Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: From mini-ITX to nano-ITX  (Read 3402 times)

Description:

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: From mini-ITX to nano-ITX
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 01:22:22 AM »
Legacy ports are just that, legacy. If you're gonna buy a brand new computer, what the heck do you need legacy ports for? Go USB all the way!

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline peroxidechickenTopic starter

• Show only replies by peroxidechicken
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 04:47:10 AM »
I've always thought a cool firewire device would be a 5 1/4 inch bay mounted break-out box with USB, ethernet, legacy ports (including PS/2) and maybe even SCSI/IDE.  It'd be a good way to shrink any future motherboard.  

If all that I/O chokes the firewire port just add another independant channel.  It'd still take up less space than a single parallel port connector.  

Just my 2c worth.   :-)
H2O2

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2003, 06:38:55 AM »
I've always thought a cool firewire device would be a 5 1/4 inch bay mounted break-out box with USB, ethernet, legacy ports (including PS/2) and maybe even SCSI/IDE. It'd be a good way to shrink any future motherboard.

After thinking about that for a minute... You're right.  SATA and SAS end up competing with/killing Firewire for bandwidth, but you could make the same thing for SAS pretty easily anyway.  Either way, then the drive cables don't have to be millions of miles long...

Of course, a standard backplane does the same thing conceptually ('CPU' module only needs to support one connector), and is probably cheaper to manufacture, but they still haven't caught on.  Getting the cables out of the way has implications for cooling but SATA/SAS mean those are tiny wires anyway.

---

Anyhow, back on topic... Technically, they'd do better a little narrower and longer (given existing designs for removable bay sleds), but this does have some implications by making standard drive enclosures perhaps suitable for clusters of 'blades.'

Now if they fit in 3.5" sleds and could abuse SCA backplanes and power for their own inter-device communication, *that'd* be a product, and some nice recycling/lowered TCO.  Until datacenter monkeys start plugging drives into cluster cases and frying servers, anyway. ;)

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2003, 07:24:46 AM »
It's right there above the USB ports

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2003, 12:37:36 PM »
Cute, but with mini-PCI it's basically a dodo as far as I'm concerned :-(

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2003, 02:45:37 PM »
Yep.. In one nice blow.. A1-lite looks old, ugly etc..

Joanna, you are one very, very sad individual.

As for these smaller motherboards, they've got me interested in hardware again, I've done the whole "Huge beast of a machine" thing already, and to be honest it's not worth it for me.  This could be the future of the general home PC market.

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2003, 02:55:22 PM »
Poster: Glaucus Date: 2003/9/25 19:22:22

If you're gonna buy a brand new computer, what the heck do you need legacy ports for?

Because they are simple, effective and much less expensive to interface.

I won't be ready to drop so-called 'legacy' ports until USB is built onto every microcontroller just like UARTs are now.  Even then, I suspect I'll prefer RS-232/48X.
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2003, 04:15:53 PM »
I agree. I have for instance a bunch of serial devices to do ISP on embedded systems. I use a LOT of serial port IO each day.

Atmel have a nice USB microcontroller, though. So I expect it won't be long until I can do ISP with USB. But even then I have embedded systems with serial IO that need interfacing.

No, I am gonna need serial ports for quite some time. Half the fun of a thing like this is to put it into an enclosure you wouldn't normally put a PC into anyway, and that means interfacing to all sorts of cool devices. Cutting down the geek factor by removing serial/parallell io AND using mini-pci (name 3 mini-pci device manufacturers quickly ;-) ) really turns it all into a dodo

Offline nDude

• Show only replies by nDude
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2003, 05:07:42 PM »
Do a google search on "USB to serial" and you'll find an ad ontop which sells USB to serial converters for 19$.

I'm sure you can find it a lot cheaper elsewhere, so please let the rest of us get rid of the legacy stuff  :-)

BTW the A-One / Mini A-One doesn't have the 12x faster USB 2.0 that this puppy has, right ?

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2003, 07:22:50 PM »
Uncharted: ... Sad? .. Dunno. a bit bored at time to time.

In this case. This particular (admittely trollish) comment was just
what I see of this. Via is well known on making their nice, well
intergated and balanced small systems. This new board looks like it's
ready to go on production any day now and most likely will be
(dependiong Cpu etc..) aroun 200USD: ...

Compared to that another 'lite'.. A lot of drooling and hype for
picture of pre-prototype (not even in final configuration) board
with lot's of 'cool featuers'.. While in reality final version is
months away (6?) and price likely to be comparable to their full size
models.

So.. Like I earlier commented.. 'lite' hss it chanches.. IF they find
a way to make it priced competitevely. Unfortunately for them
competition has just jumped a bit further away.

Offline CodeSmith

• Show only replies by CodeSmith
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2003, 09:18:06 PM »
A1-lite looks old, ugly etc..

Hey, so do you  :-P

Seriously, who buys a motherboard because it looks pretty?!?  that has to be the lamest reason to like/dislike a piece of hardware that's going to sit inside a box all of its operational life.  If you're the uber-geek who likes running hardware bare-nekkid, you're probably more worried about cache sizes and transfer rates than the shade of green they use for the circuit boards...

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2003, 11:00:58 PM »
My only beef is they should not have skipped the term micro and jumped to the term nano. It's misleading

Thats for sure Red!  I still fondly remember working on the "Mini" ModComp II 64k at NASA, wonderful elegant pre-emptive multitasking machine full of spaghetti wire warp wires.  I could stick my whole upper body in that beast.  Oh, and the diablo 1.3 megaword drive would shudder all the rack mounts if it was slightly off-balance.  So whats next? tera-micro-mini-boards?? :-?
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2003, 12:38:54 AM »
Do a google search on "USB to serial" and you'll find an ad ontop which sells USB to serial converters for 19$.

I'm sure you can find it a lot cheaper elsewhere, so please let the rest of us get rid of the legacy stuff

Mm, religion.  Point is that on the regular ITX board, there's still enough room, and they come along 'free,' especially if the 686B is your best option for reasons of price/availability/compatibility.  So no reason to ditch unless you can find something else to use up the space.

(Note that the current layout doesn't leave much room for the Cardbus promised, given the CPU riser; they *could* start sacrificing ports on the backplane for it, but that doesn't seem a very useful tradeoff.  Today's state of mind has me thinking they'll just offer a bridge on a PCI card/riser.)

Now, if there was something really worth cramming in instead, or you go down to an even-smaller form factor, sure, shave 'em if you have to, they won't be *too* sorely missed and the workarounds (USB->whatever bridges) are available.

Sort of like arguing column-shifters vs. floor-shifters on cars, here.  Do what fits the design.

BTW the A-One / Mini A-One doesn't have the 12x faster USB 2.0 that this puppy has, right ?

Which puppy?  It's not on earlier models, but it's been promised for the Lite.  Hard to say if it exists on the prototype, since we can't be sure we've seen every chip that lurks immediately behind the ports.

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2003, 01:23:13 AM »
Poster: Dietmar Date: 2003/9/25 22:25:28
> However, it lacks too many ports. Lack of a serial alone port is fatal, and parallel means I couldn't use it as a print server.

I understand it has a header for serial on-board and as to printing, USB is much better for that anyway (faster, thin cable, hot plugging).

Hmm.. Well Parallel has better error checking.. in work we use parallel on our print servers - we could use USB, but when your driving big A0 format things...
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline Nightcrawler

• Show only replies by Nightcrawler
    • http://www.amerikanskbulldog.no
« Reply #28 from previous page: September 27, 2003, 10:53:18 AM »
About the Mini-micro-nano thing:

I think Micro-ITX would be a bad choice for a name, and was probably skipped for the same reason I don't like it. There's already Micro-ATX. If you are trying to sell something 'new and revolutionary' it's usually not very clever to name it so it can be confused with something old and uninteresting.
\\"There are still places where people think that the function of the media is to provide information.\\"
 -- Don Rottenberg--