Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amy'05 Pics by Troika  (Read 10370 times)

Description:

Offline Tigger

• Show all replies
Re: Amy'05 Pics by Troika
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:03:35 AM »
First of Joanna has been around since the Commodore days, and her analysis is correct, the Troika comment "we have working boards" seems disengenous when then best they can show is a poorly designed board missing over 1/2 its components, this board doesnt run, if it were completely loaded it won't run well if at all.    
    -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Tigger

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 08:39:42 PM »

That's strange because Genesi is insisting it runs just fine on their EFIKA board which so far exists only in picture form as well. Keep on flamin' boys.

First of all, Morphos runs on Peg1 and Peg2 as 1000's have seen.  Secondly EFIKA has been at several trade shows, and you've been able to buy them for months, though only in quantities of 10.  Now that they are going to high rate production they'll be all over the place.   Comparing Efika which has been shown operating at trade shows and is available for sale to a board that only has been seen in two pictures and which is missing the majority of its components in those pictures and doesnt even make it to a trade show even in its non working state, is silly.  At this point Troika has shown less then Mick ever showed for the Boxer, and at least we knew Mick was technically competant.  When they show up with a working board running software and are ready to ship, great, till then, this, I'm coming to the show, but the board doesnt work and oh customs took the board from us crap needs to be treated as such.
     -Tig

Offline Tigger

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:45:12 PM »

Please tell me the hardware future of MorphOS,the
Peg2 may be fine hardware but lets face it it`s
future`s just as dead as the A1.Yes I know you
can still buy them but no more can be made (or at
least sold in europe , other than those already
in distribution)due to non-rohs compliance and
the design is rapidly becomming obsolete.

First of all making Peg2 RoHS compliant isnt a big issue (it may not happen because of the Peg 3 however), in addition you realize the design for Peg 2 is less obsolete then everything we've been shown for new Amiga hardware right?  I mean, Troika, ACK, etc are going to be outrun by the Peg 2, so if its obsolete what do we call these efforts?  And the Peg 3 really shows how obsolete they are and with EFIKA in the mix there is a whole price range of hardware available to run OS 4.
     -Tig

Offline Tigger

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 05:06:41 AM »

I suspect you`ll find it a whole lot more difficult than you think making the Peg 2 rohs compliant.  I don`t think Genesi would have bothered giving the specs away if they had any intention of doing so.

I suspect I've helped make a couple 100 more products RoHS compliant then you, so lets just put you down on the incorrect side of this argument.  All of the primary parts are RoHS or have RoHS drop in replacements, it took about 20 minutes to run that here.  

My bet is no more will ever be made.

That is probably true, because of the Peg 3.  And unless I have totally missed the announcement, I believe Peg 3 is still going to be made.

Could MorphOS run on it anyway? Are the MorphOS team willing given their falling out with Genesi? Although Bill Buck insists MorphOS will run on Efika we are hearing different stories elsewhere.

MorphOS can run on one processor with a little work, using both processors will require rework, but Ralph is closer to doing that then the Wonder Twins are.

Yeah the Amy 05 isn`t exactly state of the art but
then neither is the Efika.

Efika is going to list at $100, for $100 its great for the price and what its aimed at.  Amy 05 isnt a real product, the board in the picture will not run, and likely never will, lets not compare a hoax to a shipping product, as for the Panda board, its not RoHS compliant, and has much bigger issues with that then the Peg 2, though they probably are fixable.

The Peg 2 will outrun ACK`s 1.7ghz Powervixen?
I`ve got nothing against MorphOS but the shear
hatred of some of it`s advocates is disturbing,

If ACK ever ships we'll see if it outruns the fastest Peg 2, given some of the workarounds we've been told about, I wouldnt bet on it.

you seem to take great pleasure in predicting other peoples failures. If your sides so great then why not just enjoy it.

You seem to imply I'm a MorphOS fan, I'm really not, though Ralph has done some nice work with his OS.   I just think sitting around talking about how great boards so poorly designed that an engineer with any experience can tell you won't work just by looking at a picture of it, is silly and allowing Troika to continue the hoax any longer just shows how naive whats left of the Amiga community has become.   But don't take my word for it, or Joanna's or Bernd, send the pic to Dave and see what he thinks about it.
    -Tig

Offline Tigger

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »

Secondly EFIKA has been at several trade shows

Great, then bring one to Amiwest & show us EFIKA running Morphos, otherwise it's just FUD to me.

You are getting a little confused.  First of all, I have nothing to do with MorphOS or Genesi, frankly they can't afford me.   Secondly I have no intention of attending Amiwest this year, NAB and Siggraph are much more important shows for my interests.  And thirdly FUD stands for Fear Uncertainty and Doubt, none of which I am spreading.  Efika is a real product, so is the VT[4], Digital Broadcaster, and Vivid 24, none of which will be at Amiwest, it doesnt mean they don't exist, it means noone who owned one brought one to the show.   Troika's picture is of a board that cannot run, if you have running boards as they claim, they should have taken a picture of it, not this half stuffed beast that won't boot.
     -Tig

Offline Tigger

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 09:19:22 PM »

errm what is peg doing in this news ?

It appears to me that Troika started the entire MorphOS, Peg part of this thread.   Probably hoping we'd stop asking hard questions about poorly designed boards that won't work and dont have a license for 0S 4.
     -Tig