Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amy'05 Pics by Troika  (Read 10179 times)

Description:

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
Re: Amy'05 Pics by Troika
« Reply #59 from previous page: September 18, 2006, 05:50:34 PM »
Yes, but its now our "project panda" an Amy board that runs linux btw.

I know that this UDTech board runs Linux. Your way of calling it "Amy board" reminds me of Alan Redhouse relabelling the Terons as AmigaOnes. :-P
But it surely speeds up "development" considerably. Much better than waiting ages for some home-brewn Amy'05 that doesn't work in the end. And there won't be any 90 degrees electrical traces I hope? ;-)  

We are making the changes the Amiga community will need, and be good for Os4.

What about removing those strange MiniPCI-slots by the way?

But you will have to wait and see those pics "when its done tm"

I wonder how it safely managed to pass the customs on its way from the Chinese factory.  :lol:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2006, 07:15:11 PM »
Your welcome to port Mos to Amy if you wish.

MorphOS doesn't run on imaginary hardware.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2006, 07:40:22 PM »
On the bright side, with OS5 x86, does this really matter anymore for the true Amiga believers?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  reality WTF man. hope that was sarcasem as i think we will never see that os or at leased not in the next 7+ years.

I personally think that A.inc is not belivable at all and will never be any more reliable than troika at all IMO
 :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline ssolie

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »
@Piru

That's strange because Genesi is insisting it runs just fine on their EFIKA board which so far exists only in picture form as well. Keep on flamin' boys.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline deakmann

• Show only replies by deakmann
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2006, 08:33:04 PM »
@Piru

Please tell me the hardware future of MorphOS,the
Peg2 may be fine hardware but lets face it it`s
future`s just as dead as the A1.Yes I know you
can still buy them but no more can be made (or at
least sold in europe , other than those already
in distribution)due to non-rohs compliance and
the design is rapidly becomming obsolete.

There are at least 3 companies trying to make
hardware for OS4 and i`d wager one of them will
succeed, what vapourware products are there for
MorphOS? Peg 3`s gone very quiet lately take it
Bill Buck didn`t get his backing (i`d like
to see it appear btw) and could MorphOS run on it
anyway?

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2006, 08:39:42 PM »

That's strange because Genesi is insisting it runs just fine on their EFIKA board which so far exists only in picture form as well. Keep on flamin' boys.

First of all, Morphos runs on Peg1 and Peg2 as 1000's have seen.  Secondly EFIKA has been at several trade shows, and you've been able to buy them for months, though only in quantities of 10.  Now that they are going to high rate production they'll be all over the place.   Comparing Efika which has been shown operating at trade shows and is available for sale to a board that only has been seen in two pictures and which is missing the majority of its components in those pictures and doesnt even make it to a trade show even in its non working state, is silly.  At this point Troika has shown less then Mick ever showed for the Boxer, and at least we knew Mick was technically competant.  When they show up with a working board running software and are ready to ship, great, till then, this, I'm coming to the show, but the board doesnt work and oh customs took the board from us crap needs to be treated as such.
     -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline humppa

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2006, 08:42:50 PM »
That's strange because Genesi is insisting it runs just fine on their EFIKA board which so far exists only in picture form as well.

Wrong! There is also a  video!  :idea:

But let's not make this a "what prototype is better" sort of discussion - of course Amy would easily win with those "creative" way of non-working 90 degree routing.  :lol:

Concerning MOS on Efika, this is just yet another funny soap opera in Amigaland. We surely can't complain about not having enough entertainment in the forums.  ;-)

Offline Tigger

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2006, 08:45:12 PM »

Please tell me the hardware future of MorphOS,the
Peg2 may be fine hardware but lets face it it`s
future`s just as dead as the A1.Yes I know you
can still buy them but no more can be made (or at
least sold in europe , other than those already
in distribution)due to non-rohs compliance and
the design is rapidly becomming obsolete.

First of all making Peg2 RoHS compliant isnt a big issue (it may not happen because of the Peg 3 however), in addition you realize the design for Peg 2 is less obsolete then everything we've been shown for new Amiga hardware right?  I mean, Troika, ACK, etc are going to be outrun by the Peg 2, so if its obsolete what do we call these efforts?  And the Peg 3 really shows how obsolete they are and with EFIKA in the mix there is a whole price range of hardware available to run OS 4.
     -Tig

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2006, 10:14:28 PM »
back when the boxer was being worked on i thought a new amiga motherboard would be cool. now i think it is as practical as producing the long fabled 68080.
producing a new mobo would take an enormous amount of time, be out of date, buggy, and wouldnt be replaced with newer revisions before even more time went by, further out of date and received its own fair share of bugs.
i think the only practical setup would be an open hardware solution. if mick tinker had released all the boxer stuff maybe someone else could pick up were he left off and continue. noone in the amiga relm has the financing to hire engineers, but many have expertice in these areas.
again its not really practical. the motherboard of the "amiga" use most often is headquartered in korea i believe and they make more than just 2 production runs a year.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline deakmann

• Show only replies by deakmann
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2006, 11:38:33 PM »
@Tiger

I suspect you`ll find it a whole lot more difficult
than you think making the Peg 2 rohs compliant.
I don`t think Genesi would have bothered giving
the specs away if they had any intention of
doing so.
My bet is no more will ever be made. Secondly the
Peg 3 well if I recall correctly Bill Buck had
a crucial time period in which to secure support
/funding otherwise the project went belly up, since
then we`ve heard nothing. Could MorphOS run on it
anyway? Are the MorphOS team willing given their
falling out with Genesi? Although Bill Buck insists
MorphOS will run on Efika we are hearing different
stories elsewhere.
Yeah the Amy 05 isn`t exactly state of the art but
then neither is the Efika. The Peg 2 will outrun
ACK`s 1.7ghz Powervixen?
I`ve got nothing against MorphOS but the shear
hatred of some of it`s advocates is disturbing, you
seem to take great pleasure in predicting other
peoples failures. If your sides so great then
why not just enjoy it.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2006, 01:45:21 AM »
ssolie    

@Piru  
If you read the thread in that link you will see that the MorphTeam does not agree with what bbrv say (gee, what a surprise!).
MOS is a nice OS, of course, but let's not confuse the work of real programmers and developers with the words of a used car salesman.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2006, 02:46:12 AM »
@Troika

Oh do shut up.  Nobody's buying it any more.   That board didn't work, doesn't work, and won't work.  

Here and I'd thought the iWin guys had moved on!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Tigger

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2006, 05:06:41 AM »

I suspect you`ll find it a whole lot more difficult than you think making the Peg 2 rohs compliant.  I don`t think Genesi would have bothered giving the specs away if they had any intention of doing so.

I suspect I've helped make a couple 100 more products RoHS compliant then you, so lets just put you down on the incorrect side of this argument.  All of the primary parts are RoHS or have RoHS drop in replacements, it took about 20 minutes to run that here.  

My bet is no more will ever be made.

That is probably true, because of the Peg 3.  And unless I have totally missed the announcement, I believe Peg 3 is still going to be made.

Could MorphOS run on it anyway? Are the MorphOS team willing given their falling out with Genesi? Although Bill Buck insists MorphOS will run on Efika we are hearing different stories elsewhere.

MorphOS can run on one processor with a little work, using both processors will require rework, but Ralph is closer to doing that then the Wonder Twins are.

Yeah the Amy 05 isn`t exactly state of the art but
then neither is the Efika.

Efika is going to list at $100, for $100 its great for the price and what its aimed at.  Amy 05 isnt a real product, the board in the picture will not run, and likely never will, lets not compare a hoax to a shipping product, as for the Panda board, its not RoHS compliant, and has much bigger issues with that then the Peg 2, though they probably are fixable.

The Peg 2 will outrun ACK`s 1.7ghz Powervixen?
I`ve got nothing against MorphOS but the shear
hatred of some of it`s advocates is disturbing,

If ACK ever ships we'll see if it outruns the fastest Peg 2, given some of the workarounds we've been told about, I wouldnt bet on it.

you seem to take great pleasure in predicting other peoples failures. If your sides so great then why not just enjoy it.

You seem to imply I'm a MorphOS fan, I'm really not, though Ralph has done some nice work with his OS.   I just think sitting around talking about how great boards so poorly designed that an engineer with any experience can tell you won't work just by looking at a picture of it, is silly and allowing Troika to continue the hoax any longer just shows how naive whats left of the Amiga community has become.   But don't take my word for it, or Joanna's or Bernd, send the pic to Dave and see what he thinks about it.
    -Tig

Offline humppa

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2006, 07:17:42 AM »

Offline JuSho

• Show only replies by JuSho
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2006, 03:10:19 PM »
I'm really not, though Ralph has done some nice work with his OS
OS == kernel. Ralph worked on the kernel. A lot of people worked on the rest. So, well, maybe he'll get a multicore kernel to work (I don't see why the AmigaOS kernel would be worse, though). But MOS is still no 100% OS. And, no, it is not releaseable with an image on a CD which is copied to the HD and without a complete an installer and _all_ services included in the package without the need to donwload the rest. This is from a joe average consumer POV, not the geeks, who can do that now. (I don't want to say red is better than blue or vice versa. Both side will prefer their OS. And that's fine with me).

We can have endless pro-con arguments here. What the heck. What for ? Someone is trying (as do others). Some might be successfull, some might not. As long as there is no product, we are not really affected. Why do some play judge here and damn people who are trying ? If they fail ? Well, bad for them. But won't really have an effect on me - except I might saved some money.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »
Interesting post by Bernd Meyer (Amithlon) about the Amy "prototype".

:lol:
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143