Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonic the hedgehog?  (Read 14648 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
Re: Sonic the hedgehog?
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;633722
And here is the full package, so if you install Backbone (from Aminet) you can edit and continue the game yourself:
http://home.exetel.com.au/~amiga/SonicBackbone.lha

Rebel. That is really cool! I love the Sonic running past the Amiga logo!

If I download the full package do you think I can get it to run on a Minimig 1.1? It has 3.5MB ram and a 68000 at 50MHZ so it runs like a stock A3000 without the 030 instructions.

EDIT:

I downloaded the LHA files to the minimig. Backbone is complaining that it can't find Arexx and it needs that to change some parameters. I know I have a system:Rexxc directory with an "rx" command. What does it think I'm missing?

Thanks!

nate
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:13:42 AM by bbond007 »

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:40 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;674424
Hey mate, it should work fine on that system, I'd be interested to see how it performs actually.

You need to be running RexxMast, which is in your System drawer. Drop it in the WBStartup drawer so it's always running because it's essential to a lot of Amiga software.

When I tried to create the game, I got a error about something missing and later when it wanted some volume "CU"something and did not compile. Maybe i just need some Assigns or something. I'll have to learn more about Backbone...

I did try your 030 binary and that worked really well. I would say it seem about the same as my 1200 060. Anyway, one major issue on the Minimig. You can't really jump. its almost like something is tethering you to the ground. sometimes you can get out a little jump but not often. On the 1200 the jump works perfectly. The jump problem still persists out of "turbo" mode (7mhz) and the framerate is very choppy obviously. I was thinking it was the faster GFX chipset timing in "turbo" mode throwing it off. Minimig is like 4X faster than standard ECS in turbo mode. Thats not the problem though...

thanks,

nate
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:43:40 AM by bbond007 »

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;674442
Not sure what the problem could be with the Minimig, but you don't have turbo-fire switched on on your joystick do you?

Nice to know it scrolls as well as the 060. It's a shame Backbone's scrolling is a bit choppy no matter what.

I'm going to update this Sonic Backbone pack so it works properly and upload it again soon.

The joystick is a new one from ebay. I'll see if it has a turbo-fire. Also the Minimig may have something like that built in and I have somehow activated it.

I'll look into that!

it seems to scroll about the same on the Minimig. In Turbo mode. In A600 mode its a very slow. I'll be able to see more if I get that jump issue resolved.

Who knows, Minimig's ECS in turbo mode might be faster than AGA :)

Thanks.

nate

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;674442
Not sure what the problem could be with the Minimig, but you don't have turbo-fire switched on on your joystick do you?

Nice to know it scrolls as well as the 060. It's a shame Backbone's scrolling is a bit choppy no matter what.

I'm going to update this Sonic Backbone pack so it works properly and upload it again soon.

Yes. the minimig has an autofire :)
Yes. My Konix Epyx joystick from ebay has autofire.

The were both OFF. however I think the joystick must be broken. I tried this imitation genesis gamepad and sonic jumps great.

I really think it runs as well on the minimig as it does on my 1200!

Yes, i have tried a few backbone games and the scrolling is always makes every game seem like an Atari ST port :)

Still pretty impressive for a game creator.

thanks!

nate

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:53 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;674571
Anyway, here's the new package, feel free to download and build your own Sonic levels to play: http://home.exetel.com.au/~amiga/SonicBackbone.lha

Your new LHA fixes the issues from before.

Unfortunately I think the Minimig is running out of RAM before it manages to to finish compiling. I'm sure my 1200 is up to the task no problem :)

Thanks for the game!

nate

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:54:34 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;674594
I have a same problem on my A1200 with 64MB RAM, it will not finish compiling and it tells me to contact the Programmer.
I cant run the game.

I have the same problem on my Amiga 1200 with 060 80MB RAM and my Minimig with 2MB chip and 1.5MB fast ram. "Error in creating the game. E-mail the Programmer"

I'm going to try giving it more stack.

Thanks!

nate
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:28:52 AM by bbond007 »

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;675218
Just played it, it's pretty good, where did you get the sprites?  I somehow managed to fall off the level :roflmao:

His jumping action is pretty weird, he just goes straight up and then comes straight back down again, I guess this is backbone's fault.  He seems to have sideways inertia though.

here are some more sonic sprites

http://biggysprites.smackjeeves.com/comics/573428/sonic-sprites-sonic-advence/
http://www.freewebs.com/nigahog/Sonic%203%20sprites/Sonic%20Action%20Stage.png

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;675543
I like it, very nice. I wonder if the music could be redone in 3 channels and fourth one used for game sounds, so the music is not interrupted when game sounds are on. Rhythm, base and music .
I wonder if Metal Slug would be possible using backbone? It's my all time favorite run and shoot game.

Edit, The demo works fine in A1200 030 50MHz.

Even the turbo one works great on a 68000 50mhz Minimig 1.1.

Thanks!