Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public release of MorphOS 3.2  (Read 28782 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
Re: Public release of MorphOS 3.2
« Reply #59 from previous page: June 05, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
Hey Crumb! Another spanish amigan :D

Unless you plan to run your OS hosted like AROS I would prefer avoiding ARM hardware as the interesting bits like 3D&Video acceleration are usually closed source and the support is achieved through the use of binary objects supplied by manufacturer.

Well, I can program the accelerated DispmanX interface on the Raspberry Pi without any binary blobs. It's enough for an accelerated desktop compositor, as you can see in the Wayland for Raspberry Pi project.

About Raspberry Pi: even wondered why there's no proper Android port? the cpu is very weak without GPU assistance.

That's not true at all. The Rpi foundation has expressed many times that they're not wasting resources on a proper Android port with full hardware integration because running this OS is not among the Rpi project goals. And I understand it perfectly. I ran Android on the Pandaboard_ES for a while (with both accelerated video and audio APIs) and I came to the conclusion that it's nonsense to have it as a development/experimentation/desktop OS.
Rpi's CPU may not be very fast, but there's no Android platform running the graphical layer on the CPU: it's naturally bounded to GPUs.

This is the future of Amiga OS, the only possible future it has in the long term. Behold, for you will remember my words: AROS on an open hardware platform. It's already booting on the Pi.
When this OS4/MOS absurdity ends, open source Amiga OS will rule, as it's naturally destined to be.

http://www.imagecheese.net/images/img2013031.jpg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:41:06 PM by gaula92 »

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 03:48:48 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;736901

When this OS4/MOS absurdity ends, open source Amiga OS will rule, as it's naturally destined to be.

http://www.imagecheese.net/images/img2013031.jpg

pass me some of what he's smoking.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline pVC

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;736892
Just imagine MOS being released on the Raspberry Pi. That's a HUGE opportunity to get a good piece of OS market share!

Uh, no thanks. I don't think we'd need any other Efika like experience anymore. MorphOS is for desktop use and it needs memory nowadays, and reasonable powerful CPU doesn't hurt either.

You just couldn't run for example OWB reasonably with Pi's memory.

Switching from PPC to anything else will be really HUGE job. Unti you can't have much better specced system there isn't any point to talk about it. I'll think Pi's life is over before we could get MorphOS ported to it. I bet it's forgotten soon when you get little more powerful comparable systems available. It just got little hype, but that won't last too long. We'd need long term continuity and availablility for any systems we go. Used Macs have been sold that much during the years, that they are safe bet for now.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;736901

Well, I can program the accelerated DispmanX interface on the Raspberry Pi without any binary blobs. It's enough for an accelerated desktop compositor, as you can see in the Wayland for Raspberry Pi project.

oh! it seems that 6 months ago Broadcom opensourced some closed source drivers and that most manofacturers won't give you access to the sources.

I was looking at the sources and it looked like external libraries to me (closed source ones until 6 months ago, like most ARM stuff out there).
-DUSE_EXTERNAL_OMX -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST
src/rpi-bcm-stubs.h

That's not true at all. The Rpi foundation has expressed many times that they're not wasting resources on a proper Android port with full hardware integration because running this OS is not among the Rpi project goals.

Afaik Broadcom lost interest on it and without opensource drivers it was more difficult, but I may be wrong

And I understand it perfectly. I ran Android on the Pandaboard_ES for a while (with both accelerated video and audio APIs)

If the manofacturer of a motherboard (sold with linux as main OS) didn't even support LINUX it would be sad, wouldn't it? That doesn't mean the chip manofacturer is going to supply valuable information to develop drivers for some strange, unknown OS

and I came to the conclusion that it's nonsense to have it as a development/experimentation/desktop OS.
Rpi's CPU may not be very fast, but there's no Android platform running the graphical layer on the CPU: it's naturally bounded to GPUs.

it's linux after all.

This is the future of Amiga OS, the only possible future it has in the long term.

Running on ARM instead of x86-64? I don't think so. Phone me when you use ARM desktops. Do you compile all your ARM stuff on x86-64 machines or do you use those ARM toys? Just curious, because most of people developing for ARM simply crosscompile from a serious proper and fast machine.

Behold, for you will remember my words: AROS on an open hardware platform. It's already booting on the Pi.

I read Kalamatee's message on Aros-Dev list some time ago,

It's funny but sometimes linux users preach about opensourceness while they are using closed source drivers :-) It seems they confuse linux with opensourceness and don't know that if something runs linux or runs on top on linux it doesn't mean everything is opensourced or documented.

I would prefer using some nice i7 with a powerful Radeon instead of a toy. But people advocating for ARM usually doesn't even use amiga like systems at all so they don't feel the need of power. Do you use your Raspberry Pi as your main computer? don't you? If you don't then perhaps your arguments are bogus.

I like opensource but I like OS variety. Now go spam linux users complaining about distro absurdity and ask them to join a single distro.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
Quote from: pvc;736909
uh, no thanks. I don't think we'd need any other efika like experience anymore. Morphos is for desktop use and it needs memory nowadays, and reasonable powerful cpu doesn't hurt either.

You just couldn't run for example owb reasonably with pi's memory.

Switching from ppc to anything else will be really huge job. Unti you can't have much better specced system there isn't any point to talk about it. I'll think pi's life is over before we could get morphos ported to it. I bet it's forgotten soon when you get little more powerful comparable systems available. It just got little hype, but that won't last too long. We'd need long term continuity and availablility for any systems we go. Used macs have been sold that much during the years, that they are safe bet for now.

qft
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline zyleseaTopic starter

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »
Quote from: gaula92;736894
Well, I would prefer an good-priced board  that's not a deadend and cheap to replace, like the Raspberry Pi. What we have now, overpriced deadend hardware (OS4) or legacy Apple crapware (MOS) is not desirable at all.
I wouldn't touch an OS4 board with a 10mts pole, if you're talking about that.

But it's Amiga we're talking about. Rational decisions that are good for both final users and developers aren't very common in Amiga-land.

It has the best user community I have ever seen, tough :)

The raspberry pi is underwhelming weak. It's appeal is the low price while able to replay full hd. A driver for the gfx accelerator for MorphOS would be rather unrealistic to expect. What would remain is a weak small board with few connectors.
A mac mini is not much more expensive (if you count in PSU, case, MSD), but way more powerful.
Next target: x64!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;736913
The raspberry pi is underwhelming weak. It's appeal is the low price while able to replay full hd. A driver for the gfx accelerator for MorphOS would be rather unrealistic to expect. What would remain is a weak small board with few connectors.
A mac mini is not much more expensive (if you count in PSU, case, MSD), but way more powerful.
Next target: x64!

Perhaps x32 would be an easier target?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
some of the "NG" fans are high without even needing something :-)

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
maybe easier, but to be future proof you should make most new things in the one jump that introduces incompabilities. Hence, x64 directly.

Offline TheMagicM

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
As interesting as it sounds ....let's steer this topic back to 3.2 MorphOS and not porting to other platforms.

Offline Acill

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
I just picked up a very nice MDD 1GHZ Powermac for $60 in my area. You can find some great systems if you just look. I dont see the point in wasting time writing in support for something like the Pi when you have a solution like this.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
The problem is that, any strategy/action might seem pointless if no one envisioned the objective.
What's exactly the "objective" for MorphOS/AROS/AmigaOS4?

For Apple and Microsoft it was always clear: Grow their users base as much close as possible to 100% market share.

If they're trying to "recreate"/"reimagine" what using an Amiga would be nowadays, maybe the best parallel with Commodore would be... Apple and they ended up with "a selected subset" of x86. I'll get back to this later.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »
mos, os4... are hobby OS, nothing more, but some people here think like a CEO
a1200 060

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;736941

Might not be such a bad thing.  Linux was once just a hobby OS.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;736941

Well, not me...
That's why I asked about what's the objective. You say "Hobby OS". Fine.
Can you please help me with that definition? I tried Wikipedia with no luck....
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;736937
The problem is that, any strategy/action might seem pointless if no one envisioned the objective.
What's exactly the "objective" for MorphOS?

AFAIU: Making a good Amigaish OS and having fun.
World domination probably was #3 on that list.