Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I have a new in box Commodore Amiga 1000 Prototype  (Read 18582 times)

Description:

Offline Pentad

Re: I have a new in box Commodore Amiga 1000 Prototype
« Reply #104 from previous page: May 31, 2010, 03:42:28 AM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;562169
Fortunately there seems to be more and more people collecting the computers now so there is more of a chance of the technology surviving. My collections will stay safe till I die at least but after that.... well who knows.

scuzz
http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com

Scuzz,

I appreciate what you are trying to say and I think its great but you are also an example of one of the issues that I see.   Your collection could be awesome but its a private collection.  I'm not saying that you wouldn't be kind enough if somebody was doing some sort of research that you would help them out but your archive is invisible to researchers.  

Please, don't think that I'm saying anything negative but as you stated who maintains your collection after you're gone?

I wanted to share another example with all of you.  I was writing a paper linking fear, computers (technology) and nuclear war in the 1980s.   I wanted some articles from some big name magazines from the time:  Creative Computing, Compute!, Byte, etc...

I emailed the head of the university library where I worked for help.  You know what?  I couldn't find any of the articles through easy to use regular channels anymore.   I had to jump through a whole bunch of hoops but when I asked why the librarian mentioned a new term to me:  Extinction through popularity.   These magazines had been so popular, so large, that many libraries just threw them out thinking others will carry them because they are were popular.   Well, it turned out none of them kept them.

I mean I understand why from a current technology point of view but if you wanted to look back it became problematic.

So, anyway, there is my rant...  :-)

Cheers!
-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline mknktTopic starter

• Show only replies by mknkt
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2010, 06:33:54 AM »
The auction ended at $1526... I got on a sight called Craigslist (a free want ads sight ) and went to the free section.  Someone had posted an ad that he had a lot of computer equipment for free, so I called and I was the first caller.  While my buddy and I were going through the equipment, I mentioned that my first pc was a commodore 64 and he said he had one new in the box.  I got it home and after a few days I opened up the box and saw that it wasn't a 64, so I started researching it and... "Now you know the rest of the story"  Thanks for everyone's support and hopefully the winner will give us some more in depth info on this development system...

Offline Steady

« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »
+1 for a dump of the roms if possible.

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
Quote from: Steady;562356
+1 for a dump of the roms if possible.

I like that the Commodore brand is recessed into front of the casework.  The A1000 was really nice. You know a couple of low profile zorro slots instead of the slap on the side expansion would have made this a perfect design. The Keyboard garage was usefull.

Offline JGB

• Show only replies by JGB
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
The white rectangular barcode sticker on top of the Federal Express Priority sticker shows that it went through the FedEx hub.  The hub did three levels of sorting on all packages, based on the Zipcode.  In the primary sort, the Zipcode was keyed in, which action generated this sticker.  The values on the sticker were used in the secondary and tertiary sorts to get the package on the right plane back out of Memphis.  It won't tell you much beyond maybe the recipient zipcode.

Offline mknktTopic starter

• Show only replies by mknkt
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2010, 09:44:29 AM »
I can't believe how many views this thread has... WOW:eek:

Offline mcb

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by mcb
    • https://mike.pub
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
I think this thread deserves an update and a link to the two recently rediscovered Velvet systems:

http://scacom.bplaced.net/Collection/velvet/velvet.php