Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ottawa Amiga Show: AmigaOne Micro "C" show pricing  (Read 2054 times)

Description:

Offline terminatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by terminator
    • http://valleynet.on.ca/~michael
Ottawa Amiga Show: AmigaOne Micro "C" show pricing
« on: November 18, 2004, 09:08:04 PM »
Interested in purchasing an AmigaOne Micro C motherboard or system? Or seeing the first boards in North America? Or just the future of Amiga computing?  An added attraction, AmigaOne Serial Number 1 will be at the Ottawa Amiga Show.

I am posting this information those seriously interested in purchasing an AmigaOne Micro "C", so you will have an idea of costs and the payment methods available. You should also take into account the exchange rates for the Canadian and American dollar.

AmigaOne Micro "C" boards will be available for purchase at the show. Local AmigaOne reseller Livewire Systems will be on hand, offering Ottawa Amiga Show attendees special show deals.

All prices are in Canadian Dollars.

Micro A1 pricing from Livewire Systems!

Livewire Systems has announced their show specials on the AmigaOne Micro "C" motherboards and systems.

AmigaOne Micro "C" Motherboard:

Package includes AmigaOne Micro "C" motherboard, 256M of RAM, and OS4.

Ottawa Amiga Show AmigaOne Micro "C" Special Show Price: $1000.

(C$1000 in US Funds is about $840 as of Nov 17. Your price will vary depending on current exchange rates.)

Complete AmigaOne Micro "C" Systems, from $1300. For more details: http://www.livewiresystems.ca/products/dsp_view.cfm?id=44 for more info.

All prices do not include any applicable taxes, or shipping. If applicable, Ontario Sales Tax and Federal GST are 15% of the purchase price.

[color=FF3300]Livewire Systems is offering a 5% discount for cash.[/color]
Terms: Cash (Canadian funds, cheque, money order, or travellers cheques.)

For more details, contact Livewire Systems directly at http://www.livewiresystems.ca/

(This information is posted for reference purposes only. E&OE. Exchange rates are subject to change and may incur additional fees at your bank.)

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
Re: Ottawa Amiga Show: AmigaOne Micro "C" show pri
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:36:44 PM »
Pity the A1 board is so horribly expensive (for what you get), puts people off.

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 11:16:33 AM »
I agree. If I had that amount of money spare, which I don't, I'd be looking at an Athlon 64 system, and still have money left for a slap up meal with the missus ;-)
I like Amigas

Offline danamania

• Show only replies by danamania
    • http://www.danaquarium.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 04:35:48 PM »
Maybe I'm having a blind day, but does that livewire page say what CPU comes with those particular µA1-C systems? The only specs I see list it as:

"- The µA1-C, just like the XE systems has a MagArray 300 connector for PPC processors made by IBM and Motorola and will handle G3/G4 CPU's up to their current clocking limits"

Does this mean it doesn't come with a CPU? or that the system advertised (The one at http://www.livewiresystems.ca/products/dsp_view.cfm?id=44 for $1096US - not just the motherboard/ram/os4 package) is the same price no matter which CPU is ordered?

dana

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 06:27:03 PM »
I believe those are all G3 units. G4 CPU upgrades for Micro A1 are not yet available to consumers, AFAIK...

Offline dmac721

• Show only replies by dmac721
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 06:33:06 PM »
Yeah it's because some genius decided to go with overly priced G3/G4 architecture. :-(

Offline JKD

• Show only replies by JKD
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 06:43:28 PM »
$1,000 for a G3 system???? Are they mad? I'd expected at least a G4-1GHz!!! (Yes I'm aware that clock for clock, they're pretty much comparable except for Altivec.)

Offline woof

• Show only replies by woof
    • http://uae.is.free.fr
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 09:02:01 AM »
Exactly the Altivec is the only thing that can be fun to code (in the Old Blitter way of the term) and can give a serious boost to Amiga against other PC
(for those who dont know Altivec is like a 4 cpu parallel unit = can multiply/divide/add/etc four 32 bits operands per instruction or manipulate (copy)128bits raw data per instruction it is somehow an CPU+FPU 128 bits blitter)
If only we can assume that mainstream Amigas got an Altivec ...

Alain

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 09:32:24 AM »
$1,000 for a G3 system???? Are they mad?

*cough*

To be fair, it at least has built-in graphics, which is at least SOME improvement from the AmigaOne released quite some time ago *hint hint*.

I can't believe they're still using that damned Missing In Action chipset, either.

I'd expected at least a G4-1GHz!!! (Yes I'm aware that clock for clock, they're pretty much comparable except for Altivec.)

I just bought an Asus P4 3.2Ghz motherboard for a friend for $120.  It has four Serial-ATA ports, RAID IDE, eight USB 2.0 ports, HD Audio, uses cheap DRAM, Gigabit LAN, has no fans at all on the motherboard...

...of course, it also has that horrible, horrible LGA socket and rediculously flimsy and unstable "snap-on" Intel cooler.  Amiga isn't the only one who's gone mad.

Offline terminatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by terminator
    • http://valleynet.on.ca/~michael
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 01:45:01 PM »
Quote:

Quote:  $1,000 for a G3 system???? Are they mad?

*cough*

To be fair, it at least has built-in graphics, which is at least SOME improvement from the AmigaOne released quite some time ago *hint hint*.

---

Some people do need to re-read the article.  The price quoted is in  
[color=009900]CANADIAN[/color][/b] dollars.

The typical price is about US$840.  "US$" means the money that is used for transactions in the US.

In addition, the vendor is offering the board complete with OS4 and a stick of RAM.  The RAM isn't as easy to find, as it was used in the Powerbooks, not your generic desktop PC. That's what you get for your US$840.

The RAM and the OS included might be worth C$250.  So that is only C$750 for the board.  Or US$629.  But the RAM/OS combo could be worth more or less too.

Plus the fact is, with the way the US dollar is freefalling, it probably won't get any cheaper.

So these quotes of $1000 for the motherboard are misleading.

The vendor could charge more too.  After he is offering a cash discount, and isn't exactly making a lot of money on the deal.

Offline danamania

• Show only replies by danamania
    • http://www.danaquarium.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 04:08:09 PM »

>  $1,000 for a G3 system???? Are they mad?

So these quotes of $1000 for the motherboard are misleading.

The system I was referring to (and a few others) was $1096US, it's the one on http://www.livewiresystems.ca/products/dsp_view.cfm?id=44 - so half of us were talking one system, the others talking the motherboard/os4 combo for $1000.

Offline Sparky

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 05:54:53 PM »
And it really matters that it's in Canadian dollars ?!?

The A1 is just expensive plain and simple!  I'm not saying it's overpriced because there isn't much else to compare it too ... unless you spend only a little extra and get a complete iMac (but then that would be a G5 system)

Unless the price somehow comes down then it's just going to be a very small niche market and we'll be waving goodbye toyet another Amiga company as they fold ... pity!

Offline ackcontrols

• Show only replies by ackcontrols
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 03:11:46 PM »
No, we're not mad.  The majority of the boards in this first shipment are also 750GX CPUs which run significantly cooler than the original 7455 G4 and also perform amazingly well, actually faster in non-Altivec applications.  From a pricing point of view for a system, the pricing is quite aggressive.  If you find a better value on a comparably equipped system, please let me know.  

Also, we will be announcing special user group pricing in the near future.

Adam Kowalczyk

ACK Software Controls

Offline Sparky

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 08:33:08 PM »
Better value comparable system ?  Oh ok then :

Apple eMac

But then this isn't comparable is it ? It's got faster memory, faster CPU, a monitor and all the other bits and bobs to make a complete system .. oh yes and an OS that is finished!

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 09:14:23 PM »
@Sparky:

Supply and demand. How could Eyetech possibly produce cheap A1 motherboards, when the Amiga market is so small? I'm sure the boards would be much cheaper if there was a bigger demand, however there isn't, so they are forced to sell at profit so that the wheels would at least SOMEHOW be in motion.

Besides, I'm sure that LiveWireSystems do not make any fancy profits on these boards and system bundles.