Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dr. Garry Hare Amiwest Speech  (Read 7184 times)

Description:

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
Re: Dr. Garry Hare Amiwest Speech
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 27, 2004, 02:21:16 PM »
"....that AmigaOS will be ported to ARM."

To a yet another little endian CPU?

"We know that OS4 has employed good design practice and has a HAL so it's quite easy to port to other platforms without any big upheavals."

It would break binary compatibility, unless that's why KMOS now sees intent to be important alongside AOS.

"The questions that remain therefore, is how do the teams at Hyperion and KMOS fit together? Who will do the ARM port? Who will develop the higher levels of OS4 further? Will priorities mean that OS4 development slows or loses out in favour of development that will make the system more scalable?"

Reality is that the desktop niche most likely would not be enough anyway. So AOS needs to scale.

"Also unrelated but interesting. Will the ARM port gain greater focus than the PPC version?"

I think there will not be ARM port of AOS in near future.
ARM is not needed. ARM or Xscale is not scaleable and powerfull enough. Today PowerPC fits in "bigger than PDA" sized products (mobile even) and PPC cores are not that much harder to embed. Tomorrow... we'll see.
And I'm pretty sure that KMOS is not stupid enough to go against Symbian&friends with their own cell phone OS, only M$ is.
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2004, 03:33:38 PM »

It would break binary compatibility, unless that's why KMOS now sees intent to be important alongside AOS.

If they want to run on mobile devices (as Garry has plainly said) then the only other option would be to port AmigaOS to Intent.  But Intent is no operating system, it must be hosted.  So running AmigaOS on Intent on the host's OS on the hardware doesn't seem "small and fast"...

I think there will not be ARM port of AOS in near future.
ARM is not needed. ARM or Xscale is not scaleable and powerfull enough. Today PowerPC fits in "bigger than PDA" sized products (mobile even) and PPC cores are not that much harder to embed. Tomorrow... we'll see.

ARM is more than suitable for mobile devices.  That's why Nokia, Ericsson, Panasonic & co are using it right now to run SymbianOS on their devices.

Symbian has practically a monopoly on the mobile device market - almost all of these devices sold uses ARM processors, there is no reason why this would change in the future.

Compaq isn't going to start producing computers with PowerPC because it doesn't run the OS everyone uses (Windows).

Just like Nokia isn't going to start producing PowerPC phones, because it doesn't run the OS everyone uses (Symbian).

If you want to make a new OS to run on mobile devices, then it must run on ARM.

And I'm pretty sure that KMOS is not stupid enough to go against Symbian&friends with their own cell phone OS, only M$ is.

From reading the speech and the interview, this seems to be exactly what KMOS is doing!  I'm as dubious as you are about how successful they can be....

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2004, 08:38:28 PM »
Guys, where the hell are you getting that AOS4 is going to be, or even should be ported to ARM? AmigaDE will most likely be ported to ARM but not OS4. And do you really think they're going to be able to go from PPC AOS to an Intent AOS just like that(snaps fingers). C'mon, get a grip. We'll count ourselves lucky if AOS makes it to another PPC platform, mobile or otherwise.

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2004, 03:48:01 AM »
ARM

Well, I'm not sure any processor is going to hold a monopoly seeing how practically everything written for cell phones these days is done with Java.  My brother-in-law works for Nokia, and Java is pretty much the only language they use.

It'd be much easier to overtake Symbian on PDAs than to displace Windows on the PC.  I don't follow the PDA scene, but what about TabletPC and PocketPC?  Those don't run on ARM, do they?

Offline tekmage

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2004, 08:52:54 AM »
Here's my take on what they should do with Amiga OS and Amiga DE.  First it's all about the app.  An os is nothing with out a reason to run it.  I've got a great peice of hardware in my A4000 but with nothing to run on it I might as well throw it away.  We all know that the OS enables to the hardware, we all know that applications are why we use computers.  

So look at all the applications for the Palm pilot.  There are 10's of thousands of them, some good some bad but they all suffer one major flaw, they only work on the Palm.  Look at Symbian Series 60, hundreds of apps with the same flaw.  Look at UIQ, pocket PC, MacOS X, Windows.  Each of them has their applications and all those application only run on their system.  Sure you can emulate but we all know how well that works.  

It was for this reason that Intent, Java, Brew and things like app forge where born.  Each has advantages and disadvantages.  Hell C was designed to solve this problem too.  It's evident from the market today that no technology was truly won.  Certainly java is popular but have you used a java application on a UIQ device?  My god it sucks.  if intent lives up to the claims that Bill McEwen and Flecy have been making for it you would think they have a winner.  I know I've not mentioned the Amiga OS, I'm getting there.  So lets say we have an application and really there are applications and then there are applications.  My AIM client is just as much an application as lightwave.  Photoshop and notepad.  See a trend.  There are a certain class of applications which lend them selfs to be small and there are applications which need to be big, in some cases freaking huge (#? office anyone?)  My point is it might make sence to have a text editor for Amiga DE but it might not make sense to have Open Office.  So how do you design a product that lets you get a peice of all this action, the mobile space and the desktop space?  How do you build a system that allows users to do what they want and more importantly willing to pay for?  A system that allows applications to run everywhere when needed but allows desginers to use the power only a desktop can afford?

You sell both.  You sell a desktop type system and you sell a mobile type system.  You sell Amiga OS and Amiga DE.  Amiga DE should always have the ability to run on a whole bunch of things, Intent allows that.  More importantly is that TAO pays to make sure Intent runs on everything and Amiga gets to use it.  Amiga OS on the other hand can be more restrictive on the hardware side.  There can be reference designs and certain requirements about chip sets and whatnot and still make it small and fast.  Maybe in the near future desktop is really settop.  But my point is this.  Take ComCast cable in the US.  Very large company lots of money to spend.  Call them up.  "Hey ComCast, what makes you the most money?", ComCast might say "We make a killing on this PPV stuff, it's great!".  Garry says "Cool, I hear your looking to sell more if it, think having a system that let users view PPV from  almost any device in their house would help you sell it?".  ComCast responds "What kind of devices?  thinks like laptops and windows?".  Garry smiles and saids "Actually our delivery system works with tons of cellphones, tablets, laptops, desktops.  Hell we don't even require windows, this thing just runs.  It's a great system.  We've got a settop box which handles all the billing, delivery, data management and allows you to fully customize it.  It can even browse the web and send email".  ComCast replys "Hm, you busy tomorrow?  We should talk".

In my little story the Settop is an Micro-AmigaOne with AmigaOS and Intent+DE runing on whatever with a client application.  

That's just one option.  But face it, if Amiga/KMOS/Who ever's business plan is to sell you to and I we are doomed.  It's going to take 10's of millions of dollars to get the Amiga to a state where it can compete against Windows and just is not worth it yet.  If they can get ComCast to trial the system I described it would move 10's of thousands of units, if they brought it we are talking millions of boxes.  

It makes sense to me ;p

Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2004, 08:55:15 AM »
>>It would break binary compatibility, unless that's why KMOS now sees intent to be important alongside AOS.
>If they want to run on mobile devices (as Garry has plainly said) then the only other option would be to port AmigaOS to Intent.

"mobile devices" covers huge set of devices, not just cell phones as we know them.

And I think KMOS is not stupid enough to try to push AmigaOS to current cell phones with current processors.

Especially, there's absolutely no room for AOS on symbian devices (no physically or otherwise).

After a few more thoughts:   ARM CPU is a minor thing in the whole mobile space.

> But Intent is no operating system, it must be hosted. So running AmigaOS on Intent on the host's OS on the hardware doesn't seem "small and fast"...

Absolutely.

>ARM is more than suitable for mobile devices. That's why Nokia, Ericsson, Panasonic & co are using it right now to run SymbianOS on their devices.
>Symbian has practically a monopoly on the mobile device market - almost all of these devices sold uses ARM processors, there is no reason why this would change in the future.

You are talking about cell phones. There is no room for AmigaOS on any symbian devices.  AmigaOS can not target Symbian devices.

(And companies you mentioned do a lot more than just cell phones, just a side note, but anyway. All of them already use and are familiar with PowerPC.)

ARM cores are integrated in phone media/telecom chips. Also MIPS and PowerPC cores are possible to be integrated if SymbianOS (binaries) is not used. If binaries are not used, there's no absolute must to use ARM either, and especially so with the enterntainment chip of the device. (phone stuff and JAVA stuff run in separate spaces, often on separate CPU/MPU)

> there is no reason why this would change in the future.

I think there is no reason for a cell phone to switch to AmigaOS. It would need to be something new...

>Compaq isn't going to start producing computers with PowerPC because it doesn't run the OS everyone uses (Windows).

Right.

>Just like Nokia isn't going to start producing PowerPC phones, because it doesn't run the OS everyone uses (Symbian).

Right.
Except that Nokia can get Symbian ported to any CPU, most (user) apps run on top of JAVA anyway.
And there is also no reason for Nokia to use AmigaOS.
And there is no absolute reason to use the bulk chip from philips that a lot of smaller companies use.

Asian market and asian cell phone manufacturers might have other interests, though...  (there are those who do not use WinCE or Symbian, tens of millions of phones, etc.)

(I wonder what CPU does MyOrigo use (another phone, intent based, with Finnish origins) ....   perhaps ARM, though, as one can buy cell phone chip with ARM from the local shop, grocery shop even.)

>If you want to make a new OS to run on mobile devices, then it must run on ARM.

If you plan to reflash Nokia (etc) cell phones to use AmigaOS, then yes. In practice it's impossible to make business with it.

Also. Several phones use more than one CPU. There might be one handling the phone side and some other handling PDA/enterntainment side.

>>And I'm pretty sure that KMOS is not stupid enough to go against Symbian&friends with their own cell phone OS, only M$ is.
>From reading the speech and the interview, this seems to be exactly what KMOS is doing! I'm as dubious as you are about how successful they can be....

Hmmm... Garry did mentione phone use several times. I thought it was mainly as an example and (only) as a one possible client/user of their mediasystem.

But ok. I'm not sure any more. It would need to be some new device, some new comer from asia perhaps, most likely not for European(/rest of the world) standards...

The competition is hard. Companies work heavily to try to differentiate from the rest as their advantage, find new sub niches perhaps, without loosing the mainstream.

I can not see how KMOS could gain any signifficant ground there... not anytime soon ... only remotely possible would be companies outside WindowsCE and Symbian users. How many there is? How big are their markets?

Interesting.
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2004, 03:22:46 PM »
PocketPC? Those don't run on ARM

Yes, it does. StronARM and Xscale...
Beating the dead horse since 2002.