Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 Roadshow for Australia Announced  (Read 2775 times)

Description:

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
Re: OS4 Roadshow for Australia Announced
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 19, 2003, 06:26:17 PM »
cecilia said:
i wish everyone in Australia a good time! wish i could be there.
love those sexy accents! :-D

@cecilia, may I reccomend THESE DVDs? Other Aussies may groan but they can be a good laugh.
Barry Humphries' legendary

THE ADVENTURES OF BARRY McKENZIE
(30th Anniversary Edition)

Stars: Barry Crocker, Barry Humphries, Spike Milligan, Peter Cook, and Dennis Price. Introducing Paul Bertram as Curly.

Long before the "gross-out" comedies Something About Mary, Dumb And Dumber, American Pie, Me, Myself & Irene, Road Trip etc, Bruce Beresford's film of Barry Humphries' PRIVATE EYE comic strip THE ADVENTURES OF BARRY McKENZIE (the world's first gross-out comedy) shocked its financiers, the Australia Government, with its portrayal of Australians as drinking, shagging, vomiting, urinating vulgarians. The British press were equally horrified with the English portrayed as upper class perverts, poofters, lezzas, swindlers, exploiters and idiots.

The Adventures Of Barry McKenzie
Barry McKenzie Holds His Own
Edna's nephew Barry and his chums (including a permanently intoxicated Clive James) have to travel into darkest Transylvania (on Vamp-Air) to rescue his aunt, Dame Edna, whose been mistaken for the Queen by Count Erich Von Plasma, a transylvanian vampire and head of a Stalinist state which has no tourist industry.

In the course of this film there are numerous sight gags and sub plots most of which are either racist, sexist or both. The French and the Poms are the main targets, although a scene involving a van loan of illegal immigrants and a DHSS office would not be tolerated if it were filmed today.
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2003, 11:36:37 PM »
MarkTime mumbled:
We know they can't show OS 4
:-? Whence this certainty, Mark?  We know that they CAN show OS 4, because we saw it at running at Amiwest, months back.  If anything, it will be even more advanced at these upcoming shows.

:roll: You really need to get out more.

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2003, 05:32:09 AM »
I must say that I’m pleasantly surprised that Australia got OS4 before the UK.

1) I always thought the user bass wasn’t as high as it was in Europe.

2) Brit has twice as many people (or close to) than Australia

3) It’d be much easier to organise an event in Britain because no matter where you are, I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a large travel to get there. Because Britain is about the size of Victoria..

And In Australia, the location of the events scheduled so far (including Melbourne which isn’t scheduled yet) only makes OS4 available to the eastern half of Australia, which I guess would be something like 11-15 million?

Although, I f you took into account the more rural people, that'd be much less...

So, I think its very weird :) I’m sure the UK will have one soon enough. If Australia can pull one together, I’d say the UK would be able to.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Rodney

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2003, 05:43:05 AM »

Funny you should say that.. I know two people going overseas for 12 months (Japan/Canada) and when they came back took a while to get used to the (read: annoying) Australian accent again... weird, especially since *they* didn't lose their own accent, just weren't used to hearing it

Fun you should say that, i had a friend that went to England or Wales or both for a while and she was working over there... so she was there long enough to get used to the accent... Then I don’t know where it was, maybe boarding the plan to get home, she heard two female Australians and she said it drove her up the wall...

but to be fair, the Australia Accent is very rugged, and is much suited for men. I think it makes us sound more manly.. so even us geeks can sound a little rugged, as if we've had some sunshine :)...

On females, it’s no good...

but I think its the opposite for England. Its great on females and would have to be my favorite... I love that English chick on the Yankee sitcom  fraiser. Very cute…

But unfortunately, it makes the guys sound a little... well, im not going to say cause i'll be flamed like all hell...

Offline Rodney

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2003, 05:47:25 AM »

The Adventures Of Barry McKenzie
Barry McKenzie Holds His Own

I know this may be Unpatriotic, but I only heard about this fello, or at least saw his stuff, only a few months back… And couldn’t believe the stuff they were saying because, when it was made, it was done before all the politically correct stuff was around, and I had no idea just how much of an impact it had made on Australia. They way they used to openly curse the homosexuals and ethnic people… I could understand how disgusting people may find it, and it was, but you’ve just gota laugh at it… you’ll never see stuff like this made every again… they’d lock you up and throw away the key :)

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2003, 07:53:59 AM »
you’ll never see stuff like this made every again… they’d lock you up and throw away the key :)
Always the non-PC stuff is the best! ;-)

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2003, 06:48:29 PM »
The really weird thing is - the soundtrack of the movies is uncensored but, the extras on the DVDs which include interviews have their film clips vulgarities 'tooted-out'!

Barry McKenzie Holds His Own, although being in English (sort of) has, as a bit of comedy, Bazza's own words repeated in the English Subtitle! Of course, it doesn't fully match up, but does lend an extra dimention!

One BIG laugh is the portrayal of prospective UK migrants-to-Australia having to undergo Game Show type questioning so that they can prove their worthyness, at Australia House.

Another is Bassa's gaol-break via a centuries-old boat moored underground in a sewer. Since the oars have long since rotted away, he uses his hands and gets to speak the immortal complaint- "Now I'm really up *hit Creek witout a paddle!"

Its interesting to see Edna (Barry Humphries) before Damehood!
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody