Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4 to be shown at Amiwest  (Read 5261 times)

Description:

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
Re: OS4 to be shown at Amiwest
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 26, 2003, 05:23:39 PM »
OS4 being shown in the US -- whether on CSPPC or the AmigaOne -- is a positive (and very rare apparently) thing. OS4 being shown, for really the first time in the same place as the Pegasos so that people can get a hands-on with both is a positive thing (for the community).

I will make a prediction. OS4 will not be in such an advanced state as MorphOs (understandably because development started much later). OS4 will not run on AOne (something that we know NOW).

Genesi will have a lot of machines running MorphOS 1.4 on Pegasos while OS4 will be shown on maybe 2 or 3 A4000's.

MophOs users will trash OS4 because they did a more impressive show (normal with their Pegasos and flatscreens and nice cases, t-shirts and eyecandy...), because OS4 feels slower (normal because hardware is slower), because it is in a more advanced state (normal as OS4 dev started much later), because it doesn't run on PPC completely,, because AOne only runs linux,... (all  the usual stuff that has been discussed on and on)

Somehow, in their comparison, MorpOS users will forget that the one system is for sale and that the other isn't finished yet. (OS4 ppl would probably do the same though, at least the die-hards)

Showing them together will just start new flame wars, new attacks from both parties,...

The only good comparison would have been OS4 on AOne and MorpOS on Pegasos.

And even then...there is no Amiga community anymore. There is a MorphOs crowd and an OS4 crowd. And both can't handle the fact that the other exists (which is kind of sad really). Very few people seem to be open for both systems.

I really don't see any point in MorpOS people going on and on about OS4, and OS4 ppl going on about MorphOS.

But sadly, looking at the forums, the situation is only getting worse.

So in short, it will be an unfair comparison which will lead to more of the same.
 :-(
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2003, 05:33:44 PM »
@z5

I really don't understand how ANYONE could turn my comment into a negative thing quite so elegantly as you have here.

The show is a good thing.  The fact that Hyperion is allowing users to show OS4 to the American public (which I cannot recall happening before) is a good thing.  

Let people make up their own minds please.

Offline z5

• Show only replies by z5
    • http://ada.untergrund.net
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2003, 05:38:58 PM »
I really don't understand how ANYONE could turn my comment into a negative thing quite so elegantly as you have here. The show is a good thing. The fact that Hyperion is allowing users to show OS4 to the American public (which I cannot recall happening before) is a good thing.

Let people make up their own minds please.

Ofcourse it's a good thing, IF ppl go there with open minds, as you say.

However, i'm convinced that OS4 will not be given a fair chance.

If i look at the forums here and on ANN, i have the impression that people allready made up their minds a long time ago...

I hope i'm wrong though  ;-)
A.miga D.emoscene A.rchive: Relive the dreams...

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2003, 06:16:46 PM »
I agree with z5 ...but I think that they are indeed comparable right now...opion of the future: MOS 2.5 by the time AOS4 is on the A1.... so it might be a VERY long time before we can compare (in my opionon anyway and I'm sure we'll hear some AI camp 'it'll be done soon' spoiling  tactics as seen here

[Quoted from Extremetech.com interview]
Bill McEwen: OS4 is the next version of the Amiga OS, it's a total rewrite of the operating system. It's brand new from the ground up, rewritten for the PPC hardware. And it's bloody fast. It's currently in beta testing at 20 external sites, and it's just about ready to go – in three more weeks. The components are ready, we just have to plug them together and go.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2003, 06:39:50 PM »
Poster: meerschaum Date: 2003/6/26 18:16:46

I agree with z5 ...but I think that they are indeed comparable right now...opion of the future: MOS 2.5 by the time AOS4 is on the A1.... so it might be a VERY long time before we can compare (in my opionon anyway and I'm sure we'll hear some AI camp 'it'll be done soon' spoiling tactics as seen here

Apple & oranges.

Version numbers means nothing when not of the same product, Features matters not what version number one product is to another.

Now if the plan was for both MOS & AOS to have the exact same features as each other & stick to a strict version system witch was in line with the features added then you may then have a point.

But they are not the same thing so you mite as well say what version Windows,MacOS-X,Linux  will be at as well as it will not matter for ppl wanting AmigaOs.

Oh i thought the topic was about OS4 to be shown at Amiwest.

But it was ment to be Aos4 v MOS i guess.

The last bit of your post.

Why bring up Amiga.inc in this thread when its about the showing of Aos4. Cant resist another chance to slag A.inc off yet again just because you can.

Many of us have made cockups of thing and needed telling off for it.But no one would like ppl to go on & on telling off for the same old mistake time & time again months after it had happened.

Even if its an ongoing problem like being behind in youir bills. You explain your situation they either agree to the extra time or they dont, but if they do you would expect to be left alone untill the agreed time is up.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline SidMan

• Show only replies by SidMan
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2003, 07:52:01 PM »
@z5,

On the whole I tend to agree with the points you are making in this thread.

SidMan.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2003, 09:32:53 PM »
@Alk

I'm not bringing it up for the sake of bringing it up... I'm bringing it up to show the Amiga.inc camp's 'release dates' are fuzzy at best... and someone claiming 'we need to wait OS4 to compare to MOS" is wrong because we dont know when OS4 will be done, we can only speculate on that... though I dont want OS4 I do hope it comes out! I think competition is good... I hope its able to compete...I do think its fair to compare them though!..even if OS4 is on an A4000... not in speed but perhaps in features? and completeness?... thats my two cents....

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2003, 09:06:41 AM »
Showing them together will just start new flame wars, new attacks from both parties,...

Despite that, I don't think always showing and treating them separately is a good thing. I think the less fanatics will be able to make up their own minds, knowing the problems of both (later start on one side, lack of access to the sources on the other, etc.)

Those who are fanatics... They've already made up their minds, so I can see no problem in showing the two together. :-)

And actually I see the two products as nearly identical, just as with AmigaONE and the Pegasos. There are differences of course but not that earth shaking ones, that will make either of them superior as a divine fact.

Offline uboat

• Show only replies by uboat
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2003, 02:16:06 PM »
I think the reason that the MorphOS people are so anxious to slag off every positive sign concerning OS4 is obvious. Isn't it?

They are terrified of being stuck with an expensive orphan.

I wish they'd give it a break but it's just not going to happen. I'd probably do the same thing if I was in their shoes.

The sad truth  is that OS4 does not have to be better than MorphOS to win the marketplace battle. Rather, MorphOS has to be significantly better than OS4, because if it isn't, people are going to stick with the official AMIGA upgrade path. So it's not suprising that Morph owners are getting nervous, they know they are at a disadvantage.