Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toaster [2] Road Show  (Read 2922 times)

Description:

Offline SystemTopic starter

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Toaster [2] Road Show
« on: March 07, 2002, 10:33:19 PM »
Don James of NewTek will be demonstrating the Video Toaster[2] with Computer Connection of Stockton, CA.

When: Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 7pm to 9pm
Where: EMRL Media Group, 1020 Tenth Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, 916-446-2440.
For More Information: Please visit www.comp-connection.com/intro.htm
 :-o

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
Re: Toaster [2] Road Show
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 01:24:37 PM »
Yeah well, give us Toaster2 for Amiga, and completly surprise us,  or go suck users somewhere else. The Amiga has already been beaten too much.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 02:29:08 PM »
Yeah well, give us Toaster2 for Amiga, and completly surprise us, or go suck users somewhere else. The Amiga has already been beaten too much.
Ya know, that's a really crappy attitude.  If not for the original Toaster, the Amiga would have been dead long ago.  If Newtek had decided to only support the Amiga, they would have been dead long ago, so before you go about spreading stupidity, give a little credit where credit is due.

Wayne Hunt
Amiga.org

Offline Jose

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 02:59:45 PM »
Hi Wayne. I give them credit, very much, and you're right, if it wasn't Amiga toaster, Amiga would have been dead for long. But... what are they doing now, at this very moment? Promoting toaster2 in the Amiga market for Windows. Maybe I overwritten some words, but still... you get the point. Come on Newtek bring us Toaster2 :-D

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2002, 03:54:48 PM »
No, I disagree.  You forget, a large minority of our users are still Toaster users.  Most have had the common sense to buy the Toaster 2 system (unlike Amiga users who don't understand the need to upgrade ANYTHING).  

As such, Newtek is paying homage to those who did get them started.  They are remembering and honoring their roots as it were.  

How you act determines how they react.  For them to EVER consider making a Toaster for any future Amiga doesn't depend on sentiment, and "they ought to".  It depends on how popular the AmigaOne gets and how many units they believe they can sell.  

New hardware design, manufacturing and layout can cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  If the AmigaOne only sells "2000" or so boxes, you will NEVER see the Toaster (or any real device) for it unless it's specifically adapted from an existing device.

This is not a viewpoint I like, but this is a realistic viewpoint.

Wayne Hunt
Amiga.org

Offline Jose

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2002, 05:50:37 PM »
Well, some companies are here for sentiment, as long as viable, eventhough they could make more profits doing something else with the time spent. Looking at it in a different way, it's like a new niche market that can grow, and they're risking at it, too.

I thought for PCI cards only a driver would be needed for each platform. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure it won't be a completly new hardware design!

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2002, 06:43:08 PM »
Wayne, you took the words right out of my mouth.  Newtek has been really sympathetic to Amiga users who purchased Toasters by giving them huge discounts on upgrading to the new hardware.  Now, if that is not support for the Amiga community, I do not know what is.  We still use our Toaster 4000 flyers for projects but we also realize that computers are tools and you have to go were the newest tools are, and if that is Windows applications because no software on the Amiga can do what our clients want, so be it.  As soon as applications show up on the Amiga One, which they will, and they are killer, we will go with those tools and abandon the Windows platform.  This would make all of us extremely happy to do so. :-D