Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga Auctions Website  (Read 5988 times)

Description:

Offline neofreeTopic starter

• Show all replies
New Amiga Auctions Website
« on: February 06, 2003, 11:21:41 PM »
After the close of AmiBench.com...  I was thinking of starting a new classifieds..

But then I thought of something else...

What about an Amiga Auctions website?

Well, sure eBay already exists.  But what if the prices where much lower?  Not intended to be a "money making" business, but more of a service to the community, and charging for posting only to keep quality of service.

Then I thought of different ways to charge...

1.  A *one time* membership fee.
2. A *small* monthly fee.
3. A *small* listing fee.
4. A *small* percentage of auction closing.

Well, I definately wouldn't do all four.  Infact, I would probably only do one or at most two of the above.

What are peoples opinions?  I think I can have this site up in less then a week as I am arleady testing auction software.

Also, the site would have "fixed price" auctions too, giving it the functionality to work as a classifieds system too.

Like to hear your thoughts...

Neofree

• Show all replies
Re: New Amiga Auctions Website
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 11:26:32 PM »
Well, I'm sorry he got harrased.  And hope he has a happy birthday...   But I'm not sure what I would be "waiting" for...

Neofree

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 11:40:58 PM »
Well AmiBench gone or not, there is no Amiga Auction website that I know of...  I am pondering the issue and will have a better idea of what I will do tommorow.

Thanks,

Neofree

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 11:42:23 PM »
Also, I dont really want to scare people away with the idea of charging on the site.  Infact I may even just make it 100% free.  I just thought it would keep the quality up a little.  Maybe only a listing fee, or only a very small percentage if item sells.

Thanks,

Neofree

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 04:27:50 AM »
Well the negative comments are less then encouraging.  As a relatively new user to Amiga.org, I am beginning to see why people gripe so much here.  Everyone is so negative.  I was sad to see Amibench go, but at the same time, we need a site like it.  I'm offering to do so, and I know there is work envolved.  If anything I think people would think this is positive.

Anyway, I didn't get the impression that Mark would change his mind about Amibench.  He had already posted strong notices in the past that indicated his frustration with his site.

All I want to do is try and offer something where there is now a gap.  Amibench was a sight I visited often in trying to find stuff for my Amiga, and with it gone I really only know to go to eBay and comp.sys.amiga.marketplace now.  I know other sites exist, but they do not have the usage that makes them work.

I've decided against the idea of charging.  I think this would limit it's use too much.  I am thinking of doing a site that is both classifieds and auctions.  Use wichever you want.

As far as getting users, it takes work to get users for *any* site.  This is not something I plan to go short on.

Anyone have anything good to say about this?

Neofree

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 03:45:38 PM »
Well taking everything into consideration.  I think I am going to go ahead and give it a try...

eBay seems to be a big response by users, but I've never actually bought any Amiga items from eBay because they're overpriced.  Part of this because eBay has a strong USA userbase and Amiga is much more rare in the USA.  So, people bid on it taking that in consideration.  Amibench prices where always lower then eBay.  

And just incase some people don't realize the "ways of eBay", many people wait till the last hour or even the last minute to bid, so if you think prices are low, try looking at "Completed items".

I know it will be tough getting people to use it, but it's worth a try, because there is infact a void to fill.

Thanks,

Neofree