Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's true! Apple go x86!!!! :-o  (Read 8577 times)

Description:

Offline jutrem

• Show all replies
Re: It's true! Apple go x86!!!! :-o
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »
  This is a well timed win for Intel. They had to "answer back " because IBM/Power PC has been getting all the attention recently.  Apple (Jobs) did not like the fact that they would not be IBM's top PPC customer anymore.They would be 4'th to 5'th after IBM, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo. Intel will be losing IBM x86 business during the same 2006-7 period that Apple will ship Intel systems(I know Leveno will still be around, but no IBM name). Apple actually hindered PPC adoption and development by
 - ending Mac clones.
 - artificially inflating hardware prices. They were getting G4/G5 for the same prices as comparable Intel P4 models.
 - OS X/Mac OS was seen as the only OS solution. OS X is great, but now there other PPC OS options. Microsoft has been keeping up Windows on PPC just like Apple kept OS X on Intel up to date. Other OS:Linux, Amiga OS4, MorphOS etc.
 - Absorbing most of the high end PPC CPU production.

Apple have gone from a big fish in the overflowing PPC pond to a small fish in the x86 ocean. Their branding and unique case designs will help them survive. The OS will not be affected. When I saw Windows NT demoed in ~1995 on similar PPC and Pentium systems it visually looked the same. It worked the same and ran the same programs. You had to be told what CPU was in the case. They both looked like clone PC's.

The desktop is important for marketing. Users know what CPU is in their desktop PC, not what CPU is the Server their connected to, or what CPU is in their game console/set top box. The PPC market is stronger now, then last year when Apple and IBM were the only major players. The quickest way for PPC to get back on the desktop is the availability of systemboards and CPU's to the public. IBM has to lead/help here. They have Power/PPC systemboards(yes I work with their servers). Eyetech and Genesi have the right idea but not the budget to make it affordable. They also don't have the name to stand behind.