Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's true! Apple go x86!!!! :-o  (Read 8572 times)

Description:

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
Re: It's true! Apple go x86!!!! :-o
« on: June 06, 2005, 07:18:47 PM »
Jobs is a freaking idiot.  Nobody is going to buy any Macs for the next year.  He easily just lost half of his loyal fanbase.  He banked on the fact that Apple is cash rich for the first time in a long time to leverage such a risk.   I give it about 6 weeks before someone finds an openfirmware workaround for current PC bioses, and OS X is running under Windows or something.  Moron.

Anyone want to buy a Mac mini?

-G

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 08:15:07 PM »
I would LOVE it if IBM came in right now and bought out Apple.  They turfed their PC business to Lenovo, now they could have their own MacOS running in their own PPC chips.  They tried to do this with OS/2 but this time their takeover target would already be established...  I had heard about this a few months ago, but it also fell under the "yeah right" category.  I feel as sick today as when CBM went under...

-G

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 09:59:14 PM »
I have no more faith in Apple.  I mean, how many "about face's" are their users supposed to put up with?  Sure we've enjoyed the technical superiority (for about 15 minutes until the Wintel world catches up/surpasses) but it's about a philosophy as much as product.  The only people Apple/Jobs are serving are their shareholders!  The Amiga has been able to tag along on the anti-x86 wagon, but I have some very serious doubts about the PPC and it being relegated to nothing more than an embedded processor now as others have mentioned...

-G

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 10:03:05 PM »
What from the unix world could be compiled to run on x86-OSX that would make Bill wizz his pants?  Mathmatica?

Based on the recent tests that have been done that proves OS X blows as a server, I don't think Bill's got much to worry about.  OS X skin on Linux - Bill would have something to worry about, but not with Mach/BSD trappings under the hood.  I think it would be very easy for MS to squash Apple if the antitrust regulators would let them get away with it.  Look at their Connectix purchase - it's like a cat playing with a ball of yarn.

-G

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 10:09:33 PM »
Not to get pissy, but give me some examples???

-G

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 10:13:28 PM »
They are going to run a PPC emulator called "Rosetta" on the x86 version.  Great.  Now we've got x86 OSX running a PPC emulator which in theory for alot of users could then be running the OS 9 68K emulator as well...

-G

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 01:44:38 AM »
The best one I've heard yet:

"I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million mac zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced," wrote poster "m50d,"

-G

Offline glitch

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 04:08:53 PM »
That's almost as bad as the "Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field".