Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More AmigaOne screen shots  (Read 2375 times)

Description:

Offline zee4Topic starter

• Show only replies by zee4
More AmigaOne screen shots
« on: April 17, 2003, 12:02:23 AM »
Ok, he's running Debian Linux (and MacOS 9) on a G4 AmigaOne. But it's a nice clean-looking page and we'll be able to run this stuff too- next to ImageFX, of course :)

See: www.amigaone.at

Offline Turrican

• Show only replies by Turrican
Re: More AmigaOne screen shots
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 08:48:01 AM »
I clicked very fast on the link without reading the post and as the page was loading I thought this was AmigaOS4...

:(

Nice Linux screenshot though!

Offline Jope

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 09:15:35 AM »
Hope the AmigaOne owners get to run OS4 soon, so we can finally see what we've all been waiting for..

I don't want to sound negative, or anything, but a computer running Linux isn't exciting in 2003.. (I first installed it around 7 years ago)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 09:39:14 AM »
More Linux screenshots.  How exciting...

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 12:41:38 PM »
I don't want to sound negative, or anything, but a computer running Linux isn't exciting in 2003.. (I first installed it around 7 years ago)

Fair enough, but having just installed debian via ftp I can assure you it's a damn sight easier to install now than it was even 1 year ago, particularly with the super-duper ISO Ross Vrumbaca has cooked up.

What worries me is that someone, somewhere, thought it necessary to create a Virtual Richard M Stallman and include it in the distro. Extremely worrying.
AT

Offline Elwood

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 12:46:33 PM »
Hi,

I tried Debian on an x86 and I couldn't install it ! :-(
I hope the A1 version is easier to install...
Philippe "Elwood" Ferrucci
AmigaOS 4.x betatester
Amiga Translator Organisation
My Homepage......

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2003, 02:40:27 PM »
I find it interesting... but I can't get past the fact that Mac OS 9 on non-mac hardware violates the Apple EULA.

Hey, I'm not saying I never violated a eula in my life, but I consider more newsworthy when someone has created something that is legal and available.

Linux was exciting when it finally gave us a free unix, but now its a victim of its own success...it does seem quite boring to me now....except that I would use it for the free programming environment and gl implementations...but that would only work well on the intel distro's....since they do not have 3d working yet, as far as I know.

(if they do have 3d acceleration on these distro's...please be sure to tell us...)

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2003, 04:11:19 PM »
I don't want to sound negative, or anything, but a computer running Linux isn't exciting in 2003

@Jope,

No it's not, but some people seem to like like it. I look at it as a source of good apps we can use  in addition to native OS4 apps.

I believe in the next few years, a lot of the apps we run on AmigaOS will come from the open-source community. Look at OS4- they're porting Mesa (for OpenGL) and there's been some talk about using CUPS (a TCP/IP-based printing system) and Python in post-4.0 releases. Already things like SDL have been ported, and OS4 is being written with GCC.

This is all good stuff.  What's more, as Alan pointed out, there are places where a PPC/Linux system would be preferable to an intel system. One example given was a large server set-up where the PPC system would save on electricity costs. While we all want to run AmigaOS, it makes sense to look at other opportunitys outside our own nitch.

Zoltan

Offline ronybeck

• Show only replies by ronybeck
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2003, 01:47:49 AM »
It posts a meer 799 Bogo Mips.  Compare that with my athlon 1700 XP which does 2920 Bogo mips.  It is clocked at 1.43Ghz which is less than double the clock speed yet it has around 3 times the performance.  What am I missing here? Sounds teribly crap to me. :-D
================================================
Did you just call me paranoid?
================================================

Offline JamesR

• Show only replies by JamesR
    • http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/kovu/
Swell
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2003, 02:10:58 AM »
Fantastic. An Amiga running Linux. THAT'S what I want to see. NOT!
James Russell
Editor - Amiga.org...

Offline ruffneck

• Show only replies by ruffneck
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2003, 02:30:15 AM »
anyway, it's working.

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2003, 10:48:11 AM »
Poster: ronybeck Date: 2003/4/18 1:47:49

It posts a meer 799 Bogo Mips. Compare that with my athlon 1700 XP which does 2920 Bogo mips. It is clocked at 1.43Ghz which is less than double the clock speed yet it has around 3 times the performance. What am I missing here? Sounds teribly crap to me.

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?show=1050085782&category=forum&number=24

then read

http://www.ann.lu/comments2.cgi?show=1050085782&category=forum&number=33#comment

Bogo Mips it totally useless & Bogus
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: Swell
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2003, 10:50:07 AM »
Fantastic. An Amiga running Linux. THAT'S what I want to see. NOT!

When the project was announced, the critics said it would never happen. When it first appeared, the critics said it would be buggy. Now someone posts pictures to prove they are wrong, people say "oh its running Linux".

Conclusion: It doesn't matter, critics will always have to complain.
(Now flame me if you want)
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2003, 12:26:34 PM »
Personally, I like the flexibility of being able to run OS4, Linux, and MacOS natively!

Re: Swell
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2003, 08:21:48 PM »
When the project was announced, the critics said it would never happen. When it first appeared, the critics said it would be buggy. Now someone posts pictures to prove they are wrong, people say "oh its running Linux".

@Rogue,

What can you say, Amiga fans are hard to please...mind you some of them won't be happy until it runs on AAA...or MorphOS :)

Zoltan