Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA introduces new Amigo computer!!  (Read 15396 times)

Description:

Offline BigBenAussieTopic starter

• Show all replies
Commodore USA introduces new Amigo computer!!
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:41:37 AM »
Commodore Amigo computer

I believe, the specs are.....

CPU         Fanless Xcore86 1Ghz “Device on Chip”
BIOS         AMI BIOS
RAM         512MB DDR2 onboard
Storage      1 IDE for 2.5 inch internal, 2 x SD external
LAN         10/100 Mbps r6040 NIC
WIFI         Optional WIFI module available (802.11 b/g)
             3G Network Optional 3G module
Video         Integrated 1280 x 1024 with 128 MB dedicated video RAM
             VGA out, Composite out and SVHS out
Audio         Hi Definition Audio, Stereo speaker, Digital Array Mic
             Audio Jack Audio in and out
I/O         Enhanced IDE Interface x1, USB 2.0 x 2, RS232 x 1
OS          Microsoft Windows XP, Linux
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:58:10 AM by BigBenAussie »

• Show all replies
Re: Commodore USA introduces new Amigo computer!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »
@skurk
I still call bullshit on all this Commodore USA stuff, though.
What do you mean? Do you doubt it is legit? They're selling the Commodore Phoenix right now. I've spoken to the owner, and have posted his extensive technology background before. Don't be surprised if you see an actual Commodore advertisment some time soon.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »
@haywirepc
Honestly, how would you expect any company after the Commodore bust up, to be in any way related to the original Commodore? Would they have to be related to Jack Tramiel or something?

When the Commodore Phoenix was announced, there was a thread here about what it was, and it is hardly a secret.

Buying pre-existing all-in-one-keyboard hardware to fill a retro niche isn't such a bad idea. At least the hardware isn't vapour. Would it suit your sensibilities better if it was instead conceived of from a reference design like a lot of other hardware.

I think the expectations a lot of people express are a little high, and a little naive, because no company short of a multi-national could pull it off, and even then they would be beset by the same criticisms. You can't please everybody.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
Wel the prices are listed,and may I say,OUCH!
Looks like $475 to $1295 !!??!!
Just noting that you are mentioning the prices to the Commodore Phoenix, not the new Commodore Amigo, that is the subject of this thread.
I don't know what price it will be but I would expect the Amigo to cost around the $300US mark or lower. Yes, you can get a netbook for that.....yes probably even a Commodore netbook or tablet for that amount soonish. It is what it is, and now you know.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Quote from: Pete_Noir;552111
On the bottom of their page:

"Amiga is the trademark of  Hyperion Entertainment, registered in the U.S. and other countries..."

Umm.. no it's not! And why mention Amiga, they're not selling anything with that name even mentioned as far as I can see..

They intend to sell "Amiga Forever". It is listed as a product they want to sell, but it is unavailable at the moment.

I believe the idea was to clarify, in order to avoid any legal unpleasantness, that Commodore USA do not own the Amiga trademark, or more to the point, the AmigaOS trademark. They are not selling anything that can be construed as a native "Amiga" operating system, but just an emulator. In attempting to clear that up, they went a little too far and incorrectly(?) attributed the "Amiga" trademark to Hyperion. Should the real owner front up I am sure they will happily change it.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
@skurk

Of course you are entitled to your opinion of its legitimacy or existence. You can also go on to believe that because you've never seen an X1000 or a SAM460 that they doesn't exist either, despite people telling you that they do, and they are all merely a scam.

I hope you don't take this personally, but certain people in this community act like beaten dogs who no longer trust anyone, and anything you tell them is met with derision. With all the crap that's gone on that it is understandable, but there comes a point where you should just get over it.

The Commodore USA owner is Barry Altman. For some reason his bio has been removed from the menu, probably due to clutter, but here is the page anyway. http://www.commodoreusa.net/profile.html

He seems to be a reputable business man, rather than someone who just walked off the street. I have posted a bio before but I can't find it right now. Will post it when I find it.
edit: it's on another site, and not entirely related to this topic so here is the quote.

The owner has heaps of engineering and computer knowledge and founded a major satellite cable hardware company in the 80s with hundreds of site locations. He used Commodore64s to run his multi-million dollar business back then and became quite enamored with them. Later, he even used the Video Toaster for overlays on some broadcasts. He used Apples in his businesses for quite a while.... and also used these Cybernet All-In-One PCs because it reminded him of the Commodore64 he enjoyed and loved, and he is passionate about it and wants to share that Commodore adoration with the world. His family also owned major shopping complexes in New York and has a history in retail. I may be a little off on the bio, as it is from memory, but you get the gist.

He told me he used to run one of his first businesses on Commodore64s and loves them. He is relatively unfamiliar with our world of Amigadom, but seems willing to cater where possible.

This Engadget article is by no means presented as proof of anything, but I thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/16/the-commodore-name-licensed-again-for-a-line-of-keyboard-pcs/

With any luck, later this year the company's monumental advertising campaign will have had its effect ("something like you've never seen in your life," as Altman described it to us on the phone this afternoon)

He told me the kind of ad campaign he had planned. If it is a 30 second ad that I think it will be, the first 5 seconds, you'll think you've seen it before, the next 10 seconds you'll get a slight surprise but still think you'll know where it is headed because you'll have seen something like it before. The last 15 seconds you'll be WTF....how did they do that? If it is what he told me, they'll be talking about this in advertising circles for years. It's either going to be cringe-worthy or shocking depending on how it is done, but definitely will get people's attention that Commodore is back.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:53:01 PM by BigBenAussie »

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
@VingtTrois
Thanks... Seems I was way off on the price.
Expect around $100US without Windows.
That seems like a great price!!!!

No-one was under any illusions that Commodore USA had created this from scratch were they? Especially after re-branding the CybernetPC.
http://www.slashgear.com/norhtec-gecko-surfboard-99-linux-pc-in-a-keyboard-1766281/

Definitively a FAKE ?!?!
Unless your definition of fake is different to mine, something that exists, is readily available and is re-branded, is not fake.
This is no different to rebadging done by other PC vendors.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:17:46 PM by BigBenAussie »