Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE: AmigaOS emulation  (Read 1776 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
WinUAE: AmigaOS emulation
« on: April 10, 2003, 11:22:59 AM »
I'm setting up a serious install of WB3.1 at the moment and would like some tweaking and 'best ways of doings things' advice.

At the moment I have an install of WB3.1 (using KS3.1) on two hardfiles, I've got Picasso96, MWB and MUI installed, running at 1024x768x32 in a window, all running nicely.

A few questions:

I've got an Athlon XP @ 1.5GHz, and I'm emulating a 68040/fpu.  In Workbench, just leaving the window running gets me some erratic CPU usage results on the Athlon, I would guess anything between 20 - 60 % CPU usage all the time when WB is "idle" (I realise it's got to keep emulating the hardware all the time non-stop, but I don't know whether these kind of figures are to be expected).  I've experimented with settings in the CPU tab of WinUAE, and currently things are set to: 68040, "fastest possible, but maintain chipset timing", JIT cache=8MB, "const jump"=yes "FPU support"=yes ", "no flags"=yes, and that's the best combination I've found so far, but is there a better combination of settings, and/or would someone like to explain these a bit to me please?

Occasionally I'm getting a problem where the Amiga mouse pointer remains painted on the screen behind the pointer position like an old music video.  Sometimes pressing F12 to get WinUAE's control window up and cancelling it fixes it, but sometimes not.  Most (I think all) of the time an Amiga reset fixes it, but what might this be?  I don't know how to configure Picasso96 properly, and I've tried to a certain extent.  I configured the screenmode in prefs: screenmode but Picasso96 complains if I configure it there too.  My real A1200 is AGA so I've never needed to touch Picasso96.

Internet access - I've shared COM2 (my serial port my modem is connected to) with WinUAE, and Miami was pulse dialling it (not sure why, again usually with my real A1200 I use a NIC and internet connection sharing), but I was getting horrendously bad throughput (guessing at 1KB/sec), I'm assuming this is down to the Amiga's serial driver (I selected miami's serial driver where it allowed me to).  I would prefer to dial the connection manually through Windows and have the Amiga share the connection if this is possible, then I can use Windows for Internet access at the same time as my emulated Amiga.

Offline Stom

• Show only replies by Stom
    • http://ww.amiga-mediator.co.uk
Re: WinUAE: AmigaOS emulation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 11:52:55 AM »
Hiya mikeymike

ok, there were a few questions there so I have split each paragraph up into each question :-)

1/ I am not entirely sure what you are after to be honest with the CPU usage side of things - are you trying to get more free CPU time back for the windows side when you switch inbetween? If so, then there is a option within the 'Misc' tab in the WinUAE settings that allows you to 'pause emulation' or 'run at a lower priority' (what I use) when you switch back and forth between the two OS's

2/ I am unsure about this one tbh, I have never seen that happen (I have left the emulation P96 settings at default)

3/ I have never actually tried using a modem connected to the PC as a modem for the emulated amiga. What I do is just select the 'bsdsocket emulation' option within the Misc settings tab option screen again, This has allowed me to go online and do emailing, irc etc without a problem. Doing it that way means that you dont actually need Miami or any other TCP/IP stack installed.

Dont know if that was of any help,
Sam Thomas
Cheerio,
Sam Thomas
Unofficial Amiga Mediator support site
www.stom.org.uk - Personal (unfinished) homepage.
#Stomshouse on Arcnet

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 12:11:31 PM »

About the mouse trails on P96: replace rtg.library by the version that comes with WinUAE, or get the latest P96 archive.

Also remove MWB and install NewIcons. There are lots of icon sets on Aminet and elsewhere that look even better than those in the NewIcons archive. Also have a look at http://www.masonicons.de/

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 02:43:56 PM »
Where is rtg.library on workbench?  I can't find it, not in libs or anywhere else...

need to install that file find app :-)

Offline duesi

• Show only replies by duesi
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 03:35:12 PM »
rtg.library is in:

sys:libs/picasso96/

(on my WinUAE)

copy the library from the WinUAE Distribution there..
A4000D CS060/MKII with SCSI, CV64/4MB, 128MB Fast, ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE,80GB Samsung HDD, Yamaha CDRW, XSurf2, OS3.9BB2
A500,1MB Chip Kick1.3/3.1,GVP A500+ 540MB HDD and 8MB Fast,GVP DSS 8Bit Sampler

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 09:49:03 PM »
thanks.  I should have checked there.  doh.  :-)

I've just updated to the latest version of WinUAE with another row of tabs in its config I haven't seen before.  I'm using in the cpu tab 'fastest poss but maintain chipset timing' and 'detect idle CPU', which allows the x86 CPU to go down to virtually nothing if WB isn't doing anything in particular.

the bsdsocket emulation bit is working nicely, thanks for that.