Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE, OS 3.1 and Mp3's  (Read 1774 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaFreakTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
WinUAE, OS 3.1 and Mp3's
« on: October 19, 2005, 08:14:13 PM »
Maybe someone can answer this question =)

Im about to install WinUAE with OS 3.1 on my AMD 64 Athlon Laptop. I'm thinking of using it all the time like that over WinXP. Last time I used it I was able to download all the software I used in Windows for OS 3.1 in WinUAE that I needed and used on a regular basis. (I was able to get a web-browser, AIM, various programming tools to play around with) And I was able to use the wireless internet connection in WinUAE. My question is... is there ANY way to play my Mp3 collection in my OS 3.1 WinUAE setup? (software on aminet?)
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

Offline Thomas

Re: WinUAE, OS 3.1 and Mp3's
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 08:29:44 PM »

AmigaAMP can play MP3s and Songplayer, too. You can even write your own player, there is mpega.library for easy decoding of mpeg audio streams.

AmigaAMP accepts WinAMP skins.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:35:09 PM »
Ok.I think most people know this...but is there a way to use the PC's hardware (Non emulated) to decode MP3's on AmigaAMP?

For example lets say you are emulating a 68030 AMiga in WInUAE......evryone knows you cant play MP3's smoothly on a 68030 unless you have a hardware decoder like a MASPlayer or Delphina..............so, that said...can you tell AmigaAMP to use the PC's soundcard for instace to decode MP3's so that they play supersmooth on the emulated 68030 Amiga????

Same question I ask also for MPEG1 and MPEG2 Video??? VCD DVD?
on OS3.1 but through the PC's hardware assuming you are also emulating a Picasso or CyberGfx card.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:32:13 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
so, that said...can you tell AmigaAMP to use the PC's soundcard for instace to decode MP3's so that they play supersmooth on the emulated 68030 Amiga????

Yup. The last few WinUAE releases have an AHI driver included in the archive.

Edit: DOH..quoted the wrong part of leirbags question! Ta for the heads up Thomas.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 09:41:13 PM »
Same question I ask also for MPEG1 and MPEG2 Video???

I've never had any problems running movies through Frogger under emulation. Runs perfectly smooth and all...  the only thing I haven't got working correctly is that playback seems to be limited to not use all available colours. Maybe this is a limitation in the demoversion of Frogger... I don't know.

Point of it all... you don't really need to use a special device, like you will need when running AHI, to watch .mpg and .avi...
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 09:47:03 PM »

For example lets say you are emulating a 68030 AMiga in WInUAE......evryone knows you cant play MP3's smoothly on a 68030 unless you have a hardware decoder like a MASPlayer or Delphina..............so, that said...can you tell AmigaAMP to use the PC's soundcard for instace to decode MP3's so that they play supersmooth on the emulated 68030 Amiga????

You don't need any hardware. Even if you tell WinUAE to emulate a 68020, it will still be as fast as if it was running at 1000MHz which is plenty enough to decode any mp3 stream.

AFAIK there is no way to use the PC's decoding hardware from within WinUAE. The AHI drivers mentioned above use the PC's sound card to *play* sound, not to decode mpeg streams.

However, I would never use WinUAE to view videos or to play mp3s. The big advantage of WinUAE is that you can easily switch between Windows and AmigaOS. You can use WinAMP to play mp3s in the background while you work with other AmigaOS programs. With WinUAE you can combine the good parts of both systems.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 03:40:41 AM »
@Thomas

Well there is a good reason why I would want to run MP3's and VideoCD's from within AmigaOS running in WinUAE.............one reason is because Iw ould like to have a laptop with No WindowsXP on it and just a bootable Amiga Forever CD without the need for Windows.....also I can show friends that the AMigaOS still rocks!

I will probably also have Linux on the laptop, for Open Office and other good apps.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...