Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: sim city 2000 an whdownload  (Read 4944 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: sim city 2000 an whdownload
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
Quote from: utri007;701031
You haven't read manual ;) You need to promote program with FBlit preferances to use fast memory.

FBlit has a default setup with some programs that is already promoted, but with gui you can add/remove/edit them

I could never get FBlit to include or exclude particular programs (except for those that exist already in the list). So I just use it in "Exclude" mode. If you have managed to get it to work with the include or exclude list correctly then I'd like to know how you did it, because I gave up. Yes, things added to the list but it has no effect, or at least not on my setup.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
Quote from: utri007;701059
How much you have free chip memory after boot? You should have 1900kb at least.

http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/compatibility.html#9

I used solution 2

Don't forget setup FText

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/FText_v18

It is shame that FBlit isn't developed anymore

I'm running 3.1. Maybe that aspect of the program just doesn't work correctly with 3.1. Everything seems to work though when running in "Exclude" mode (everything promoted)...well except some non whdload games but that's hardly an issue as I use everything WHDLoad now.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
Quote from: utri007;701134
Do you notice big difference games like SimCity 2000, Napalm, Foundation etc games that allow choose hires modes??? Screen scrollin is smooth, game feels much faster than without FBlit.

Just curious, I'ven't ever tried to promote everythin, didn't even know that it is possible.

I'm sorry to say I don't play those particular games, although I do have a copy of Napalm...I just haven't played it in years (I don't use my cd-rom anymore). If it's HD installable I could give it a whirl I suppose.

But in answer to your question, yes, all new screens are super fast...OctamedSS, IBrowse, Deluxe Paint, Dopus, FileMaster etc. It even speeds Quake and Doom up a tad as well. Even 256 colour/HAM8 Deluxe Paint screens are very usable with FBlit (and I run DBL modes)...standard PAL/NTSC is even better (as is HighGFX). I need to get a flickerfixer...but HighGFX 256 colour mode 1024x768 is very impressive with FBlit.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »
Quote from: utri007;701217
Guide says that don't try to promote Quake/doom style games, so I'ven't tried that.

Can you do timedemo with and without fblit? Need to check that myself when I'm home again. I'm curious :)

I'm afraid I can't right now as my A1200 is not connected! I'm in the process of upgrading the hard drive from 3.25GB to 80GB. The 80GB has lots of my personal data on it and I need to go through it all to back it up (it's out of my old laptop which died...well actually I punched the screen). I'm going to try a different cooling fan as well in the case. If you're desperate to know I could hook it up again, but wasn't going to until I was ready to put the new drive in.

I remember comparing it myself with and without FBlit (doom and quake), and with FBlit it was (very) marginally faster. My main area of concern was "would it make it slower?" and the answer was a definite "No", which was good...because I can continue to use FBlit in Exclude mode  without having to manually keep turning it into Include mode and back again.