Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networking issues  (Read 12182 times)

Description:

Offline nineocTopic starter

• Show only replies by nineoc
Re: Networking issues
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
Windows is XP

Don't quite follow this:

"Put a zero in front of the last number and make it the same number of digits.

Oop's make that 2 digits, IP's are picky."

EG: if the other machines are numbered   20, 21, 22, etc., and the Amiga is 123, what would I change it to,and how/where?

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
" one more thing, make sure the gateway on the Amiga is the same as the router's IP."

What, where is that?

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 11:11:43 PM »
in miami or amitcp there are 3 things you need to set. IP, Mask and gateway. It in there on 1 tab or another.

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 11:43:02 PM »
So, Using Amitcp the Amiga gateway address is the same as the router's address.

What about this?

"Put a zero in front of the last number and make it the same number of digits.

Oop's make that 2 digits, IP's are picky."

EG: if the other machines are numbered   20, 21, 22, etc., and the Amiga is 123, what would I change it to,and how/where?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:47:42 PM by nineoc »

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 12:40:27 AM »
"  EG: there are six computers in the network, and in five of them, the last digits are only two numbers and they are sequential, with the exception of the Amiga which has three. "

"all are 2 digits except amiga", change last digits to 2 digits on Amiga.

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2021, 01:34:01 AM »
So:

Thanks for that.

I have been on the telephone with my ISP support and discovered that the ip address that I thought was for the modem is actually just to log into the gui for the modem control panel. The modem has a separate ip address. Silly me.

Looking through the Amitcp configuration utility it appears that the reason for the three digits at the end of the Amiga's ip address is because it is set as static, not dynamic. I don't know if that was the standard of the day. As you may have noticed, I am not familiar with the workings of the Amiga, I used it
for graphics, animation, desktop publishing, etc., and had an Amiga tech who set all these up for me, so I don't know the ins and outs of Amitcp.

To be continued....

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2021, 02:08:35 AM »
Static was standard for the day. For dynamic you need DHCP the for-mentioned seek type program. all computers now days have it and it's plug n play.

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2021, 02:42:59 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. Will look at roadshow.

Looking at my modem control panel, it does have the option to reserve a DHCp address, requires manual entry of what is called a MAC address, as well as the IP address, which can end in three digits, choices for both available via drop down menus.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2021, 02:16:08 PM »
The MAC address is the harware address of your network card and is completely unique. It has the format of 6 lots of 2-digit HEX numbers e.g. 6C:71:D9:d9:8A:6B. (It's like the postal address of your house - it's fixed and can't change).

You can see the one for your Windows PC by typing "ipconfig /all" in a Command (DOS) Prompt from Windows.

You also MIGHT be able to get that information from your Router's control panel for your Amiga's network card or sometime's it's on a sticker on the card itself.

I'm just catching up on the thread - is it confirmed you're using AmiTCP? I'm not familiar with that but there might be a command or a section in the software which shows you the MAC address.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:16:52 PM by AndyFC »
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2021, 07:12:56 PM »
I have seen those types of numbers in my explorations yesterday.

Yes, it appears that the Amiga is using AmiTCP. i have to deal with some minor household situations today, so will be away from the computer. Will get back to it and review all this ASAP.

Thanks for this and Happy New Year.

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »
Back at it today, reviewing AmiTCP configurations.  :)

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 06:52:04 PM »
Lets go step by step. What is windows running? 8, 10?

Chris

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2021, 06:54:59 PM »
PC is running XP.

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 06:59:46 PM »
Getting back to AmiTCP:

Have photos of each

Have looked at the Configuration setup, and have photos of each screen, if required.

As for procedure:

I first open the Amitcp drawer on the Amiga. There is an icon that says Start AmiTCP, so I click on it.

Next, I click on the Config AmiTCP icon, which allows me to either Install for Real or Pretend to Install. I have been pretending to install as an exercise.

Next window lists several options. Above the options a message reads AmiTCP seems to be already configured, select one of the following, so I choose Modify IP provider configuration.

Next window says select one of the following configuration styles, so I choose Fixed Nework Connection.

Next window says Do you want to keep the current interface, which is “wf_ethernet”, I choose yes.

Next window says Give IP address for the interface wf-ethernet. Current defaukt is 192.168.1.125, which is listed in the Home Network Window of the Modem control panel as belonging to Unknown, which I take to be the Amiga, because when the Amiga is running, Unknown shows as connected, when the Amiga is off, unknown shows as Inactive.

Next window says Give net mask of the network on the interface wf-ethernet. Address of the interface is 192.168.1.125. Give an empty string if you want to bypass this option. I leave the default, as this is just an exercise in familiarity with the process.

Next window says Give the IP address of the default gateway or give an empty string. Current default is 192.168.1.254.

Next window asks if your name server configured static or dynamic? Default is Static.

Next window says Give the Maximum Transfer Unit (MTU) for the interface. 0 represents the interface default (maximum) This is set at zero. Below says Valid range is 0 to 1500

Next window appears to be a summary, says This is the configuration you gave:

Interface: wf-ethernet
IP Address: 192.168.1.125
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway address: 192.168.1.254
UseBootP: NO
Dynamic Name Servers: NO
MTU:  <default>

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2021, 07:17:47 PM »
So, in checking the configuration settings an the Amiga, I see that the subnet mask, default gateway and DNS Server numbers are conforming. The only question marks at the moment have to do with the Amiga's identity on the router control panel and the Amiga IP address. The router sees the Amiga's current IP Address, but shows the word Unknown as the name of the Amiga. I know it is the Amiga because when I turn the Amiga on and off while looking at the router control panel,
Unknown will show as Connected or Inactive appropriately.

« Reply #44 from previous page: January 02, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
As an addendum to the last post, I do not see where to change the Amiga identity from Unknown to something else. In an article I found on AmiTCP, that identity appears to be set at the time of installation. Have to dig out the AmiTCP manual to see if there is anything there.