Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon Install to FreeDOS partition without Floppy Drive?  (Read 3137 times)

Description:

Offline Jope

Hi, glad to hear someone's still using my instructions.. :-D

Use a CD-RW disc when you experiment with this.. Also if you do it this way, you'll most likely need to do it manually, you can also try automatic if you want to devote the entire HD for Amithlon.. Two CD drives doesn't hurt either.

Just try and import the bin image to Nero, it's a 1:1 image of a floppy disk. Burn the bootable CD with floppy disk emulation. (use the defaults)

If you have two CD drives, then you should leave the first one empty and insert your new bootable disc in the second drive. (the driver finds them in the order first = master, second = slave)

Once the installer boots, you can insert the Amithlon disc in the first drive and start installing.

Good luck! You can email me, pmail me or ask for more instructions in this thread..

Offline Jope

Re: Amithlon Install to FreeDOS partition without Floppy Drive?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 07:42:57 PM »
What filesystem did you format the freedos partition with? Make sure it's FAT16/FAT32.. You probably don't even need 1GB - DOS is quite a small operating system. :-)

Also: I hope your disk isn't a dynamic disk.. DOS probably doesn't know what to do with that either.

Offline Jope

Re: Amithlon Install to FreeDOS partition without Floppy Drive?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 07:54:42 AM »
The special Amithlon partition is the Amithlon virtual hard drive.. Once you have the system set up, you should switch to the "small" initrd and only see your virtual hd's contents.

My installer formats boot as fat12 because it's so small.

There's something happening here that I don't understand.. Why doesn't freedos see the partition you made for it..