Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Commodore USA has my money, I have no computer"  (Read 11039 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: "Commodore USA has my money, I have no computer"
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »
Wow, the blatant cash-grab from a Florida furniture retailer with delusions of grandeur turned out to be less than perfectly ethical? Who would have guessed?

Oh, that's right. Everyone.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;668907
Are you yanking my chain or been serious? If serious then I fear the world literally had gone bat crap insane.
As JJ says, it's a license, not a purchase, but yeah, Barry's decided that the obvious people to go after are high-end workstation customers, because if they're already paying $15,000 for a PC then surely they won't mind dropping another $1,000 on a branded case! (Of course, I'm sure their "I dunno, ask Ubuntu" support policy will be very competitive with the warranties offered by actual, established workstation vendors.)
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
This video was just...awful. And inappropriately epic. They may as well have scored it with Lux Aeterna.
Was that for real?  I thought it was a parody of some sort.
:D

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:13:40 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;668974
I haven't really been following the whole Commodore USA thing too much but whatever you think about the way they do business, you have to give them credit for a least getting a 'new' HW product produced and in punter's hands.
That's a load of shít. Tons of companies produce products, doesn't make them good companies. CUSA has been abrasive and arrogant to the CBM/Amiga community, they're selling mediocre hardware with poor industrial design for well over its actual worth, they've mislead about their OS "vision," and their Dear Leader is an ******* with delusions of grandeur. They've long outstayed their welcome, and it's time to stop pretending.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;669097
Think what you will.  Sorry, but I call them like I see them.  There's nothing intelligent about spending $3000 on as-yet unreleased hardware that is based on 2004 technology (beta test hardware aside).  It might make sense if this was an antique business, but this isn't the antique business.  It's about technology.
I have to disagree, even though I myself agree with the assessment that the X1000 sure as hell ain't worth $3000. As others have said, there's a big difference between shelling out megabucks for something that's just a cheapo PC board in a (poorly-designed) novelty case, and paying that kind of money for something that's actually a real, different thing. (Not enough of a difference to convince me, but that's a matter of degree, not nature.)

This isn't about raw technological horsepower for everyone; if it was, the question would be, why bother buying anything but a PC to begin with? Some of us do like to have different computers, even if they're not competitive computers.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
Y'know, I despise CUSA as much as anybody, but this witch-hunt attitude is a little unnerving.

...'course, maybe that's because I just finished Quatermass and the Pit, but still...