Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "New" amiga hardware  (Read 18175 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: "New" amiga hardware
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;771025
I dont find the thread of the new hardware from the natami fantasy authors... these fpga with ethernet, usb, hdmi...

how is the status of the new project? No news means more vaporware (for me).

Thanks.

And you have a "fantasy" posting because you are asking for something that is not promised. They are working on apollo accellerators to get it out. No news means no news (at least no officially) but you can think what you want and even be polemic.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
Quote from: ppcamiga1;771056
As usual a lot of talk, but without effect.

If You want to have a better amiga than those made by Commodore,
buy AmigaOne.

I know something better... install FS-UAE or WinUAE on your PC

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;771259
@agami

It's not really practical to do that level of detail, and I don't think it should be done.

For one thing, the blog would be the most boring ever. Imagine it being like this:
"Today I made no progress. Tracking a bug."
"Still tracking a bug."
"another day. where is it?"
"Found a missing equals sign. Hurrah!"
"Still doesn't work. D'oh!"
"Ripped out huge chunk of code. Too much like spaghetti."
"Bug gone. Now had to write data structures for input handler."
"Wrote input handler"
"Found bug and squashed it"

It'd be a proper yawn-fest, so nobody would read it anyway.

Also:

I don't know of anybody who blogs to this level, and even if someone does, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Nearly all Amiga work is done part time now. You don't want to see lots of blogs saying "Nothing got done today", but that is exactly what you would see.

Also, I don't see why a developer "should" do anything. The developer is not employed by a user, nor is he behooven to him on any way. If Toni Willen does it then great, that's nice, but that's just his personal choice.

Put simply, a developer can do whatever he wants in the manner he wants, it is not for the user to decide what he must and must not do. Trying to force rules and regimes on people who are basically just doing it for a hobby and love of the platform more than anything else is just going to push what developers we have left away.

a daily blog would be too much indeed (expecially when dealing with hobby projects where you not work regularly) so the update interval could depend on project progress, perhaps once a week or once a month. People have seen so many projects where people promised something, then stayed calm but still claiming project is still living and after years realizing that it propably is dead for a long time with them still hoping. Communication in "amiga country" is not the strongest part and the same doing in a more competitive environment would have meant "game over" for even some of the more known names.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;771272
Absolutely. I'm all in favour of updates as and when they're useful. But there's no point in updating just for the sake of updating.
Many of my projects are years old - I'll work on them a bit, then I'll work on something else. Then I may come back to my other project again. If I make a big advance, then I tell people, but there's no point in updating people to say "I'm still not working on this project right now, but I may do in the future". My projects never die, they just rest. Sometimes permanently. :)

perhaps you should optimize your "working process" a little :)

I must admit if you are working on different projects now and then communication and blog might become complicated

like "I wanted to continue on xxx and did a little debugging found wrong typo but then I lost interest" :)

perhaps I am a little different there, I do not like to way to get somewhere, I like to reach the goals. Because of that I will not work on "many" different projects but only few (at the moment I am only working on one and still have new ideas even after years). But everybody is different.