Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Specification  (Read 3310 times)

Description:

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
Re: Xbox 360 Specification
« on: May 10, 2005, 11:59:41 AM »
I'll be getting one of those.

Half a Gig, a bit more RAM than a lot of people were guessing.

I wonder of one of those cores will be dedicated to Physics Processing (PPU) as was hinted at some time ago?

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 10:00:31 AM »
@mdma

The 10Mb Edram is on the GPU the 512Mb is unified RAM meaning memory rescources can be shared with GPU or among the 3 dual-threaded CPU cores.

---

To the naysayers, at least with this system we have confirmed specs and featureset.  

Nothing but hype has come out of Sony as yet.  

I cant wait to see just how powerful those 8 Cell-SPE's really are?  From memory, they only contain around 7M logic transistors each and a 4Ghz Cell operates very hot, at 70+ degrees C.  Also the architecture should be fun for traditional programmers to get around.  

I wonder if it'll live up to the hype?

I wouldnt be too surprised to see that Nin's revolution and Xbox360 are one and the same system.  Just marketed in Japan under Nintendo's trusted name.  It could be a win-win for both co's.

hint* - 360 = Revolution...

US prices are:

$360 for the full spec system, with removable Hybrid-HD media.

$299 for the non Hybrid-HD system (which you can add a drive to later)

*Hybrid-HD = a combo of Flash/nand-RAM and traditional magnetic media in one "micro" case.

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:58:20 AM »
...PSone. I can't believe how crap the 3d graphics on this machine are, and it just goes to show how marketing won it for Sony. As for gameplay I think there are only about 10 titles worth having...

Its easy enough to think that, -in hindsight-.  

Back in 1995, when my PS1 displaced my A1200 as my primary games machine, I have to say I was pretty impressed with the PS's GFX and gameplay in comparison!

Is there anything that even comes close to Castlevania-SOTN for sheer brilliance in a 2D game on Amiga?

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 05:16:05 AM »
Quote by fx:
Nope :D SOTN rules.
But I wonder what would have happened if the Amiga had been big in Japan? I don't think there's much going on in SOTN that couldn't have been pulled off on a A1200, atleast if it had some Fast Ram.

Me too, one of my biggest disappointments when I bought the A1200 was how badly it's hardware resources were underutilized by software developers.  Most games were just slightly tweaked ECS titles.

You only have to look at the 32bit, '020 equipped arcade machines (like; Elevator Action returns, Dungeon Magic, Gunbird) to get a rough idea of what the 1200's potential was.

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/

A HD equipped vanila A1200 can probably do anything the NeoGeo can do, and just look at some of the awesome games on that platform, Metalslug1-5, Blazing Star, KOF-94-2002 ect...

Ah well, long live emulation!

-sorry for the off topic-

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 09:18:50 AM »
PS3 -is- much better...

...if you believe the hype.  

However, Sony themselves have quoted performance of 1.8 terraflops (theoretical) and the 360 has a -theoretical- performance of "over a Teraflop" so my guess is the performance comparisons between the two will be much the same as this or any other console generation, and once again, it will come down to the individual's own brand preference.

I'll be getting a 360 mainly because I have an Xbox and want to continue with many of the exclusive titles I enjoyed, like Halo and Morrowind.  

Later, I'll probably get a PS3 for and/or Revolution, depends on price at the time and the quality of titles that catch my eye.

Pfft, Just like this (and every other) generation really...