Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bring back the Amiga?  (Read 3004 times)

Description:

Offline oaktreeTopic starter

• Show all replies
Bring back the Amiga?
« on: November 28, 2003, 09:08:37 AM »
I might be smoking crack or having a mid-life crisis, but it seems like even TODAY there are a lot of loyal Amiga fans. Amazing considering the thing hasn't been in production since God knows when.

So being one of these loyal fans, missing the Amiga OS, which OS/2 was still viable since windows blows...

I was wondering if anyone here things that the Amiga would be a popular seller if someone brought it back? What features would it have to have in today's market? Would it need to support legacy applications?

Hey people, Apple is running Unix/Linux now on OSX, so weird things have already happened... and that proves anything is possible. lol

I'm curious... anyone know any investors that might jump on the bandwagon? :)

• Show all replies
Re: Bring back the Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 03:52:03 PM »
Sorry... I'll see if I can kill the other thread.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 04:04:30 PM »
xeron - thanks for the info. I looked at Amiga OS4... very impressive. :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 04:14:22 PM »
I'm not sure about financial suicide. It would be hard to get investors without a strong plan to be sure. HOwever I thought Gateway purchased all the rights to the Amiga, last I heard.

Looking at WindowsXP, OSX, SUSE, RedHat, and pc computing in general, I think there is room for improvement. This means there might be a market ledge.

Don't forget that Linux grew from popularity with zero budget, and RedHat's initial starting budget wasn't that big (before they wen't public).

The linux and Amiga community would definately need to join forces. Something else too... 10K loyal Amiga fans make a strong voice.

When all is said and done at the end of the day, I'm just not "happy" with the work environment I have. Multitasking is a joke. Also just like last night, something screwed up and I had to soft reinstall WinXP & Office.

What the platform would need, like any technology, is a killer app or a market niche. Multitasking would be a good start as most multitasking on PC and Apple isn't that grand today when compared to the Amiga of 1989. Second I think Apple/Microsoft (AM) & Linux are at the extremes. AM operating systems are "trying" to be so friendly that you have trouble tweaking it and they don't really have any good UI innovations. Linux is powerful, but can be a VERY steep learning curve for new users who what to make use of that power.

It just seems like the computer world is creeping along, and someone needs to wake it up. Honestly the AM & Linux powers should welcome something new like this because it would fire enthusiasm to the entire computing market.

I'm just tossing ideas around... I don't have the backing for such a project, but I do know some people that might.

Lot of "if's" though.