Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No more linux for me...  (Read 6356 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: No more linux for me...
« Reply #59 from previous page: October 01, 2003, 03:04:49 PM »
It loads about 1 second(s) when using my PC (2) (click from XP's quick launch icon bar)....

over 3 seconds on my old XP2100+, 512mb sdram, asus a7v133 kt133a. The hd it runs from is not the very fastest, but damn . even wmp6.4 starts up much quicker on the same system.

Mine also does it in a sec, if i load it first, so that it is stored in memory.

But anyway  7.x, 8.x and 9.x all sucks since they cant handle svcds correctly. I also miss the keyboard keys for functions, like volume control, pause and so on.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Re: No more linux for me...
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2003, 03:57:44 PM »
@csirac_:
we'll saying that linux sucks isn't true, I agree, as a server it's one of the best oses you can get (Although some people say *BSD is better I don't care much... it's a unix and it's not friendly to the user...)

But I don't need a server... I want a desktop OS, not a server OS. BeOS is nice as a desktop OS if we forget hardware recognition and drivers...

IMHO the OS must be customizable, but the user must not be forced to recompile, etc when he adds new hardware... if I select an incorrect driver in X it will fall down. If I don't have a mouse connected it won't work. At least with Windows, BeOS and AmigaOS I don't have that problems. I don't feel the need of keeping in my memory hundreds of command line commands... we are in the XXI century... if my gfx card isn't configured correctly I shouldn't need to edit any text file or recompile the kernel. Would you imagine your grandfather recompiling the kernel to install a new device? I don't want to go back to the 70s... green text screens don't turn me on :-D
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)