Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting Amiga PCMCIA CF card readers quickly  (Read 418 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaBrunoTopic starter

Getting Amiga PCMCIA CF card readers quickly
« on: April 05, 2024, 02:51:10 PM »
It seems that I need to buy a new PCMCIA CF card reader for my Amiga A1200 which arrived back from being repaired a few weeks ago, because my old PCMCIA CF card reader isn't working.

I'd like to get this new PCMCIA CF reader ASAP, instead of waiting about 5 days. I could get one from Amazon Prime so long as I know it's compatible. Unfortunately, the sellers on Amazon don't seem to reply to any messages.

What do I need to look out for to ensure that the PCMCIA CF card reader is compatible with my Amiga A1200? Does it just have to be or to read "Type I" or is there something else? All I can find in the descriptions on Amazon that may help me is "Type I", not "16 bit" and no mention of Amiga.

As for CF cards to use with this formatted as FAT32, I hear there are serious compatibility or reliability problems. I already have one which was working in the past. I've formatted it as FAT32, but I remember reading something about FAT16, as if it had been formatted as FAT16 before I recently reformatted it. Should I just reformat it as FAT16, then try transferring some files off it onto my Amiga again?

Offline Thomas

Re: Getting Amiga PCMCIA CF card readers quickly
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 03:28:05 PM »

PC Card = good
CardBus = bad
ExpressCard = bad

The main issue is that the label PC Card was only used after CardBus came out. Before that it was simply referred to as PCMCIA while today PCMCIA refers to any of them. You might have to trust the absence of CardBus and ExpressCard and hope the best.

FAT32 should be ok for either FAT95 or CrossDOS.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 03:36:08 PM »

PC Card = good
CardBus = bad
ExpressCard = bad

The main issue is that the label PC Card was only used after CardBus came out. Before that it was simply referred to as PCMCIA while today PCMCIA refers to any of them. You might have to trust the absence of CardBus and ExpressCard and hope the best.

FAT32 should be ok for either FAT95 or CrossDOS.

Unfortunately some A1200’s and 600’s can be fussy with certain brands as well. Usually you are fine with Scandisk branded PCMCIA to CF card readers.

You have made sure you have in L: FAT95 . Also you have the Compactflash.device in DEVS and that the mount file is setup with the filesystem as L:FAT95 and device Compactflash.device

CrossDos doesn’t work with CF cards from what I believe, even in OS 3.2 or above. Had this issue and had to use FAT95 with a FAt32 formatted card.

Aminet has all the drivers you need. CFD133 for Compactflash.device and the mount file and FAT95 for the filesystem.

Again, you do not mention where in the world you are, so cannot answer the question about where to get a PCMCIA to CF quickly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 05:34:13 PM »
I've been looking into the same thing recently as a way to easily transfer files to an A1200. I recently added a new HDD to a stock A1200 and I'd forgotten how limited transfer options were without the proper spare hardware to hand.

Assuming what I've found on Google is correct, the sellers on Amazon are showing pictures of their actual products, and that the products aren't cheap version that don't adhere to the standards,
 - Cardbus cards all have a gold grounding strip at the end that plugs into the device
 - Type I, II and III is shown by the thickness of the card - the Amiga takes Type I or Type II (I have only used Type II, Type I info from here: https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=11272.0 )

One source of info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Card  and it's in line with other sources.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 02:41:09 AM »
OK thanks! I've just ordered a type T I from Amazon with a familiar looking label on it. It should arrive later today (Saturday), then I hope to try it out on Sunday. As for the CF card I used to use for the transfers, that's another matter. How would I know which CF cards are compatible for using to transfer files from a Mac to my Amiga A1200? I used Linux last time.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 01:00:01 PM »
Here's the thread from where I had CF compatability problems. https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=75918.msg856497#msg856497

I ended up chancing this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07C7HVT2T, which has worked perfectly since.

Please share which PCMCIA > CF adapter you got, and if it works. As well as personal interest, it might help others.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 04:09:21 PM »
OK thanks! I've just ordered a type T I from Amazon with a familiar looking label on it. It should arrive later today (Saturday), then I hope to try it out on Sunday. As for the CF card I used to use for the transfers, that's another matter. How would I know which CF cards are compatible for using to transfer files from a Mac to my Amiga A1200? I used Linux last time.

Usually Sandisk and Kingston CF cards will work.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 05:35:37 PM »
Usually Sandisk and Kingston CF cards will work.

I've got a SanDisk card 4Gb 30Mb/s CF card I was using before my Amiga A1200 got damaged. I hope to find it works later today. I may have to try formatting it to FAT16 instead of FAT32, though.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 07:17:13 PM »
I've got a SanDisk card 4Gb 30Mb/s CF card I was using before my Amiga A1200 got damaged. I hope to find it works later today. I may have to try formatting it to FAT16 instead of FAT32, though.

I would stick to FAT32 as FAT95 will work with that. But your choice.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 08:52:27 AM »
I would stick to FAT32 as FAT95 will work with that. But your choice.

Better to quick format it on Amiga. It will format it correctly.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 11:45:26 AM »
Better to quick format it on Amiga. It will format it correctly.

This CF card is for transferring files downloaded from the Internet on a MacBook over to my Amiga. AFAIK this requires a FAT format, because it's supported by both macOS and Amiga Workbench. I don't know how I can format the CF card as FAT32 or FAT16 under Workbench 3.0. Can you tell me, or did you think I was going to use this card in the format FFS, SFS, or PFS to install Workbench onto?

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 02:35:23 PM »
This CF card is for transferring files downloaded from the Internet on a MacBook over to my Amiga. AFAIK this requires a FAT format, because it's supported by both macOS and Amiga Workbench. I don't know how I can format the CF card as FAT32 or FAT16 under Workbench 3.0. Can you tell me, or did you think I was going to use this card in the format FFS, SFS, or PFS to install Workbench onto?

You just put card in, go to format, then select CF0:, then quick format. It will format it as FAT.
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 08:19:28 AM »
You just put card in, go to format, then select CF0:, then quick format. It will format it as FAT.

I've now got a new old PCMCIA CF card reader for my A1200. I inserted the FAT32 CF card which I formatted on my MacBook and booted up my Amiga from the SFS CF card which I installed by myself. Unfortunately, the FAT32 card wasn't detected. Next, I booted up from the PFS CF card which I bought from an eBay seller. This time the FAT32 card was detected under Dopus and it also appeared as a floppy drive icon on my Workbench screen. I was then able to transfer various files from there onto my Amiga. This means my problem is now solved!

I wish I could also detect the FAT32 card when booting up from mx SFS CF card, but I think that's a subject for a new thread.

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 09:39:50 AM »
I wish I could also detect the FAT32 card when booting up from mx SFS CF card, but I think that's a subject for a new thread.

Did you try going to format, as sometimes it does not show, so you have to go to format and format it there.
Also, did you check if the SFS CF has card patches in startup sequence. Some cofigs need them, other wont see pcmcia if they are there.

I have also found on 3.2, if I insert card, it doesnt show. I have to remove adapter, remove card from adapter. Plug just adapter in, wait a few seconds then insert CF card. It then shows up.

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 10:18:31 AM »
I've now got a new old PCMCIA CF card reader for my A1200. I inserted the FAT32 CF card which I formatted on my MacBook and booted up my Amiga from the SFS CF card which I installed by myself. Unfortunately, the FAT32 card wasn't detected. Next, I booted up from the PFS CF card which I bought from an eBay seller. This time the FAT32 card was detected under Dopus and it also appeared as a floppy drive icon on my Workbench screen. I was then able to transfer various files from there onto my Amiga. This means my problem is now solved!

On the SFS Card build. You do have the Compactflash.device in DEVS
The CF0 mountpoint in DEVS DOSDrivers
The FAT95 filesystem in L

These do not come with AmigaOS or Workbench. You have to download them off Aminet and put them on yourself.