Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!  (Read 14532 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
Re: First Aros 68k Kickstart boot screen!
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:23:06 AM »
I still don't understand why you guys want this. AROS was originally designed to be an open sorced re-implementation of WB3.1.
AROS still hasn't been polished enough to br released as a 1.0 package.
If ported to a 68K its likely to be slower and buggier than what you currently use.

Are copyright concerns that significant that it makes sense to expend so much energy just to realize what you already have?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »
So about the original post. It did express my honest buffuddlement at your pirsuit of this endeavor.

But, as someone with no current 68K based hardware I am hardly the target for this project.

Further, if you guys want this, support this, and see benefit in it, far be it from me to discourage a project that advances the Amiga platform.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:11:47 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;589065
The long term goal is to have a ROM that can replace the 3.1 ROM and still run AmigsOS and games or use AROS as the OS.

If using AROS as the OS, you could access more advanced features like the AROS CybergraphX replacement, hardware independent device layer, USB, etc.

Would AROS be totally contained on the ROM, or would the ROM act as a bootstrap for AROS?

Offline Iggy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;589135

For my uses I don't care if it just bootstraps to a disk based kickstart personally, I only use floppies as a last resort anyway.

I can understand that. Floppy capacity is looking really limited. I'm surprised some PC BIOS updates still require bootable floppies. Booting from a cd gives you so much extra capacity.