Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc, in 25 questions or less  (Read 20035 times)

Description:

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Amiga Inc, in 25 questions or less
« on: September 08, 2006, 06:53:16 AM »
With all the questions of whether "Is Amiga Inc alive?" or not, I thought to write to Bill McEwen himself to see whether the lights were still on.  Within an hour, I got a long, well-written reply and an offer to directly answer 25 questions from the Amiga community...

In short, Bill wants everyone to know that they are still, very much alive despite the many popular rumors to the contrary.  His standing offer is to take questions from Amiga.org users and they will answer the top 25 (as determined by the Amiga.org staff) as completely as possible.

That being said, a few words of [color=ffa500]caution[/color].

What this is...

This is a chance for the Amiga community to ask questions and have them directly answered by Bill McEwen in an open exchange.  You can ask anything you want, as long as it's a legitimate question regarding Amiga Incorporated, it's products, plans, and future.

What this is [color=cc0000]NOT[/color]

- This is not a chance for politics and agendas
- This is not an excuse to act like children and hurl insults
- This is not an excuse for personal attacks and delving into the personal lives of Amiga Inc staff members.

Post your questions in comment form below.  

On the 8th of September, I will collect the questions and the moderators and I will correlate them and select the top 25 questions.  Once selected, all of the questions will be passed directly to Amiga Inc.

Mr. McEwen has stated that he will answer 25 questions.  

If there are more legitimate questions than that, we will select the best 25 and put them at the top of the list.  It's up to them if they want to answer more.  If there are fewer than 25 legitimate questions, all will be passed to Amiga Inc for their response.

Amiga.org Disclaimer :

Because of the potential for abuse, this thread and comments contained therein will, by necessity, be moderated to the fullest extent of our posting guidelines (see link on left)

Out of necessity, we (the Amiga.org staff) reserve the right to edit the questions presented if they appear incomplete, unintelligible, or have a language barrier issue)

Sincerely,

Wayne Hunt
Amiga.org

Offline TomasTopic starter

• Show only replies by Tomas
Re: Amiga Inc, in 25 questions or less
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:10:57 AM »
I do not have any questions at the moment, but i think this is a very wise step as there has been very little communications and info from their side and i definitely look forward to the answers.

Offline quenthal

• Show only replies by quenthal
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:15:03 AM »
Is Eyetech still the only license holder for OS4 HW?
A4000/CSPPC&060

Offline reflect

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:17:57 AM »
What is Amiga Inc's current plans with the Amiga IP?
ie;
Looking at the current products offered on your site, there's only mobile content - will you continue with solely that, or are there plans to broaden and extend into other areas aswell?
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:22:29 AM »
@Wayne,

Any idea when Bill will mail the answers back ?

(Reflect kinda asked my question allready..)
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline poweramiga2002

• Show only replies by poweramiga2002
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:24:46 AM »
my question is

what do amiga.inc have planned for the future of the amiga platform ?

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:26:26 AM »
@seer

I would presume as quickly as they can get them all answered.  25 questions in essay form is quite a bit to take in I would believe.  A week perhaps?  I'm hoping to have a returned set of answers by the 15th.  

Oh... snap... I forgot.. Isn't next weekend an American Holiday?  Memorial day or somesuch?  Well, it'll either delay things a bit, or it'll give him more time to work on the answers...  

Either way, this is a helluva big olive branch they just tossed out to the community.  I say let's grab it and see if we can sink em..

:laughing:

Offline DBAlex

• Show only replies by DBAlex
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »
My question to Amiga. Inc is:

Are you willing to give out licenses to companies like Genesi for ports of Amiga OS4 to the pegasos platform?
Machines:
- A1200, Blizzard 1260 w/ 64MB RAM, 1.2GB HD, PCMCIA WiFi, AGA w/ RGB Adapter, OS3.9
- Pegasos I, G3 600Mhz, 512MB, Radeon 9200se, 80GB HD, AmigaKit WiFi Card, MOS 1.4.5
- Mac Mini, G4 1.5ghz, 512MB (1GB Soon), Radeon 9200 64MB, 80GB HD, OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
- PCs, Laptops... *yawn*... :D

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:31:38 AM »
Amiga Inc. have identified themselves at long last and soon we'll know exactly where they stand.  Then we can crush them!

(I'm kidding...! I kid!)

My question is: Are they aware of the Mini-'mig and the possibilities it opens up, and if so are they willing to allow such a "retro device" to co-exist with the A1 and on?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 12:32:34 AM »
Oh... snap... I forgot.. Isn't next weekend an American Holiday? Memorial day or somesuch?

Eh.. I thought you were the american here ?  :lol:

At any rate, let's see what questions the people come up with. I'm off to bed, way past bedtime...
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 12:33:06 AM »
1. Do you know why Eyetech isnt making AmigaOne boards anymore? If so, can you tell us why? I have my own theories, but I'd like to hear words straight from the horses mouth.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 12:36:13 AM »
There have been comments for some time describing the lack of Amiga Inc. response to a number of OS4 license inquiries sent to the prescribed technologylicensing@amiga.com email address. Is OS4 licensing available to those interested in developing new hardware, especially since Eyetech's AmigaOne product line has gone AWOL? Are licensing details available for discussion/negotiation even if an interested party does not yet have a workign sellable new design, but they are investigating licensing costs to better balance final total system package price to performance/features?

Note that I'm not asking if ACK or Troika have a license. I'm asking about this from a more generic point of view about any possible interested parties.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:16 AM »
Whats your stance on granting OS4 licenses? It seems to me that you're willing to grant for anyone except Genesi, due to bad blood in the past. People seem to be assuming that because the AHT deal went bad at the end, and because theres no Peg2 port of OS4, that you dont want to grant licenses for ANYONE at all. It might be a good idea to clear this up.

-EDIT- billt, you beat me by 1 minute! I cant decide wether your question is worded better than mine or not. :)

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 01:09:40 AM »
-EDIT- billt, you beat me by 1 minute! I cant decide wether your question is worded better than mine or not. :)

Let the moderators decide. :)
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Several questions separated by @McEwen's
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 01:14:02 AM »
@McEwen

Some time ago, I read something where Newtek was interested in how the Amiga was coming along (they being old Amigans and all). Have you been in contact with them at all lately and what can you tell us about your conversations with them?

@McEwen

What can you tell us about any video editing software being ported to or created for AOS4/AmigaOne?

@McEwen

Believe it or not, I still didn't get my Club Amiga T-shirt. Do yo have any extras laying around I could have? I did pay for it after all.

@McEwen

Did Garry Hare really leave Amiga, Inc.?

@McEwen

What is your current position at Amiga, Inc., considering the recent buyout by KMOS?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.