Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Magellan licensed for AmigaOS 4.0  (Read 3817 times)

Description:

Offline Crispy_Beef

• Show only replies by Crispy_Beef
Re: Magellan licensed for AmigaOS 4.0
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 01, 2002, 04:49:13 PM »
I think people are freaking out about this too much, DOpus on Amiga has always been about choice.

You could use it as a complete WB replacement, or just a file manager.  I always went with the file manager option, as I wanted my system to boot faster for other things, and only use DOpus when I needed it.  As long as this choice remains then all will be cool.

At the end of the day that's what we all want right, choice?

-- Crispy

Offline coffeemonk

• Show only replies by coffeemonk
    • http://www.x13design.com/bipolar/
Re: Not on MY OS 4.0
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2002, 04:51:53 PM »
I have to agree with 4pLaY on this one. While i would love to see Magellan updated to run on the new PPC OS (because i know it is generally well loved by a majority of the community), I'd still prefer to have the option to either A. not install it, or B. disable it's functionality on my workbench.

I tried to use Opus a few times several years ago (when i was on a big directory managment utility kick) but i could never bring myself to use it on a regular basis. DirWork 2 was always perfect for my needs in that regards, and very configurable in it's own right. Admittedly I may've never given DOpus the chance it deserved, but the initial learning curve was too steep for me to be able to justify it.
(I'm not trying to dump on DOpus here, before all you DOpus fans get your hackles raised... just trying to point out that it didn't appeal to me.)

Considering this, I hope we, as users, have the option of installing/using it or not. My preference would be for them to market it as a totally stand-alone product.

cheers - m@

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
Re: Not on MY OS 4.0
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2002, 06:23:57 PM »
>I have to agree with 4pLaY on this one. While >i would love to see Magellan updated to run >on the new PPC OS (because i know it is >generally well loved by a majority of the >community), I'd still prefer to have the option >to either A. not install it, or B. disable it's >functionality on my workbench.

It sounds like Dopus ISNT going to be intergrated.From what I've read,Hyperion have licensed it so that they can make sure that it work with OS4 and takes advantage of the PPC.

So it looks as though there will be the option not to install it,because you'll need to buy it first:)

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2002, 08:01:18 PM »
Choice is always good when it comes to software. However, consider the following:

Point 1: Dopus5 is much, much, *much* more powerful than workbench or opus4: more powerful in almost every way. It makes using an Amiga a much nicer experience, whether you are a beginner or an advanced user. It is much better than the many utils used to prop up WB, such as deficons and suchlike. If you say you tried Dopus once and didn't like it, please try it again. It is my honest and heartfelt opinion that no-one in their right mind could prefer wb or d4 over dopus5, having used both for a long while. I think you just haven't given it a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Point2: Dopus5 can be set up to look like and act like the workbench, or even opus4, if you so desire.

Point3: Dopus5 isn't bloated. It comes on one floppy disk (with an optional add-on disk). It also uses less RAM while in operation than wb3.9. It is a little slower, it must be said, than WB; but under a native PPC port, are you likely to notice?

Direct integration of dopus into OS4 would improve the Amiga user environment enormously. Giving the choice would probably make dopus as it is now - having too many patches into the OS just to work.
Think about it.

Offline createcoms

• Show only replies by createcoms
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2002, 10:16:31 PM »
I hope it is either integrated in a non-damaging way or we have the option to turn it off.

Personally I don't like it - I see some do and therefore we need the choice to satisfy both parties.

Chathurawind

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2002, 11:39:00 PM »
I think both Workbench and Dopus have both good and bad points.

WB is simple and fast but closing down all those windows is a pain and the list by name feature sucks. You dont get much work done when you are constantly closing down and cleaning and snapshotting icons!

Dopus is a little better but the filetype feature is a little buggy and slow with things it dont know.

I think to implement the two will benefit all and both can learn from each other.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2002, 11:53:07 PM »
Point3: Dopus5 isn't bloated. It comes on one floppy disk (with an optional add-on disk). It also uses less RAM while in operation than wb3.9. It is a little slower, it must be said, than WB; but under a native PPC port, are you likely to notice?

The only reason it is slower is because you could not disable ChipRAM access under Magellan like you could under regular WB, this won't be a problem on an AmigaOne I'm sure since there is no ChipRAM
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Chathurawind

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2002, 04:08:34 AM »
>The only reason it is slower is because you could not disable ChipRAM access under Magellan like
>you could under regular WB, this won't be a problem on an AmigaOne I'm sure since there is no ChipRAM

Are you sure?Use TweakWB,WBCtrl or WBAllocFast,all on Aminet.I have 1.96mb or chip ram still available after
loading Dopus.Then again,I don't use the icon mode windows much(prefer listers).

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2002, 04:11:08 AM »
Arrggghh!Forgot to log in before posting...AGAIN....

Regards,

ALan

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2002, 11:24:51 AM »
[color=0000FF]
Point 1: Dopus5 is much, much, *much* more powerful than workbench or opus4: more powerful in almost every way. It makes using an Amiga a much nicer experience, whether you are a beginner or an advanced user. It is much better than the many utils used to prop up WB, such as deficons and suchlike. If you say you tried Dopus once and didn't like it, please try it again. It is my honest and heartfelt opinion that no-one in their right mind could prefer wb or d4 over dopus5, having used both for a long while. I think you just haven't given it a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised!
[/color]

I don't use DefIcons, borderless Icons, FTPMount, or anything else like that. What I _do_ use is ToolManager and MCP (and I'll have to use MCP despite of Magellan).

[color=0000FF]
Point2: Dopus5 can be set up to look like and act like the workbench, or even opus4, if you so desire.
[/color]

Why would I want an application to suck extra memory if it's only task is to emulate Workbench...?

[color=0000FF]
[/color]

I mean the UI and config is bloated. I don't use WB 3.9 either, since I think that too is bloated. Besides, the ReAction gadgets are too damn ugly...

Well, anyaways, who cares? Since Magellan won't be the single UI choice in OS4, all is OK :-)
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2002, 04:17:23 PM »
C'mon, this is the 21st century. All of these things you mentioned as bloated or sucking memory are clockspring tight compared to modern OS's like Linux and XP. And a difference of 200KB seems rather less significant when computers are now being sold with 512MB of RAM.

If you use a plain vinilla 1993-style Amiga setup, that's completely up to you, but you are certainly missing a lot.

PS: Reaction gadgets are hardly ugly. And at least they aren't nearly as bloated or unstable as a certain other Amiga GUI system if could mention...

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2002, 10:48:17 AM »
Yes, but I'm kind of a minimalist. ;-)

I hate the Windows XP UI. Linux is bloated?
No, it's not: http://carls.1av10.nu/l.jpg
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline cycloid

• Show only replies by cycloid
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2002, 11:57:23 PM »
i think a lot of you ney-sayers are missing what i think is the point.

...that the prime objective of any "new" amiga is to allow mere mortals and human beings to use it... so some of you prefer to download patch xyz from aminet that saves you 8k of memory and gives you a 0.1 second boost over patch abc and you should still have that rite.

but when a newbie amiga user (and we do want to convert some of the unfortunate PC users) gets confronted by the ####ty look and feel of a 3.1 desktop (4 colors, dumb icons, zero configgability and "what the hell is the difference between a commodity a tool and a utility!?") what exactly are they supposed to do? ++ I ++ know i can install fullpalette, visualprefs and have to edit startup-sequence and patch some libraries a nd a whole load of other junk on top (just to make it look pretty!) but do we really want to subject normal people to that?

if magellan and something like visualprefs and some other touches like click-to-front options (and please please make newicons the standard and ditch all the "old" icons, and can we have standard filetpye icons instead of having to go back-and-forth between name and icon mode?) were there as the "default" option (yes i still said "option" there and the options should have nicce explanations next to them: "allows you to configure the look and feel of windows, buttons, menus and more. With this disabled you only get a basic environment to work in") then all the newbies and people like me could just go get an amiga and 4.0 and install it and get on with surfing and emailing without giving a monkeys about "workbench-emulator" vs "workbench-replacement" vs "workbench + file manager" vs "visualprefs or shell"... think about it .. modular is good, modular kicks utter ass over bloatey windows but giving people a 3.1-alike as the default and making them fork out MORE moneyand making them download obscure patches for a little user-friendlyness  = bad bad bad

cycloid

(N.B. i'm not a spelling or punctuation facist)