Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help! problem with AmigaOS / Linux boot !!  (Read 781 times)

Description:

Offline beltrixxTopic starter

• http://elciudadanocableado.wordpress.com
Help! problem with AmigaOS / Linux boot !!
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:51:50 PM »
Hi

I'm having a big problem after Debian Sarge installation on my A1200, would appreciate some help!

I'm quite used to Linux installations on i386 systems but, unfortunately, not on Amigas...

So I installed Debian Sarge today but when the system resets for the first time after Linux installation, AmigaOS doesn't boot. I think the problem is that I TICKED the
bootable flag of the Linux partition when installing ...

I didn't find no warnings on this in the Debian install docs I read, so I downloaded some docs about Amiga & Linux from Aminet and in one of them I could read NOT TO SELECT
the bootable flag on the Linux partition, so ... I'm afraid it's too late now ...

I've tried to fix the situation booting from the AmigaOS emergency disk and starting HDToolbox and unticking the bootable flag from the Linux partition, but when I do this
the system self-resets and shows a red-boxed warning "software error" & "left click the mouse to continue".

I suspect that the only way to recover my normal AmigaOS boot should be deleting the linux partition marked as "bootable" from within HDToolBox ... but I only consider it as the last chance, cause my system is extremely slow (68030, no fast ata controller) and it has took a lot of hours to install the basic Debian package on it.

¿Any ideas on how to fix the situation and keep both OS?

Thanks in advance,

Manel.
A1200 Desktop : 16 Gb CF card, DVD ROM, ZIP 250, Fastata 1200 MKII, 128 Mb Fast, Microbotics 1230XA Accelerator, WLAN Card, AmigaOS 3.9
Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed by so many to so few. (W. Churchill)