Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga firewall software  (Read 1293 times)

Description:

Amiga firewall software
« on: November 30, 2002, 11:40:52 AM »
After reading another thread here I was wondering if there is any firewall software for the Amiga?

I only run the ordinary version of Miami.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Amiga firewall software
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 11:46:41 AM »
Sorry, there isn't any firewall software for the Amiga. MiamiDX at least has packet filtering, a crude and only partially effective way of firewalling your machine. Otherwise, the Amiga's main defence against net hackers is the fact that most won't know how it works. Unless you run Samba or something, your Amiga isn't really vulnernable.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 01:55:58 PM »
But, as OS4 makes it's way into homes and usage goes up, there needs to be some software to cover this area.  Eventually people will discover and take advantage of that.  The other thing is to just buy a router with firewall built in if you are on broadband.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 02:16:31 PM »
The only firewallsoftware that i know of is MiamiDX.

It has the same IPFilter system of Miami which works well enough, but also a built in forwall system for protecting a lan setup if you decide to make use of its router features.
the firewallis based on bsd code so is reasonably secure.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 02:25:38 PM »
I would be nice to see a software solution, but you can just do what I do with a hardware based firewall.

I have an old linux box in the basement that acts as a firewall/router for my cable modem.  All the other computers in the house, mostly PC's but also an old Mac Quadra 800, are hooked up to a LAN that sits behind the linux firewall so they're all protected.