Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ADF -> "real Amiga": Do I need a HDD?  (Read 3815 times)

Description:

Re: ADF -> "real Amiga": Do I need a HDD?
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 29, 2002, 01:20:38 PM »
Can I use a pc hd with my Amiga? Can I do this adf->amiga disk-thing with do floppy drives?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2002, 01:26:30 PM »
> Can I use a pc hd with my Amiga?

Yes. See fat95.lha

> Can I do this adf->amiga disk-thing with do floppy drives?

I assume s/do/two/

If so, yes.

You just need someone write the image to amiga floppy (or two, floppies can be a bit unreliable) for you.

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2002, 01:26:45 PM »
> I´m newbie so please help me. Do I need a hard disk drive for my Amiga if i want to convert adf-files to amiga disks?

What Amiga model do you have? And what system resources do you have? If you're running on an A500 with less than one megabyte of ram, you have a problem. Thing is, the ADF disk images are too large for PC formatted DD floppies. This means that you would need to compress them in order to move them to the Amiga in the first place, and then you would need somewhere to uncompress it afterwards. A few possible solutions:
1. Easiest of all: Find someone with a decent Amiga, have them do it for you.
2. If you have one megabyte of ram: Compress the disk image, put it on a PC-formatted DD floppy together with an uncompression tool that works on the Amiga, as well as a tool to write it to floppy, move the disk to the Amiga, unpack the ADF to ram, copy the tool for writing it to disk to ram, insert a blank floppy, and try to run the diskwriting tool. You will be operating under very harsh memory conditions, so the success of this approach depends on the memory requirements of the programs you use.
3. If you have one megabyte of ram, or an extra diskdrive: See if you can find a tool to convert the ADF to a DMS file. A DMS is compressed, and can be written directly without uncompressing, so it should be possible to keep the DMS file on a PC formatted floppy and write it directly from there. If you don't have an extra diskdrive, you could also try the previously mentioned approach, but with a DMS file instead of an ADF one. It should give you better memory conditions.
4. If you have less than a megabyte of ram, you have a problem, but, the ADF->DMS->PC floppy->RAM->Amiga Disk approach MIGHT work, depending on how well the game you're trying to write out compresses.

Okay, some of that might have been a bit unclear. Feel free to ask for a more detailed explanation if any of the above solutions could work for you.

Kay

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2002, 01:35:38 PM »

Piru wrote:
> 2) Put the RAR file on a 720k floppy.

Obviously this only works if the ADF get compressed enough so that it fit the disk. Some games and demos use compression themselves and then RAR can't compress it enough.

Then you make the archive span over two 720k files...

BTW, I've never seen that happen ( not saying that it's impossible, though. ), but then I generally use multiple volumes to compress a load of ADFs at one time...
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2002, 01:35:52 PM »
Thanks Kay! That was very useful! I don´t have extra ram or extra floppy drive. I´m gonna buy those next week. I´ll try these things then. I think I´ll be back then =)

Terveisiä Pirulle =)

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2002, 01:49:20 PM »
If you obtain a 1760k external for your second floppy drive there would be no need to split files. With CrossDos or Fat95 these drives will even handle a 1440k PC floppy disk.
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2002, 02:00:09 PM »
Just a thought - Synapse, an Amiga Dealer in Brisbane, Australia is selling out and clearing ALL their software. If purchased from them, there is no need of ADFs as THIS is ORIGINAL Amiga software in original packaging!!

Synapse

There is stuff there that goes way back to the late '80s.
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2002, 02:25:19 PM »
I built this device for my A500: http://aminet.back2roots.org/pub/aminet/hard/hack/a500ide.readme

Plugged in a 540MB hd and parnet to my A1200 (could easily be replaced with a serial connection to a PC) and then I can just copy over anything I want. Seems my A1200's floppydrive suddenly started working again, which made everything a lot easier...

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2002, 03:11:47 PM »
Can I do this all with A600?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2002, 03:16:45 PM »
> Can I do this all with A600?

Sure.

But please note that A600 has ECS chipset and 1MB chip ram.
Some very old games/demos might have problems on A600, but most things should work just fine.

Obviously you will have problems if the game has some controls on the numeric keyboard, as this part is completely missing from the A600.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2002, 04:41:23 PM »

ooiu wrote:
I´m newbie so please help me. Do I need a hard disk drive for my Amiga if i want to convert adf-files to amiga disks?

I think i did it without... what i did was copy the adf file into the ram then run the adf2disk prog...  The biggest prob was getting those adf files to the amiga box, i used a pc diskreader prog, and since pc formated floppys dont take a adf image, i had to compress it first...
Even then most wouldnt fit unless you split it up or something  :-x

So yeah was alot of hassle  :-(  But it worked.