Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I made progress.  I think all this just might work out.

I made screenshots with my scope of what is going on with the E signal.

Initial shows the E from processor (yellow), vs the half divided E output of the modified accelerator.  This is the condition at the beginning of this thread.

I was able to hide every other E pulse with an AND gate with inputs from two diver flip flops, the resulting E signal is 25/75 duty cycle.  This produced a white screen, by itself this was not enough.

Another attempt was to just use the divider output with 50/50 duty cycle, as in Dennis's design, but likewise by itself it produced a white screen.

Last (working) picture shows E from processor (yellow), 1st divider flip flop (green), and the E output from AND of two divider flip flops (pink).  There is about 8ns delay of the pink pulse vs yellow, and a 4ns delay relative to green.  I was able to boot to Workbench with a physical floppy (Epson SMD-300), but not the Gotek, although I was able to run ATK from Gotek and do the timer tests, they all passed.  No game tests because I don't have any on hand on a physical floppy, need to get the Gotek working.  I think it's a timing problem, I think I need to shave at least 4ns with faster flip flops, which I don't have on hand, will need to order some.  This is all the progress I can make until then.
So what got it working is feeding this E signal into the NOR gate (U4C on the schematic), as well as using this E to trigger the /VPA and /VMA latching (U5B).

I have an idea for how to generate proper 40/60 duty cycle, by doing an AND of the 1st divider flip flop and the E from processor, then XOR with 2nd divider flip flop.  The cycle math works out as follows, at 28MHz the period of E the Amiga chipset expects is 40 cycles (4x10), so the 50/50 pulse generated by the divider is 20 cycles.  The E pulse from the processor is 4 cycles.  By using the circuit I described I cut off 4 cycles from the pulse of 20.  The result is a pulse of 16 cycles, which is 40% of the 40 cycle period.  I am not going to try this until I get faster divider flip flops because this isn't the source of my problem at the moment.
I kept thinking about this, and what I read in the 68000 datasheet.  The datasheet says the beginning of the E period is not guaranteed, so it wouldn't matter if the generated E pulse is delayed by whole cycles.  This is likely why this "just works".  I did still have a concern whether it's a problem when externally generated E is somewhere else relative to the processor state machine, but I realize the divided E frequency wouldn't coincide with any processor state machine anyway, so it seems this doesn't matter either since I already know that works.

The only reason this sloppy E clock timing works at all is because the 8520 CIA is not a Motorola 6800 peripheral chip. If it was, this 14 MHz accelerator design would fail. Commodore designed these custom chips for the Amiga and using the E clock to drive them somewhat simplified the Amiga's I/O hardware design.

But just because you can sometimes get away with sloppy timing does not means it's often good idea to do so.

The fundamental timing problem is still not corrected because @ 28 MHz the CPU's E clock cycle will end in one 7 MHz clock. A more reliable way to handle this problem is to disable the 68000 E clock CPU cycle by disconnecting VPA and connecting a pull-up resistor. You then add logic to generate VMA when the E clock is low and keep it latched when the E clock is high. Here is some example boolean logic equations:

/VMA = /E * /VPA # /VMA * E

Next you need to generate EDTACK to terminate the cycle:

/EDTACK.D = /AS * /VMA
/DTACK.D = /AS * /EDTACK

NOTE: Both signals are registered on the rising edge of the 7 MHz clock (but you can experiment with the falling edge) and DTACK is a Tri_State signal.

As far as creating the proper 60/40 duty cycle, that's probably not as important as having the E clock at the proper frequency and having the rising edge synchronized with the 7 MHz clock. The main reason to keep the correct duty cycle is performance concerns.

Then when you get the E clock timing problem solved you can worry about the other timing problems listed in my previous post. ;D       

I made progress.  I think all this just might work out.

I made screenshots with my scope of what is going on with the E signal.

Initial shows the E from processor (yellow), vs the half divided E output of the modified accelerator.  This is the condition at the beginning of this thread.

I was able to hide every other E pulse with an AND gate with inputs from two diver flip flops, the resulting E signal is 25/75 duty cycle.  This produced a white screen, by itself this was not enough.

Another attempt was to just use the divider output with 50/50 duty cycle, as in Dennis's design, but likewise by itself it produced a white screen.

Last (working) picture shows E from processor (yellow), 1st divider flip flop (green), and the E output from AND of two divider flip flops (pink).  There is about 8ns delay of the pink pulse vs yellow, and a 4ns delay relative to green.  I was able to boot to Workbench with a physical floppy (Epson SMD-300), but not the Gotek, although I was able to run ATK from Gotek and do the timer tests, they all passed.  No game tests because I don't have any on hand on a physical floppy, need to get the Gotek working.  I think it's a timing problem, I think I need to shave at least 4ns with faster flip flops, which I don't have on hand, will need to order some.  This is all the progress I can make until then.
So what got it working is feeding this E signal into the NOR gate (U4C on the schematic), as well as using this E to trigger the /VPA and /VMA latching (U5B).

I have an idea for how to generate proper 40/60 duty cycle, by doing an AND of the 1st divider flip flop and the E from processor, then XOR with 2nd divider flip flop.  The cycle math works out as follows, at 28MHz the period of E the Amiga chipset expects is 40 cycles (4x10), so the 50/50 pulse generated by the divider is 20 cycles.  The E pulse from the processor is 4 cycles.  By using the circuit I described I cut off 4 cycles from the pulse of 20.  The result is a pulse of 16 cycles, which is 40% of the 40 cycle period.  I am not going to try this until I get faster divider flip flops because this isn't the source of my problem at the moment.

observation I made regarding the 14MHz accelerator in OP that the flip flop (74x112) used to divide the E frequency from the processor is falling edge triggered!  Meaning the E signal it outputs is delayed by the 4 processor clock cycles (of the 10 in the 6/4 duty cycle split) and rises on the falling edge of processor E![/b] (That doesn't seem right, but somehow it works.) 
I kept thinking about this, and what I read in the 68000 datasheet.  The datasheet says the beginning of the E period is not guaranteed, so it wouldn't matter if the generated E pulse is delayed by whole cycles.  This is likely why this "just works".  I did still have a concern whether it's a problem when externally generated E is somewhere else relative to the processor state machine, but I realize the divided E frequency wouldn't coincide with any processor state machine anyway, so it seems this doesn't matter either since I already know that works.
A600 GS / Re: Welcome to the A600GS forum
« Last post by BozzerBigD on April 24, 2024, 08:29:07 AM »
AMiNIMiga has a shared folder that is visible on PCs hence files can be exported/imported.
Hi All

After a lot of trying I could not get the A314cp to connect to the internet so I have given up and sold my towered on eBay.

I am not very good with Discord etc so couldn't find much info, need to slim down my collection anyway!

Regards

Barry

I have Superbuster-11.  I cannot remember how many Zorro slots I tried.  And when I put the Alpha 5 ROMs back in the A3000 softkicks just fine.  I would not even have bothered with buying the ROMs if the memory card had worked.

I had tried the same memory cards (have two) in my A4000 and it cannot see them at all.  At least the A3000 sees them as defective. I tried all of the Zorro slots on the A4000.  I tried probably two on the A3000.  I notified the vendor what my board version number was but he had no other instructions.
Amiga Marketplace / Re: 30 pin SIMM sockets, ideally low profile (20/30degs)
« Last post by Castellen on April 23, 2024, 08:46:09 PM »
I need to replace some SIMM sockets on an memory/SCSI card, I think I can get away with 4 slots, but ideally I'd replace all 16 slots.

There are various models of 30 pin SIMM sockets, you'll need to find something that physically fits.  I have 8 x new dual 30 pin SIMM sockets (16 slots) in stock, which are AMP part number 2-382130-1, compatible with what's used on the Progress Zeus 2040 cards.

Details here: http://amiga.serveftp.net/inventory.xgi
Look for part name: Socket, SIMM30 x 2, angle
Amiga Marketplace / Re: 30 pin SIMM sockets, ideally low profile (20/30degs)
« Last post by Boing-ball on April 23, 2024, 05:11:50 PM »
There is a WODEM called new serial to WLAN adapter recently released, but it is not as fast as you would like it to be.
I'd prefer the PCMCIA solution or maybe a ClockPort card, the a314cp as an exotic solution.
Since you have a tower case there might be an option to add a bus board to it.

Very Interesting! I hadn't noticed this before! I've recently connected an Aiptek Hyperpen 6000 which has a 9 pin connector using a 9 pin to 25 pin adapter. It requires a driver called FormAldiHyd, but it works!

As for this WLAN adapter, I can see how it would be possible to connect it using the same adapter I bought to connect the Aiptek graphics tablet. However, it would probably need some software or a specific driver for this cable to get it working. I may have all the Internet software, including one or more browsers, and the TCP/IP stack already set up on a CF card I bought from a well known, trustworthy seller on eBay.

Of course, this would just be an alternative to transfers of files downloaded from the Internet on another computer, then transferred to my Amiga A1200 using a CF card. It could be for Aminet downloads, transferring artwork via email, and a couple of other things. I always used to use Amigas to create things and sometimes used BBSs. With modern computers, they're used mainly for the Internet!

How could I connect to the Internet using this cable on my A1200?

Amiga Marketplace / 30 pin SIMM sockets, ideally low profile (20/30degs)
« Last post by Retronaut on April 23, 2024, 04:01:36 PM »
I need to replace some SIMM sockets on an memory/SCSI card, I think I can get away with 4 slots, but ideally I'd replace all 16 slots.

Does anyone know of a source that is selling these at a reasonable price?

I found a supplier in the USA that sells them for $2.80 a pop, but sadly, they will ONLY deal with a business, with a minimum order of $400 + UPS delivery, so not viable for my case.
@bjjones37

First off, on the A3K. Which Buster chip are you using? Have you tried all Zorro slots with the card?

The ROMs you pulled. When you put these back in, does the system work again?

From videos I have seen of Chris Edwards YT channel. I am under the impression the Revision 6 boards require something called a ROM tower. So simply just plugging in new ROMs without the tower part may not work.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10