Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kickstart ROM Replacement (Phase II) Assigned  (Read 28373 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Kickstart ROM Replacement (Phase II) Assigned
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
i hope you are right. actually we (or better alain and bernd) were able to force gcc to that following bernds method. it worked with 2.9.x and 3.4.x but was kinda hack. it was enough to recompile running storm mesa but there were some flaws. probably not due to that. being noob i dont know if this is the same problem though.

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;590753
@wawrzon:
not even such well donated ones as firefox i think. besides this is maybe a sad example as there obviously wasnt deliverd anything worth mention not even enough feedback on development status for about a year. not to speak of the time before.

I don't think you quite got what is happening with Firefox. First, the developers took the project on without a bounty in place. They took it on under their own terms, purely because they wanted to do it. Then the bounty arrived, created and suggested by people other than the developers, purely as a show of appreciation for their work. It wasn't meant as a motivational spur for the developers, and the developers are under no obligation to pass on any information, or even finish the project. That said, they have been pretty quiet about it but have said they're still working on it, delayed by the move to the Firefox 4 code base.

Anyway, I think that bounties are quite a good system, giving great rewards to the community such as this Kickstart one. If you don't like the bounties, then don't contribute, but feel free to suggest a realistic alternative solution.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »
i am contributing to bounties i expect to be completed. for instance: i would have contributed to opensource poseidon (although i already have it available on 68k) but it went so fast that i was late. given the record of chris hodges it was obvious that it will be completed in short. i contributed a little to kickstart bounty, when it wasnt assigned to anyone that seem to be capable to complete it, but now i contributed again because i expect results in a short therm. i do not contribute to update zune compatibility to mui4, although i would like to, but i do not see chances for it to be assigned atm. i didnt contribute to firefox either, because as 68k user it has no value to me, as its been stated it will ont work below 4.1 and also because i do not believe that developers that have to develop and maintain the whole operating system all alone have enough time left for that.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;591144
i am contributing to bounties i expect to be completed. for instance: i would have contributed to opensource poseidon (although i already have it available on 68k) but it went so fast that i was late. given the record of chris hodges it was obvious that it will be completed in short. i contributed a little to kickstart bounty, when it wasnt assigned to anyone that seem to be capable to complete it, but now i contributed again because i expect results in a short therm. i do not contribute to update zune compatibility to mui4, although i would like to, but i do not see chances for it to be assigned atm. i didnt contribute to firefox either, because as 68k user it has no value to me, as its been stated it will ont work below 4.1 and also because i do not believe that developers that have to develop and maintain the whole operating system all alone have enough time left for that.
Slightly off topic, but why bother with Firefox? Surely a webkit browser is a much better idea... And we have that with OWB, which I have used on my AROS laptop without issue (as an iPhone user, I'm used to a flashless Internet)... I expect with enough RAM, OWB works fine on 68k too!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »
@bloodline: yes, i expect aros owb to be easiest task, but have not been able to track down the complete source, the one in contribs contains some diffs. see my posts on aros-exec:
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5245&forum=2&post_id=48494#forumpost48494

to compile mos version, what i'd prefer, will be much more difficult i think, im not even familiar enough with cmake.

edit: if you could help mi with this issue, id be grateful, but still there endiannes issues may remain, like with lunapaint. sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:30:09 PM by wawrzon »

Offline deadwoodTopic starter

• Show only replies by deadwood

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
Wow, progress is going much faster than I expected!
It is great to see workbench could load. :)

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 10:46:20 AM »
It's good to see progress being made! Nice green background. I think we need some 8 colour icons though!

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »
It's been pointed out at AROS Exec that if you want to test this, you'd do yourself a real favor if you turn off decoration (look for C: Decoration in the startup-sequence). The AROS decoration/theme code is a real resource hog even on fast x86 boxes. If you comment out / remove the call to C: Decoration it'll fall back to the 3.1 look anyway.

Offline Mr_DBUG

• Show only replies by Mr_DBUG
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 03:33:13 AM »
Awesome ! Going to donate a little to both bounties right now !!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »
there is a password needed to checkout aros svn. id like to see if i can build it. optionally could test on my a4k with flashrom as soon as some sort of hd interface is supported. any chance that aos devices will work under aros?

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 09:05:45 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;594625
there is a password needed to checkout aros svn. id like to see if i can build it. optionally could test on my a4k with flashrom as soon as some sort of hd interface is supported. any chance that aos devices will work under aros?

You can get source package from downloads page:

http://aros.sourceforge.net/download.php

or a read-only GIT access here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »
thx. wasnt entirely succesful yet to check out the code, blame the bad connection.
will report back if i need build instructions, but have to see the makefiles first.

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »
The bounty has passed $2000, thanks to everyone who donated :)

http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/6

Offline obscurepanic

• Show only replies by obscurepanic
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 12:18:12 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong because I have a poor knowledge on this. But is this Kickstart replacement a reverse engineering of the original Kickstart?

Anyways, I love how AROS is doing well. Might try it to my computer soon. I am a mere new guy in the Amiga world and I respect all the people maintaining how great Amiga (or AmigaOS) is.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 03, 2010, 01:51:18 AM »
Quote from: obscurepanic;596560
Correct me if I'm wrong because I have a poor knowledge on this. But is this Kickstart replacement a reverse engineering of the original Kickstart?

Anyways, I love how AROS is doing well. Might try it to my computer soon. I am a mere new guy in the Amiga world and I respect all the people maintaining how great Amiga (or AmigaOS) is.
Sort of... Basically AROS is an operating system build to the same specification as AmigaOS, this is quite easy to do as the OS was VERY well documented... In theory it should be a drop in replacement for the original OS, Jason and Toni are currently working through the source code fixing areas of incompatibility :)