Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first Mac! (A classic).  (Read 10183 times)

Description:

Offline recidivist

• Show all replies
Re: My first Mac! (A classic).
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »
Gosh,I better jump in here and make you feel better!

The Cincinnati Ohio craigslist has a nice  Mac IIsi system for $300!!!
And someone  has been trying to peddle a older PowerMac set for $650,now down to $160 after several months.

But IMac crt models appear fairly regularly for $20 to $150!
 I have  a PowerMac 8xxx picked up at  a summer hamfest for $1,and  several "pizza box" PM  for $1 or less.Including one  that was once used at  Compuserve customer service.
Then again my Lime /DVD cost $1000 plus  new .

Two thoughts:is it worth 40 quid to YOU?

Throw away a working computer(radio,car,frisbee)????Oh the horror.

Offline recidivist

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »
toykyo racer,

I hope for your sake it IS a 8100 or better..

Go to  lowendmac.com

Loads of good info  to get you started.
 And unless you're in love with whatever model it turns out  to be at the cash store;DON"T spend loads on upgrading it ;olde Apples PowerMacs  aren't worth much,you might well  find an entire  G3 for the price of an upgrade  card.Certain classic models have more capability and cheaper expandibility.

Offline recidivist

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:08 AM »
Just checked eBay and tokyoracer's  40 quid isn't bad compared to current listing for a 6100/60(gotta love the one wanting $150 buy it now.)

Offline recidivist

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »
If it has no picture at all,return it ;unless you bought it completely as-is AND didn't try it out  first.
 In that case,you may REALLY have been had.
 Recheck your connections,make sure both monitor and cpu power switches on,etc.
 The computer itself should make a musical sound if ok on startup,the sound of breaking glass if not.

Offline recidivist

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »
You really want to get hold of  a later ,more standard model for ease of finding "kit";the  7200 was my first PowerMac but the 7500 or 7600 are better since they can  take more upgrading,and there are Beige G3s that should still be very cheap yet when stuffed with RAM,and a CPU upgrade are pretty powerful.And they will use your current keyboard,mouse and monitor.Plus you can network Macs easily and upgrading the OS to System 7.5.5 is free.I don't know how much shipping is to jolly ol England but perhaps a better PowerMac could find its way to you for the cost of shipping and packing

Some people forget that the older computer can still do everything it did when it was the neweset,latest,and greatest machine!Some old computers made by a company called Commodore  come to mind.

The  biggest stumbling block is that current websites often demand current versions of web browsers which demand current cpus and current OS----if not for that I would likely still be using my Mac IIci
 as it did everything I thought I wanted...especially since I wasn't concerned with  megapixel photos and full-screen streaming videos!(Actually  at 1.2 to 1.5 M DSL ,I still don't do  much video,but 14.4 dial-up  did surprisingly well in a TINY Quicktime window.Ahhhh,progress.)

Offline recidivist

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:50:02 PM »
Around here G3 (CRT) iMac can be had for $20 and up;a  graphics company is selling their old 700 MHz  ones for $75  with Mac OSX4.11 installed;those will also run older MAC OS.
 The CRT reall adds weight,i.e. costs more to ship.
 For the "classic" Mac hobyist want ing  a neat modern Mac,the  eMac  CRT  sold in a 17 inch screen with 1.25 GHz PPC,and is a great Mac for $100 to $150.(But IBM leavings are even cheaper;got another  2.4 GHz Celeron  tower WITH valid XP license,512 ram,harddrive,wireless card for $15 at the thrift store last week.)Hobby computing doesn't have to be expensive(so says the guy who has spent  $1000 on Amiga stuff this year-it's an addiction!)

For those who find the Mac discussion distasteful,remember the ads in the British AMIGA mags  that encouraged users to move to Mac after the various bankruptcies since no new Amiga models or stock was forthcoming? Some Mac models promoted as Amiga replacements were  even pre-PPC!

I STILL want AOS or MorphOS or Amiga Forever (Mac) !!!