Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Catweasel MK3 and Tabor  (Read 1351 times)

Description:

Offline First Ninja

Re: Catweasel MK3 and Tabor
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 26, 2020, 01:52:55 PM »
"x16 PCIe compatible" doesn't mean it's a x16 slot. It means if you put a x16 PCIe card in there it'll physically fit and work.

The way PCIe works is it's connectors are made up of a varying number of lanes, which is what the "x4" or "x16" refers to. You only need one lane for PCIe to work, and extra ones just make it faster.

So when you say "x4 PCIe link" and "x16 PCIe compatible connector", what that means is that the connector is the correct size for a 16x card to fit, but only wired up for x4. The extra pins don't connect to anything, but it's compatible in the sense something plugs in and works.

Got it, and thank you for sorting everything out. So essentially Tabor owners with a Radeon graphics card onboard won't have the option to use a second PCIe card at the same time?
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 01:13:36 PM »
Every pic I have ever seen of the Tabor shows only one slot on the board.
I know the current board may have some new components swapped out due to lack af availability, but they aren't going to change the architecture and add more slots.

One slot only and that will be taken by the Radeon video card.

The following users thanked this post: First Ninja

Offline Rob

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 10:55:33 PM »
The P1022 SOC Only has 6 SERDES lanes.  4 are used for the PCIe slot and the other 2 are used for the SATA ports.  Additional hardware devices would have to connect to USB or the onboard headers for I2C, SPI and so on.

The following users thanked this post: First Ninja