Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI 3 B is incoming!  (Read 18015 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Raspberry PI 3 B is incoming!
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 04, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
Mine turned up yesterday :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
Quote from: jltursan;805360
That's why I've been trying for some time to turn one of these devices into a desktop machine (silent and small size) and believe me, they're still far from capable to run basic desktop gear. Open a browser, a mail client and a Office suite and you'll be stuck for minutes waiting for things to happen...:(

I must to go for a ODroid XU4 to get something like the above and it's not silent anymore.

Why can't a Linux be installed in our old Android phones?, I've some of them and all are far better than the Pi3 :rant:

Transferring your system to USB speeds things up a bit.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »
Using F2FS with noatime, nodiratime on a class 10 card helps a lot too.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
Also, despite what they say...

Install Chrome!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »
According to this article, Raspberry Pi Foundation has shipped over 8 million units in four years.  That caught my eye since Commodore sold 7 million Amigas.   https://opensource.com/life/16/2/raspberry-pi-3-rolls-out?sc_cid=70160000000q67VAAQ

Somewhere Jack is smiling: "We need to build computers for the masses, not the classes." - Jack Tramiel
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
The ODROID-C2 looks like a decent board. Faster CPU and GPU with eMMC SSD slot but no WiFi. Only $5 more too.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 04:16:32 PM »
That's why I've been trying for some time to turn one of these devices into a desktop machine (silent and small size) and believe me, they're still far from capable to run basic desktop gear. Open a browser, a mail client and a Office suite and you'll be stuck for minutes waiting for things to happen...:(

I must to go for a ODroid XU4 to get something like the above and it's not silent anymore.

Why can't a Linux be installed in our old Android phones?, I've some of them and all are far better than the Pi3 :rant:

Full Linux distros have been ported to many Android devices over on http://forum.xda-developers.com

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;805577
The ODROID-C2 looks like a decent board. Faster CPU and GPU with eMMC SSD slot but no WiFi. Only $5 more too.

The video chipset isn't as well supported atm, that's why everyone uses Pi still.

Offline jltursan

• Show only replies by jltursan
    • https://sites.google.com/site/msxpage/
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 07:48:50 AM »
Agreed, that's the case of the Orange PI, lack of support and poorly home-cooked distros. The fake hardware is the lesser problem when dealiing with an OPI.

So, has the ODroid also lack of support?, seems that it has a lot of distros available, none of them has bring video hardware acceleration?. If so, the XU4 it's severely crippled and can't be used as a desktop replacement for sure...:(

Offline nicholas

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »
Quote from: jltursan;805631
Agreed, that's the case of the Orange PI, lack of support and poorly home-cooked distros. The fake hardware is the lesser problem when dealiing with an OPI.

So, has the ODroid also lack of support?, seems that it has a lot of distros available, none of them has bring video hardware acceleration?. If so, the XU4 it's severely crippled and can't be used as a desktop replacement for sure...:(

They use a binary firmware blob for the GPU like the RPi did in the early days and NVidia do still.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Raspberry PI 3 B is incoming!
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »
I may have to get one of these.  The RasPi 2 was half the speed of my Intel Mac Mini 2.1 with a Core2 Duo.  This could tip the scales in favor of the RasPi 3!  Not to mention the hardware Mesa drivers!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2016, 12:15:30 AM »
If there is a RetroPie distro for the Odroid (or others) that can play PSP and Dreamcast full speed, as well as all the other ports and emulators that the Pi varient of RetroPie supports, then I'm on it!

It's just that I've yet to find such a thing yet.  

In the mean time my Pi 3's came in and...

...I'm pretty happy!!! I wish it were 1.5Ghz, but honestly 1.2 is good enough to play 95% of what I want it to play anyhow. And when the Gl wrapper is done, the sky will be the limit. Also this will make things better for those who want to use it as a desktop too.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2016, 12:16:30 AM »

Minutes? For me it's like using a Netbook... so I have to presume you are running off of a SD card and a SLOW on at that.