Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring  (Read 17687 times)

Description:

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Re: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 06, 2015, 04:36:57 AM »
Quote from: ChuckT;783082
The Commodore users I knew wrote their own programs and were more of a D.I.Y. community and I don't see it here.
Heh, I am the ultimate C= end user.  If it's out there for 8-bit Commies, I'll buy it or demonstrate it or find someone who can do it.  I was never a programmer.
You should really question how long the old Amigas will function before breaking down.  10 years?  My Amiga stopped working after 10 years.
Hmm, my A1000's are still going, as are my other Amigas up to the 1200 and 4000.

FCUG celebrating 33 years,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
Larger file upload is something I miss, in the past I used image hosting services but today it's just easier to put the pictures on my own webserver and IMG tag em here.
But I know some people prefer attached images instead of huge ones in a thread so if bigger ones where allowed I would upload like that also.

Oh and something this forum really need is a option to set a thread to "project" when creating a new thread.
To explain what I mean, when I do something bigger on my Amigas I take pictures explain and post here and make a thread about it but as the project moves on I edit and add new pictures to my initial post but after x amount of time you can not edit your first post anymore and thus making a "Amiga 1200 project" thread hard to maintain since you gotta post new replies with pictures and then the images will be inside the thread and easy to miss for people who do not read the entire thread.

This is a feature I would want, set a new thread to "editable project".

Then I would post more of my projects here since it's easier to maintain. As I did in the past I posted quite a lot of pictures.

The biggest problem not having this feature is that when the image hosting place or i rebuild my file/web server struvture the images in my threads goes bye bye.
This happened in my quite detailed A1200 project thread, I wish I could edit it and put the pictures back.

So if this feature is added I would start making threads again with my projects.

Oh and ditch the electric cars sub forum ^^

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »
My suggestion is to merge all the subs in Coffee House into one where everything not fitting elsewhere goes, no need to structure it as it's hardly the reason people visit Amiga.org regulary but not so trivial as to simply get ridd of... we all have off topic questions sometimes that we want Amigaminded peoples input on.

Merge all Alladin4D subbs into one and possibly make it a sub under one of the Amiga forums such as "Amiga Software Issues and Discussion".

Move "Alternative Operating Systems" from "The Not Quite Amiga but still computer related category" to "Operating System Specific Discussions" and merge "Linux PPC discussion" with it.

Move "Amiga Emulation" from "Not Quite Amiga but still computer related category" to "Amiga computer related discussion".

Merge "CommodoreUSA Amiga" with "Coffee House".

Make "Amiga community support ideas" a sub under "Amiga News and Community Announcements".

That's my 2c

Offline motrucker

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;783156
I'm sure AmigaKit is already regretting posting this thread.  ;)

But while we're on it, I'd like to see a forum for new games being released.  For example, you've got this great new game, very polished, and what does the link say?  "Check it out over on EAB". :(

If they aren't regretting it now, they most likely will. This could get very interesting (was that Maxwell, or some one else).
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »
I only look at the coffee house to read about electric cars.:)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
Quote from: A6000;783195
I only look at the coffee house to read about electric cars.:)

I own stock in freaking Tesla and I don't even read that crap here.  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline nyteschayde

• Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »
I use the software development sub forums although I've posted in software thinking that was the right place in the past. What I would seriously like, is a wiki of sorts here a.org that served as an Amiga development learning hub. Tutorials and examples for BASIC, C, C++, E and whatever else people are into at the moment.

That is something I could seriously get behind.
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

ChuckT

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 02:16:43 AM »
Quote from: RobertB;783160
Heh, I am the ultimate C= end user.  If it's out there for 8-bit Commies, I'll buy it or demonstrate it or find someone who can do it.  I was never a programmer.

Hmm, my A1000's are still going, as are my other Amigas up to the 1200 and 4000.

FCUG celebrating 33 years,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Commodore 8 bit computers is something I have a heart for and don't mind reading about.  I hope others would like a forum here for that too.

ChuckT

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 02:23:58 AM »
I think if you look at some of the social groups here like FPGA computers and the like, you might find room for some forums that might keep those users around if they are active.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 09:03:01 PM »
I think CH/Electric Cars, CH/Immortality, and CH/Quantum computing could be removed and the threads moved into the other Coffee House forums. The Aladdin forums could probably be consolidated from 5 to 1 or 2.

I also only just noticed that there seem to be two different "other operating systems" forums that could be consolidated.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 06:34:38 AM »
The "Social Groups" can be removed as they haven't been accessed in years -- as long as you save the pictures...

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;783203

What I would seriously like, is a wiki of sorts here a.org that served as an Amiga development learning hub. Tutorials and examples for BASIC, C, C++, E and whatever else people are into at the moment.

That is something I could seriously get behind.

I support this brilliant idea!

I got my first computer back in 1986 - it was a CBM 610 (128 kB RAM) that I expanded to an CBM 620 (256 kB). There was near to no software available for it, aside from a word processor.

So I coded on it day and night (CBM Basic 4.0) and finally came up with a sort of GUI for it. It made the use of that machine much more convenient - just a mouse was missing, but I used the arrow- and enter-keys instead to move the cursor around.

I also ported many C64 games that didn't rely on colour and graphics with the help of a ROM cross reference list.

Then I got my first Amiga in 1989 - an A500.
I always wanted to learn how to code for the Amiga, but as there was enough software commercially available, there was no need to learn coding for the Amiga. When you went to a store, there always were hordes of pupils in the electronics section gathering around the Amigas and copying tons of floppy disks with the latest cracked software.
I was so busy with testing the new software titles to see if they are usable that no time was left to learn how to code for the Amiga. Of course I legally bought those titles that turned out to be a "must have" and so have a nice collection of Amiga productivity software today - including last StormC version, some Basic dialects, Hollywood and so on...

But when the NG Amigas came up and when many old software became more and more useless (like e.g. browsers), I started to regret that I never learned to code for the Amiga.

When I tried to, I quickly gave up again, as it turned out to be very time consuming to gather all necessary information on the web without the help of someone experienced. So a central point to get all the necessary information on how a beginner can learn to code for the Amiga (classic & NG) in the different languages would be more than welcome.

Different topic:
What I'm also missing here in the forum at A.org is a way to "mask" links like it is possible e.g. at Amiga-News.De. At amiga-news.de they have a button on the posting screen that - once clicked - opens an requestor where you can enter the URL and another one to enter the title (e.g. name of the website). This is a very neat feature, as some links can be really long (several lines) and it really makes sense to "mask" them like I did above with "Amiga-News.De".

I also miss buttons for bold, italics and underlined.
Or to enter code that shall get displayed as entered (and not interpreted as html) like I used it here to draw a schematics.

Furthermore I miss the large list of emoticons to pick from for use inside a posting. All I can see is a (short) list to pick an emoticon from for the thread title - below the editor window. The list for the use inside postings on the right side (or was it left?) disappeared some years ago...

Such little gimmicks would make posting here much more convenient without having to know html...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;796692
Different topic:
What I'm also missing here in the forum at A.org is a way to "mask" links like it is possible e.g. at Amiga-News.De.  At amiga-news.de they have a button on the posting screen that - once  clicked - opens an requestor where you can enter the URL and another one  to enter the title (e.g. name of the website). This is a very neat  feature, as some links can be really long (several lines) and it really  makes sense to "mask" them like I did above with "Amiga-News.De".

I also miss buttons for bold, italics and underlined.
Or to enter code that shall get displayed as entered (and not interpreted as html) like I used it here to draw a schematics.

Furthermore I miss the large list of emoticons to pick from for use inside  a posting. All I can see is a (short) list to pick an emoticon from for  the thread title - below the editor window. The list for the use inside  postings on the right side (or was it left?) disappeared some years  ago...

Such little gimmicks would make posting here much more convenient without having to know html...
What are you talking about? All these features are available and have been for years. Typing BB code isn't necessary.

Offline Amiga_CDTV

• Show only replies by Amiga_CDTV
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »
User can select between Basic/Standard/Enhanced Interface in User CP -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface. The Basic one is mostly just a text box without any formatting tools.
Commodore KIM-1, PET-2001, CBM 8032, CBM 8050, CBM 8250LP, D9060, VIC-20, C64, C64c, 1541, 1541-II, 1571, 1581,
Amiga A1000, A1060 Sidecar, A500, CDTV, CD32, 1084S, A1200, A1200 Magic Pack from Petro, ex-custom-case A3000T (now a complete A3000T), repaired A4000T and looking for more :)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_CDTV;796701
User can select between Basic/Standard/Enhanced Interface in User CP -> Edit Options -> Message Editor Interface. The Basic one is mostly just a text box without any formatting tools.

+1.  All those features you've requested are already available!  :hammer:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 09:16:53 PM »
Frankly, I loath change, so I would rather not see ANY changes made to the format of Amiga.org's forums.
That being said, I do tend to avoid going straight to specific forums UNLESS posting.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"