Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k, and i got mad :)  (Read 23016 times)

Description:

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 for 68k, and i got mad :)
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
@Gulliver

So, you're saying that those files you've put under the BB4 column inside the first 2 tables are 68k files which can be used under 3.9, or have I completely missed the point? And if I'm correct, do context menus actually work under 3.9? That'd be something waaay too cool!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:41:52 AM by Vulture »

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »
@gulliver

Actually OS4 has MUI 3.9, MOS has MUI 4.  So, what about the thing I asked you? Are the files you listed from OS4 for 68k and run under 3.9? Or did you mean something different?

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
@gulliver

nice finding this contextSAS as all the versions of contextmenus I could find (pre-release even) wouldn't work! thx!

@bernd

I think there should be an option to use AFA_OS with Ratte's solution under 8bit screens for ppl who want it, just optional and anyone does what he likes. I know I'll use it....

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
@bernd

Would you at least consider to support 15-bit screens? For BVision users like me, it saves memory and speed as I'm on 1600x900 desktop. Furthermore, about the 8-bit mode, I do open screens of 1920x1080x8bit (wordworth, dopus4 etc) that need no more than 256 colors, but look plain ugly without afaos, while the rest of the system looks great. Please give it some thought before rulling it out.

Also, are you aware that AFA-OS has some sort of conflict with Powerwindows iconify function? Placing windows out of sight works fine, but the iconify function (which iconifies ANY window, whether it has an iconify gadget or not) won't work if afaos is loaded. Would it be possible to check it out plz?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:22:28 PM by Vulture »

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »
@gulliver
 ah, sorry for going off-topic.... What I've tried so far is the contextmenus, which do not work on my system. To be exact, they do run and they do appear as commodity in exchange and as I r-click on an icon it's highlighted, but no menu. Maybe my WB is overpatched and something prevents it from openning the menu. I have popupmenu.library 10.10 with Piru's fix applied. PlayCD opens its window, but crashes soon after.

@bernd_afa

Man, thx for all the explaining :) Now, you mean next afa_os version will have gadgets in <16bit screens instead of white boxes? That sounds just about right. About Powerwindows...well, even if I disable the iconify gadget from the powerwindows prefs and just try with the hotkey I've defined, the iconify function won't work. I'll take a look at what you said, but I think it's kinda different as PW's method does not require a gadget to be drawn. And it's a great function to have really....

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »
@gulliver

Man, that means I need some serious "debugging" to do on my system to see what causes these problems. It's great that it works though, that means that I will eventually make it work here too! Did you create any menus before using the contextmenu as described in the command manual? I'll PM you about the popupmenu library.

@bernd_afa
what PW does is by hitting a hotkey (in my case ralt + i) to iconify a window, but the term "iconify" is kinda misleading here. It actually creates a small piece of workbench window titlebar with a close gadget (that's optional) which can be moved around the desktop as if it were a workbench window, thus eating as much space as an icon, while having the flexibility of a window. It even has an option to lock its position and to uniconify all iconified windows. I hope I explained it well, if not, I'll make an image and upload it somewhere. It's good to see that we'll get gadgets on <16bit screens with afaos!

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
@wawrzon

I've disabled the iconify gadget in PW already, but the hotkey won't work either, that's the problem. What stops PW iconify function from working, I don't have, as I said, the gadget enabled.

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
@bernd_afa

What can I say? Here it works if I disable Afa and stops working after booting with Afa. Puzzling, isn't it? I actually run PW long after Afa, a few lines after LoadWB, whereas Afa is long before LoadWB is executed.

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »
That's good news actually :) Thx, I'll try it with the earlier version.

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »
@brnd_afa

no I don't have this :/ I'll try what you suggested tomorrow, with default settings and I'll tell you how it went. Thx for your help man :)

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:52:27 AM »
@gulliver

Finally! Contextmenus worked with the older popupmenu.library. Thanks dude!

@bernd_afa

It worked after I enabled PW to display the igadget. I prefered to not have an igadget and iconify windows just with the hotkey. After I enabled the igadget the hotkey works again and the igadget is displayed ok (Visual Prefs mode). Only problem is that now on MUI windows I have 2 igadgets that function differently, but it's not a big deal, it works and it's ok. So, in short, that was the problem: When AFA is loaded and PW have the iconify gadget disabled, the windows won't iconify just with the hotkey. Thank you for helping me to sort this out!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:56:41 AM by Vulture »

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:22:37 AM »
@bernd

I'll check it out and give you details as soon as I get home. Will it help to make a def_powerwindows.info like KingCon or is it not needed?

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 07:22:17 AM »
@bernd_afa

If I disable afa and disable the PW igadget from being displayed I can still iconify the windows here , I'm on 3.9bb2. I'll pm you with a link to my PW prefs file to take a look if you wish.

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »
@bernd_afa

well, you were right and I'm sorry for putting you into needless trouble. What I did wrong is I confused "don't put icon at workbench windows" with "add i-gadget to windows" options and thus I thought that afa_os prevented it as incidentally I tried a non wb window while booting without afa_os....again sorry for the trouble and thanks for your help. One last thing, after enabling properly PW i-gadget, afa_os patches windows that it didn't patch before, ie IBrowse and Yam startup splash windows and they look a bit weird. Can there be a work around that?
Also, I saw at your screenshot above that you have iconified your window with PW and it has a nice mac-like skin a la visualprefs. How did you do that? I mean, I've seen in the afa_os guide how to switch between afa_os and visualprefs, but do you run them in parallel somehow? Any hint about that?
Again , many thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:48:26 PM by Vulture »

Offline Vulture

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
@bernd_afa

>ie IBrowse and Yam startup splash windows and they look a bit weird

>they look same as AOS, the windows are not skin, because only windows with a big title border are support, mean window need dragable.

No, it's the opposite. What I mean is that after PW works afa_os does try to skin these windows while it shouldn't. Maybe because PW forces them with its igadget. See here:

It's not important though....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:15:34 PM by Vulture »