Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How did the Amiga fare in Australia?  (Read 5566 times)

Description:

Offline snoopy88

• Show all replies
Re: How did the Amiga fare in Australia?
« on: November 29, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »
A bit late to this thread but thought I'd share how I saw it,

A500 was huge here, the typical shopping centre computer stores had pretty big shelf of software. Having said that not as big a the 64 but still very well known. The images of games in magazine and on the back of bees were absolute wow. When the A500 was at its peak it was mostly 286 pcs with EGA graphics, the A500 was less than half the price.

I bought my A500 for $749 AUD around late 1990.

A600 was seen as complete mess, offering nothing much new 4-5 years after the A500. Actually at that time it was seen as a inferior to the A500. Should never have been released even though it is not a bad machine for upgrading today. It was in stores but I don't think it sold well.

When the A1200 came out (would have been around Dec 1992) I decided it time to upgrade. Rang the dealer and they quoted me $1499 AUD for a 1200HD/40 (no monitor). I was pretty surprised at the price as the machine in the UK was priced not far off where the A500 used to be. These are supposed to be budget machines which Commodore Australia now wanted big money for.

After thinking about it for a while I started look at PC's and eventually bought a 486sx-25/80mb/4mb/SVGA with monitor for $1950. I think those numbers would have told the story for a lot of people. By 1992 the machine commodore released was was probably perceived as comparable to a 386sx but in a small case, at a 486sx price. Someone was definitely pocketing $300-$400 extra on Australian machines compared to other markets.

So I never actually saw a 1200 in Australia (until I bought one in 2013). I don't think the mainstream stores had too many mainly due to pricing.