Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga doorstop!!!  (Read 3086 times)

Description:

Offline swift240Topic starter

• Show all replies
Amiga doorstop!!!
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:38:19 PM »
I was talking to an old friend the other day, and he told me all about his PC and how good it was (bragging)
He asked me what I had.
I told him an Athlon with DVD burner and other bits and pieces to go with it.
He was good with that, then I told him I also have an Amiga.
He laughed and said "ohhh a bloody 500 I suppose, a bloody door stop if you ask me"
So I told him it was a 1200 in a Powertower, he didnt know what I was talking about, then proceeded to tell me that you cant put any Amiga in a tower case as the tower cases are all built to PC`s.
So I carried on telling him about the Mediator and Accelerator .
He laughed and said I was {bleep}ting him.
So I invited him back home and showed him my setup.
He stood there I let him play around with it like Finalwriter 97, Pagestream 3.0, AmiCad.
Ohhh yes and a few games.
He said, "crap I never thought the Amiga was that good."
"It looks good in the tower, and I love the Mediator to"
He also loved AmosPro.
Now he is seriously looking at the Amiga range of computers.
I showed him Aminet and he said there is a lot for the Amiga he could not belive it.
I also showed him Jabberwocky and other Internet stuff, SimpleMail Newscoaster, Yam.
I then burnt a CD using CDburner, that really impressed him.
Showed him I had a 13gig HD, but I can use over 40Gig, Zip drives. told him about the PCMCIA the Amiga has and its uses.  And USB with PCI card as in any PC.  It can use wireless mouse and keyboard.
He left later on the afternoon with a far differant outlook as he had before.
He admitted that the Amiga was a good machine and he wont take the piss again.
I told him that the Amiga is not what some people think it is, and it certainly is not a door stop.
He finally said "Yes Ok, the Amiga you have got is no door stop, I must admit its not bad at all.
I didn`t have time to show him AmiKit on my Athlon but I told him about it and the website.
I love it when these people claim the Amiga is nothing better than a door stop then you show them what it can do.

It soon shut him up, I cant wait until he gets a door stop ohhhhh sorry I mean an Amiga.

:-)  :-)
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga doorstop!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:53:02 PM »
Yes I was fair in telling him it cant play any kind of DVD film in its present state.
But then again he knew that as I told him my CPU was an 030 at 40Mhz.
He knew the limitations of my Amiga but was also ready to admit for what it was, it was very good at what it done and was faster than he actually thought it was going to be.

He was also impressed with my Powertower how it was made.
Yes I did tell him they are costly but then again any thing for the Amiga will be costly in some areas, as its Amiga then we feel obliged to be ripped off.

The prices we get charged for, we pay or we don`t thats the down side of the Amiga, lets rip the B****** off if they want it then they will pay for it.
Sorry but thats how I see it. No one can tel me a Powertower or D-Box is worth that amount of money, mostly its the back steel panel that is not the same as an ATX type so because of that we have to pay a huge amount of money in order to get it.

Some one must be racking in a small fortune, and its not me.
But at the end of the day I consider the Amiga worth it.
You know what they say, "you want it then you will pay for it" And they bloody well know it.

Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:34:05 PM »
Yes some times you cant win.
I some times wander why I bother.
How on earth can any one expect an Amiga with an 030/40 CPU to do what a modern day PC can.

Its so blatantly obvious it cant, but I suppose it has to be explained in a negative way that an Amiga cant do these things.

I should have put down all the things the Amiga cant do, that would have been more acceptable.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:56:17 PM »
@guru-666
What do you mean how much did it COST?
Well the LiteOn CD burner cost me the same amount as you would pay out for a LiteOn CD burner for a PC.
I paid £15.00 for it NEW in the box.
The software I used was MakeCD cost FREE with serial number.

The CD`s I used was no more than the normal cost of blank CD`s
So are you are talking like it COST a great deal to buy the CD burner and software?

Tell you what why don`t we all slag the Amiga off and say how it cant do this, how it cant do that, and lets not forget how COSTLY it is.
I have 2 CD drives in my Tower and they both cost the SAME as for a PC as they did for the Amiga.
I have 2 HD`s in my Amiga they both cost the same as if they was for a PC as they was for the Amiga.

I use a 17" monitor and that cost the same for a PC as it did for the Amiga.

In actual fact this is how much I paid for each:-

1 LiteOn CD burner £15.00
1 52x CD rom 7.50
1 13Gig HD £4.00 eBay
1 10Gig HD £3.99 eBay
1 Powertower case WITH 1200 mobo internal flopy drive, and PSU, with 2 HD slide in bays all for £77.99
1 Mediator SX 6 slot £169.99
1 Amiga SpeedMouse £3.00
1 PC keyboard £4.00
1 PC keyboard adapter £14.99 eBay
1 4way IDe`99 HD adapter £19.99
1 Apollo Turbo MK-iii accelerator 030/40 £34.99 eBay
1 32meg Ram 72pin £1.00 eBay
Now remember the Powertower came with that lot on board.
So break that down and think of the money if they was all separate.

Ohhh yes the OS3.9 CD was 29.99 can you pay that much for a LEGAL OS for any PC? Like Winodws 2000, Windows XP Home Edition or XP Pro?

Meaning OS for OS between the Amiga and a PC?

No of course the Amiga CAN NOT play DVD films or HD (High Definition)
But then again any one knowing that an 68030/40Mhz cant do that will already know that.

What do you really expect ?
An Amiga 1200 to play DVD and HD? or to use 3D like a modern day powerful PC?
We all if not most of us already know that a an Amiga CANT, thats why most of us have PC`s to do that job.
Well I use my Athlon to do that sort of thing, and I use my Amiga for all other stuff as I like it that way.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
@stopthegop

I had a few 486`s in my time, and to be honest I had more problems with those than I ever did with any Amiga.

The best one was a DX486/100 that was not to bad at all, but all the same it did give me problems, but as with my A600 (way back then) I had no problems what so ever, that A600 with 1Meg of extra ram was far more stable and far more reliable than any 486 or Pentium 233 of the time.