Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga doorstop!!!  (Read 3079 times)

Description:

Offline swift240Topic starter

• Show only replies by swift240
Amiga doorstop!!!
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:38:19 PM »
I was talking to an old friend the other day, and he told me all about his PC and how good it was (bragging)
He asked me what I had.
I told him an Athlon with DVD burner and other bits and pieces to go with it.
He was good with that, then I told him I also have an Amiga.
He laughed and said "ohhh a bloody 500 I suppose, a bloody door stop if you ask me"
So I told him it was a 1200 in a Powertower, he didnt know what I was talking about, then proceeded to tell me that you cant put any Amiga in a tower case as the tower cases are all built to PC`s.
So I carried on telling him about the Mediator and Accelerator .
He laughed and said I was {bleep}ting him.
So I invited him back home and showed him my setup.
He stood there I let him play around with it like Finalwriter 97, Pagestream 3.0, AmiCad.
Ohhh yes and a few games.
He said, "crap I never thought the Amiga was that good."
"It looks good in the tower, and I love the Mediator to"
He also loved AmosPro.
Now he is seriously looking at the Amiga range of computers.
I showed him Aminet and he said there is a lot for the Amiga he could not belive it.
I also showed him Jabberwocky and other Internet stuff, SimpleMail Newscoaster, Yam.
I then burnt a CD using CDburner, that really impressed him.
Showed him I had a 13gig HD, but I can use over 40Gig, Zip drives. told him about the PCMCIA the Amiga has and its uses.  And USB with PCI card as in any PC.  It can use wireless mouse and keyboard.
He left later on the afternoon with a far differant outlook as he had before.
He admitted that the Amiga was a good machine and he wont take the piss again.
I told him that the Amiga is not what some people think it is, and it certainly is not a door stop.
He finally said "Yes Ok, the Amiga you have got is no door stop, I must admit its not bad at all.
I didn`t have time to show him AmiKit on my Athlon but I told him about it and the website.
I love it when these people claim the Amiga is nothing better than a door stop then you show them what it can do.

It soon shut him up, I cant wait until he gets a door stop ohhhhh sorry I mean an Amiga.

:-)  :-)
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline Steady

Re: Amiga doorstop!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:19:20 PM »
Good 1 Swift240...

I guess actions really do speak louder than words!

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »
I assume you forgot to mention that your "power tower" is more expencive that the blazing PC he had built.  I guess you also did not point out that you can't playback HD res video or do anything serious in 3d. He would be lucky to get all the gear in  years time and then i'm not sure it would be reliable.  Anyway I have never seen a homemade tower that was not falling apart or that looked better the what commodore shipped.  Nothing is more confusing that half the truth.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:53:02 PM »
Yes I was fair in telling him it cant play any kind of DVD film in its present state.
But then again he knew that as I told him my CPU was an 030 at 40Mhz.
He knew the limitations of my Amiga but was also ready to admit for what it was, it was very good at what it done and was faster than he actually thought it was going to be.

He was also impressed with my Powertower how it was made.
Yes I did tell him they are costly but then again any thing for the Amiga will be costly in some areas, as its Amiga then we feel obliged to be ripped off.

The prices we get charged for, we pay or we don`t thats the down side of the Amiga, lets rip the B****** off if they want it then they will pay for it.
Sorry but thats how I see it. No one can tel me a Powertower or D-Box is worth that amount of money, mostly its the back steel panel that is not the same as an ATX type so because of that we have to pay a huge amount of money in order to get it.

Some one must be racking in a small fortune, and its not me.
But at the end of the day I consider the Amiga worth it.
You know what they say, "you want it then you will pay for it" And they bloody well know it.

Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
swift240 let the loser brainfarting... tell your friend to enjoy these also:

ProStationAudio under AmigaOS3.x

Amigift 2.0 on AmigaOS3.x

If you wanna take a look at Amigift 2.0 under MOS for PowerUP, let me know.

ah, btw... it works now even under AmigaOS4 :)

Offline amiga92570

• Show only replies by amiga92570
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »
Expensive yes! But, as far as reliability goes I Have two D-box towers with mediator sx and Fast ATA 1200. The only problem I have had with them since I assembled them over two years ago is one failed floppy drive. Also, the D-box is no Alien tower but I think it looks nice. I also have dual Xeon workstations I use for Business. I do not even compare the two as for speed there is no camparison. When I want to use amiga stuff on my free time I use my Amigas, when I do my work stuff its on the intel. I do wish I had more free time.
Amiga92570
==========================
(1) 4000T/040 (2)3000t CS 060/233ppc Picasso IV video, (2)D-box 1200 blizzard 060/200ppc Mediator fastATA, (1)amiga 1200 Power tower, (1)amiga 1200 EZ tower with mediator,1200/030/50mhz, (3) amiga 500 with CSA Mega Midget Racer and Trump card AT, (2) amiga 600 one with M-tec 030, (3) CD32 one sx32, two sx32-pro, More accessories and parts than I want to admit to

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:24:07 PM »
Wow the revolution is comming!!!  :lol:
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:54:49 PM »
Excellent  :lol:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline spirantho

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »

guru-666 wrote:
I assume you forgot to mention that your "power tower" is more expencive that the blazing PC he had built.

He may also have forgotten to mention that his power tower will be worth a lot more in some years' time than his blazing PC will be.....

(compare the prices of a 10 or 15 year old Amiga hardware on eBay now with the prices of similar PC hardware).

--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Homer

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 07:18:13 PM »
Yup, good point that. Todays blazing PC is tomorrows blazing bonfire  :lol:
Out of all the computers I have here, the Amiga A1200t is easily the oldest, as all the pc's of that era are long gone  :crazy:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 08:06:13 PM »
@guru666

So, someone posts about a positive Amiga advocacy experience and you go and tell him how it should have been more negative and that Amiga's really do just suck anyway so he shouldn't have even bothered? Nice.  :roll:
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:34:05 PM »
Yes some times you cant win.
I some times wander why I bother.
How on earth can any one expect an Amiga with an 030/40 CPU to do what a modern day PC can.

Its so blatantly obvious it cant, but I suppose it has to be explained in a negative way that an Amiga cant do these things.

I should have put down all the things the Amiga cant do, that would have been more acceptable.

Offline Homer

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:26:11 PM »
Group hug everyone  :-?
Don't forget that Guru-666 plays the devils advocate in these matters  :python:
Lets all go and have a :pint:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »
Good job Swift240,

That is the kind of Amiga experience I want to hear about.

I have no misguided visions of Amiga rising and taking over the world of computing some day, but I love to hear about people that still use their Amigas daily and have them set up to still be useful.  Your setup sounds like a good one and you know how to use it.

I am not familiar with AmiCAD can you tell me more about it?  I will have to google it or search on AmiNet for it.

@guru-666,

Get up on the wrong side of the bed today?  Why blast Swift240 for what good he did?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 09:51:51 PM »
Hi

Well done....

What you demonstrated is that anyone, I mean anyone can own a PC, but only a select determined, dedicated and very lucky few can own the kind of kit you have.

A magical story, and one I could read over and over again.

scuzz
http://www.commodore-amiga-retro.com