Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Arcade (action) games with keyboard controls  (Read 2326 times)

Description:

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
Re: Arcade (action) games with keyboard controls
« on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;718766
I think back in those days everyone just assumed that all QWERTY keyboards were the same.  There was no internet.

Back then I just assumed that all keyboards had the same keys in the same place.

I have no idea why France and Germany each moved letters around.  They each use the same letters, they just randomly swapped some keys around.  Who decides this stuff?  It makes keyboards cost a lot more money than they should.

The German language has more words with Z than Y in it, that's why they're using QWERTZ rather than QWERTY (apparently, for some it's easier to write that way).

Strangely, I feel way more comfortable writing English on a QWERTZ keyboard while German is a pain on anything else than a QWERTY keyboard.
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:28:02 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;718778
Magyarian has a lot of Zs too.  I wonder if they use QWERTZ?

What's Magyarian? Do you mean Hungarian? I assume Magyarians were some sort of nomad people living in the area that is modern Hungary?

Anyways. Many eastern-European countries using the Latin alphabet utilize QWERTZ keyboards.

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;718784
Hungarian = Magyar

I dream of a world where we all use COLEMAK layout.

Wow.

What a bloody mess

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;718787
Colemak is designed so that the most frequent letters are the easiest to type.

And it leaves several letters right where they have always been in QWERTY so its way easier to learn than Dvorak.  Dvorak completely rearranges everything.

Colemak is friendly because it leaves zxcv where they have always been so that your cut/copy/paste shortcuts still work as always.

If u r one of those ppl looking to increase typing speed and avoid RSI, Tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome etc. then it is great and a lot of ppl use it.

More and more keyboards are coming out that have built in support for Colemak that way u can use Colemak even on some weird computer that does not let you adjust your keyboard layout.

I'm in tooooo much pain to learn a new layout.  But if I was going to learn a new layout I would NOT do Dvorak.  I would use Colemak.

Yea. But why would they place the P and the F so close together? It just doesn't make sense. I don't think I could write one clear sentence when some of the most commonly used letters are so close together. The Y also seems weirdly placed. I don't really feel comfortable hitting it with any other finger but my middle one (which I can comfortably do on the QWERTZ layout I'm using for all my English typing needs).

As for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
I'm a programmer by trade and have yet to suffer it.

IMHO, the solution isn't a new layout but a new typing technique.
Upon close examination, my typing technique could be called "8 fingers" and is pretty comfortable (pretty efficient as well, since I can type a total of 500 character/minute just fine.)