Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore trademark has a new daddy  (Read 24258 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Commodore trademark has a new daddy
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »
They are still under the impression they can throw a bunch of workstation components in a case that any other company would charge $4,000 for and by virtue of the Amiga name, slap a $5,000 premium on it because it has the Amiga name on it.  The Amiga name has no value to people using commodity high end workstations, sorry - much less the hysterical thought of said workstation PC's coming with Commodore OS, LOL.  The Toaster days are long gone, sorry.

They can't, much less in a HTPC case like they had mocked up, lol.  I'm not sure if they put much thought into how that HTPC case would become a microwave over with a couple CPU's and Quadro cards in it, not that they would fit anyways.

Personally, I'll wait for my Amiga boing ball branded bathroom fixtures.  That's where the big cash cow lies, boys.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:35:26 AM »
I am anti censorship, here and elsewhere - and that applies to C-USA as well.  I am also likely one of the most vocal of what they call "haters" in their terms.  Guys that point blank ask questions, virtually 100% of them have gone entirely unanswered.  Some of said questions asked or other criticisms, we got threatened via PM's for our troubles.  PM's were reported to mods here, did nothing at all.  The vehemence your "cause" gets on virtually all independent fan followed Amiga sites is well earned due to your treatment of the community.  Atrocious personal behavior, and that's not even scratching at the business/PR aspects.  "Insult them, ignore or threaten them if they ask questions - that will make them buy!!!11!!!!" is not working.  Be civil, sane - or go away, before even more people take it upon themselves to leave this place for elsewhere.  I have no rooted dislike of C-USA themselves, and they deserve to post relevant news here like anyone else.  I am against elitist and insulting, disruptive fanboys being ignorant to anyone that doesn't agree with them and their Holy Aura view of "The Company" here, though.

I an open to anyone posting newsworthy "news" here, and I am not damning C-USA as a whole for the spam.  When they re invent the wheel, I'll be the first one here gladly reading about the innovations they are marketing.  It's supposed to be big, you know!  

It's one, maybe 2 at best - of their fanboys that seems to think that every time "The Company" squeaks out a muffled fart, we're "saved".  

Dammy is the worst of the worst for this, and he is driving people away knowingly from A.org, pushing an agenda - using an inflammatory tone almost always in his posts.  10,000 time worse than anything Franko ever spewed - at least he was a helpful, knowledgeable type of troll at ground level, old Franko.   Yes, people are beginning to avoid this place outright because he (Dammy) has gone unchecked in his passing opinions off as "fact", only to counter with complete hostility if you pose polite questions.  Should you counter his opinion in a civil manner, you are either insulted or your valid questions are ignored.  If you are going to cram views down throats Dammy, answer questions - you are doing so much PR harm to the company you are going to bat for it is simply hysterical.  Contributing nothing to the real Amiga community other than elitism and flames via agendas.  Dammy, if I was Leo or Barry, I'd pay you to never utter the words "Commodore USA" again on any forums, lol.  No skin off me, I can follow other sites that don't essentially encourage abuse, free advertising in the guise of "news".  Money I'll save in the end by not donating to the "Kitty" to listen to weird infighting based on personal agendas on A.org.

Said it a few years ago when I saw the start of this mess - their products are not for me.  I'm fine with that.  I am also fine with the fact that if they have open season to praise said products here via non news "news" spamming, the community should be able to ask questions and have them answered.  You know, like a real adult style conversation rather than just Dammy not liking what he hears and calling everyone ****heads.

And while they continue to forcefeed you their products here for free, I might as well indulge them and you guys can take a look at their 2 adverts from their $30 million ad budget/ad agency.  It's almost like I've seen ads like that before...  Yeah, I did.  Apple.  1988.

http://www.koreykay.com/BandB/Zb_savin.html
http://www.koreykay.com/BandB/comm2.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:12:18 AM by Duce »

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:15:48 AM »
Dave, with all due respect - your "point 2" on your post that people not warming up to Commodore USA is part of the problem is just silly.  C-USA is a non-player in the market.  Love them or hate them, they are not doing jack for Amiga at the moment.  "Acceptance of new ideas" is one thing - but Dave, they sell commodity hardware running Linux.  If you or anyone else wish to dub COS Vision and Atom boards as the best things ever, fine - but it's Linux and x86, Man.  And PC components in custom cases.  There is no "new idea" to accept from them with what they have on the table and how it affects "Amiga" atm, sorry.  If you like retro cases running PC guts, visit their website and pick up one of their systems - but it isn't an Amiga, nor is it even a C64.  It's a commodity x86 PC, same thing I am typing this post on right now.  

Saying the lack of acceptance of C-USA's media blitz and how differences of opinions are cancerous to the scene, and how the Amiga community has not embraced C-USA is somehow hurting the Amiga scene is preposterous.  If you are of the ilk that will say that they shouldn't be questioned based on past actions when they bring offers and challenges to the table for the community, that such questions shouldn't be asked, that we should just file in and fire off $500 each, we're really on different planets here.

As for point 4, you call it infighting - I call it spirited debate.  I don't agree with you, you might not agree with me.  It's the internet.  Anything you or anyone else says on forums has zero bearing on how much I enjoy my Amiga IRL.  I'm a big boy, I can handle it without screaming for more moderation and claiming the world is falling apart because we can't all agree.  The internet isn't "serious business requiring order and control", and opinions don't mean a darned thing as to how a guy enjoys his hobby.  Questions can be asked, debates can be had, all in a civil fashion.

They are a commodity PC vendor selling Linux based systems in custom cases, and aren't billing themselves as anything else.  How they apply to anything "Amiga" at this point is beyond me.  How C-USA offers anything to this guy that is complaining about being forced to now code for commodity/Windows boxes while he'd rather be coding for Amiga/Commodore is also beyond me.  He has more choices of Amiga flavors than he ever had in the C= days - Morph, OS4, AROS, or even legacy via old HW or UAE/Amithlon.  MorphOS being dirt cheap to get into, and AROS and UAE solutions being free or next to free.

As for the original poster of that list, there's still plenty of life left in the Amiga, whichever route you go (OS4, MOS, AROS, Legacy), but it's never going to be anything more than a hobbyist platform.  Once again, I'll give props to the guys doing the Natami, FPGA solutions, and the good folks behind things like UAE and Amikit.  Guys out there getting their hands dirty for little or no profit.

PS:  Weren't you the guy called out for being abhorrently hostile towards everyone when some Amiga event IRL in your area didn't turn out as expected, you essentially calling the community useless?  Please correct me if I am wrong.  

EDIT:  Yeah, you are - sorry I bothered.  Same guy that played Security Force and venturing into weird stalker territory to a bunch of people openly discussing copyright means, and berating people for choosing to keep their day jobs and feeding their kids vs. going to conventions for a computer that was last made in the 90's.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=666859#post666859
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59513
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:28:40 AM by Duce »

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:48:25 AM »
Most depressing thing about this whole mess is none of it is surprising in the least.

I can't think of a time when the whole Commodore/Amiga show wasn't an unmitigated gong show.  Seems it's always been like watching a wreck in progress, lol.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »
A mini ITX LAN party type case won't house any workstation grade mobo or workstation gfx card solution, and neither will an off the shelf HTPC case.  Nice build, those pics - but apples and oranges.  Isn't a workstation system around running Mini ITX boards and gamer grade video cards.  I love my LAN gaming rig, but it's insane to say I could throw workstation grade components in that case.

There's a big difference between a lanparty type gamer case like the one pictured, and "workstation spec" builds.  If you find a way to cram a dual Xeon eATX mobo, multiple drives in RAID, 2 power supplies (1 redundant), and a Quadro or two into a consumer grade case like that, I'd be very interested to see the build.  It's like stuffing a marshmallow into a parking meter.  The 570 has that thing crammed right full, and the 570 isn't that big of a card, the 590 (the cards I own) are 2 inches longer and aren't even workstation cards.

You simply are not going to cram a server grade mobo (eATX, quite often) and other commonplace workstation components into a case meant to be portable (gaming PC) or one that is designed to live in the footprint as a DVD player (HTPC) and have it work, lol.  There's not a workstation grade Mini ITX board around.

Can't put 20 pounds of horseplop in a 5 pound bag.  You can't park a '59 Caddy Hearse in the parking spot meant for a Fiat 500.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
After re-reading a chunk of the pdf, curious why the C-USA fanboys are all giddy with delight.  I always assumed the rights were legal, in Commodore USA usage - if they happened to get screwed in the legal proceedings, I won't exactly lose any sleep, however.  Honestly I never cared about the legal aspect of the "brand".   I mean, if I buy a C64x or a VIC system from C-USA, it's got the Commodore name on it, and I'm not going to be too worked up how said name got there if it's a good system and I assume it's a "Commodore".  Said name doesn't mean a darned thing to me these days.  Nothing they offer will revolutionize modern computing, we're too deep in the "PC is an appliance" era of computing for that on a mainstream level.  Apple isn't shaking in their boots, worrying that the "new Amiga" will ruin their video editing loyalists customers, lol.  C= and Amiga aren't even a blip on the radar in the mainstream, and never will be again.  Fighting over these brand names, to me - is the equivalent of hobos fighting over bare chickenwing bones in a Hooters dumpster, but perhaps I just don't see the "big payoff" aspect.

I mean, it's 2012 - they are making commodity PC's in retro form factors under an old school name, which is totally fine by me - but if Jesus himself gave them the sole rights to the Commodore name worldwide, what the hell difference does it make?  The days of the C64 are over.  The glory of the Amiga was over nearly 20 years ago, sorry - I'm really not sure what any of the various corpse sitters in regards to trademarks and branding are going to do to bring back former glory to "our beloved brand".  

What am I missing here that has the ardent supporters of C-USA so giddy?  Seriously, I'd like to know.  I just see another clusterf*ck of legal paperwork - unless there's some valuable patents I am not aware of, I just don't get it.  If there are valuable patents - whoever gets the rights to them better have deep pockets  :)

Not a slam against C-USA in the least, just curious for some clarification why a group of people would be seeing yet another gong show of legalese pdf's and international court proceedings as a positive thing.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »
If they are banking on yet another video codec, good luck.  Not sure why they would figure that would re-invent the world, if that is their ace in the hole.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
If the codec tech was that hot ****e, there would (and will) be bigger guns on it like stink on a monkey long before the small fry heard about it.

You don't really think a company like Google, MS or Apple wouldn't snap up a revolutionary technology without saying a word for either patents or further development, do you?  Long before a furniture vendor in Florida would have, the big sharks would have been all over it if it was worthwhile and not a complete clusterf*ck of legality.

Nah, they've only done it hundreds upon hundreds of times, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Google
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Microsoft