Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore trademark has a new daddy  (Read 24241 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Commodore trademark has a new daddy
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Oh, huzzah, now the PC clones can have stickers on them without paying a licensing fee. HUZZAH, I SAY.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
Quote from: dammy;673808
until they too can accept the futility of hating the inevitable.
When the thing in question is the success/continued existence of a company that has spent nearly its entire existence not simply ignoring, but harassing and belittling the only people who might ever have been interested in it (despite repeated claims that that's "not the target market," followed by attempts to re-court the community,) I'd hardly call it "inevitable." "Improbable," more like.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:42:20 AM »
Quote from: koaftder;673859
Looks like making j-golden a moderator was a mistake.
I note that you only complain when it's a CUSA zealot getting reprimanded... J-Golden has been a mod for how long, and you're only just griping now? Figures.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 05:36:37 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;673865
It has been proven more than once in the past with polls here that the majority of members that bothered to vote here still want to see news (legitimate news) from CUSA posted on this site.
As one of the voters thereon, I'd like to note that there's a big difference between not thinking that a blanket ban on CUSA discussion is a good idea and wanting people to keep copypasting every decree issued forth from Barry's keyboard.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;673902
I agreee... If the rumors that they have also bought amiga.org are true... Myself and most others will be leaving for amigaworld or other options leaving this place to be an internet ghosttown.
Wait, wait, is that what this was about? Because if that turns out to be true, you bet your life I'm leaving this place.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »
Quote from: dammy;674009
Then do as you wish, I don't have a pony in that race.   That would be up to C=USA and it's legal department to deal with and I'm pretty confident C=USA won't give an inch with out a court battle.  You want to risk that, fine by me, Wal-Mart has tons of popcorn on the shelves.
Oh yes, tremble before big bad Barry! He'll destroy us, man, like Stone Cold Steve Austin in a court of law-wrestling defending that unregistered trademark!

Wal-Mart popcorn = what Barry can afford after spending $30 mil advertising and God knows how much development/manufacturing funds on something like twelve people bought.

(P.S. Quick, someone make a series of checkmark shirts on Cafepress and then register the trademark based on that.)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
Hah, nice. Good to know that some people in the tech press still know how to spot a poser ;D

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:42:23 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;674403
Most of these so-called horrific actions that have heretofore been "commited" by CUSA any moderate person would chalk up to mistakes, foolishness or simple human failings... But not CUSA, no, Barry is far worse than Hitler, Stalin and Mao Tse Tung combined! :rolleyes:
Look, I'll agree with the premise that some of the CUSA haters overstate the case. But it's not as though there aren't grounds for grievance. The whole ideological issue of putting PC clone parts in a reproduction case and selling it as the same thing (oh, sorry, the same thingx) or a successor to/revival of is a touchy subject to begin with, and the fact that the company's response, as expressed by both its key members, is "you're stupid for disagreeing, also I'm going to call you a loser for even caring, now kiss my feet, peons" didn't help things one bit.

And add to that the generally lackluster design and ridiculous pricing of the actual product, and a whole host of claims by the company that turned out to either be exaggerated or wholly false but have been consistently ignored in discussion with company representatives...this might be "human failings" in a dictionary-definition sense, but unless you have some plan for replacing Barry and his underlings with robots, human failings = failings in a company made up of humans. It's not just some little handful of foibles, it raises some pretty serious questions about the company as a whole.

Why? Because Dammy doesn't agree with the haters?
No, because he's being (diplomatically speaking) a smarmy, obnoxious twit about it. That is, admittedly, a subjective judgement, but subjective judgement is exactly what mods are for, otherwise you could run a forum based on a set of sophisticated word filters. Lots of forums allow moderators to hand out cooldown temp-bans when a member is being annoying but not warranting a more serious mod action.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:46:53 AM by commodorejohn »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
Okay, what the hell is up with Transition bumping topics for no reason? Seriously, what?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
*glances over document*

...uh, could someone remind me who's blaming whom for what, again? This stuff is hard enough to keep track of without being buried in legalese...