Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NetSurf 3.11 BETA for OS3  (Read 3106 times)

Description:

Offline chrisTopic starter

NetSurf 3.11 BETA for OS3
« on: January 06, 2024, 02:25:50 PM »
With the new release of NetSurf I've updated the OS3 beta here:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/netsurf_os3
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

The following users thanked this post: Boing-ball

Re: NetSurf 3.11 BETA for OS3
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 11:57:36 PM »
Which OS version are you using?
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 01:19:35 PM »
So downloaded and installed to my following setup:

A4000D, Prometheus Firebird, Voodoo3 3000, 16Mb FastRAm, Cyberstorm 060/PPPC + 128MB @60mhz.

RTG with P96 3.4.0 (Individual Computers), MMUlibs (Latest 46.7), 1360x768 Screenmode.

Installed. Executed ICON. Started up, then attempted to type a UrL and crash out with Guru #80000003. Suspend or reboot. Locked up.

Can you ensure you have AmiSSL 5.13 installed?  When I had a slightly older version even though it should have worked it crashed as per above.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 04:05:47 PM »
OK, I probably need a log from both of you.
netsurf -v >ram:ns.log

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 09:27:06 PM »
Hmm, that's stopping at the same place the AmiSSL 5.13 problem was stopping at. You're definitely on that version?

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 01:30:22 PM »
Cool.  Those errors are from the backing store which doesn't work properly on OS3.  You can disable it in Choices but I don't remember the exact option name.  Something like fs_backing_store:0

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 11:45:58 PM »
Do they disappear if you toggle bitmap fonts off in Prefs? I know the bitmap fonts code is a bit buggy and sometimes breaks layouting.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 10:52:39 PM »
But the layout errors have gone? So those are likely because the bitmap font implementation has bugs.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 06:32:37 PM »
A lot has changed in seven years...

I couldn't even work out back then why it had slowed down so much.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 04:47:24 PM »
Fonts are like that, because a bitmap fonts code is broken. You need to disable them and font are displayed again.

Menus has problems too.

I have to say I'm not seeing either of these issues here.  AmigaOS 3.2.2.1 with whatever the free version of P96 is.

The only issue with bitmap fonts which I can't figure out how to fix currently, is that the carat displays at the end of a string when it is moved to the beginning.  There's also a bit of a weird overlap/short string issue with the menu items on the welcome page, which only seems to occur on that page.

There is an issue with outline fonts where the spacing is wrong, which I've attempted to fix and can't fathom out either. (the font/text code is cursed, and I hate changing it as it tends to break further)

I'm not sure what's going on with the menus.

Of course, patches are welcome if you have fixes.