Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lyle Hazelwood was WRONG  (Read 3332 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Lyle Hazelwood was WRONG
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 30, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;769953
@ amigadave

My X1000 has a newer/better video card in it then my 3 year old PC. Yes I know we don't have full 3D to get the cards full benefit YET but we'll get there.

My X1000 has 4GB of ram and my 3 year old PC has 2GB. Yes I know we can't exactly access the full 4GB of ram YET but we'll get there.

I had to buy office 2013 for work and it's the biggest piece of buggy crap ever! Yes even the thousands of developers working on it & still headaches and down time messing up my time! Worst part is they're not paying me to be a beta tester lol

Really I have used office 2013 a lot and not had any issues.  Same for Office 2010 .  2013 easily best office software I have used by a country mile
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;769913
... how anyone can think that any of the so called "Big Players" would want to "piss on our" anything?
The "Big Players" don't know we exist anymore!

My point is that they "piss on our parade" without knowing it.
(I often unintentionally piss on worms and ants etc... because I had not noticed that they exist on the direction of my pee.... (In the end... I might not care either.))

So ... our own sound chip might act as a raincoat/ubrella against the "accidental" golden shower. ;-)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:39:36 PM by KimmoK »
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline kamelito

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:23 PM »
Quote from: JJ;769954
Really I have used office 2013 a lot and not had any issues.  Same for Office 2010 .  2013 easily best office software I have used by a country mile

It crashed quite often, mostly Excel, if we had access to crash report send to Microsoft I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Kamelito

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
Quote from: JJ;769954

don't even get me started on that mess! constant crashes in Word on my large reports, messing up my formatting big time causing hours and hours of lost bs time ...serves me right as I went against my motto of never buying a new release until a year or three to let the be bugs get figured out.  Instead wasted productive time for BS:rant::rant::rant:

@ Lyle

my friend we all have those 'DH0:'  moments ! (compliments of ddniUK's best avatar):)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »
I was wrong, and I can admit it to the general public.
I gave out bad information, which I truly regret doing, as it may damage my perceived integrity in the future.
I have admittied it and apologized, and I have even invited people to tell me I was wrong if it helps.
But please, PLEASE don't turn this thread into a review of Microsoft products.
Some things are even more offensive than a public apology.
:)

Offline ddniUKTopic starter

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;769971
I was wrong, and I can admit it to the general public.
I gave out bad information, which I truly regret doing, as it may damage my perceived integrity in the future.
I have admittied it and apologized, and I have even invited people to tell me I was wrong if it helps.
But please, PLEASE don't turn this thread into a review of Microsoft products.

:roflmao: :roflmao: you crack me up Lyle!
Your audio work has been awesome! If I could be as productive as you are by being wrong, then I would be wrong all of the time! :laughing:

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;769921
I respectfully disagree.:)

I didn't write my post to offend any users of AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, AROS, or AmigaOS3.x on Classic Amiga hardware, FPGA clones, or modern hardware running emulation.  

I don't follow the PC world closely enough to know what the "latest" graphics cards are, but I think we are a bit closer than a few decades behind.

Sure we can pick certain parts of any Amiga inspired systems and show  how that part is not a decade to 3 decades behind modern computers, but  my comment still applies to overall performance of all of our systems.   Except for AROS & emulation on the latest hardware, the fastest and best overall hardware choices are the  X1000 for AmigaOS4.x and the G5 PowerMac for MorphOS, with new FPGA  based recreations of the Motorola 680x0 and Classic Amiga chipset soon  to be released for people who prefer to run AmigaOS3.x.  I think if I  wanted to waste some time, it would not be too hard to come up with  overall performance benchmarks that would show that the hardware I just  mentioned, which is only able to run on a single core of the dual core systems and without  drivers that take full advantage of currently available HD video cards,  can only be considered equal to mainstream systems that are at least a  decade old, while the Amiga A1000 is about to turn 30 (though I admit it  was far ahead of its time).  My comment was not meant to offend, or disappoint, just a fact of reality, specially when thinking of how any big company in the IT field would perceive any of our best hardware platforms (as a whole, not piece by piece).  I also don't mind that some people choose to have a different perception, or point of view, than mine, when it comes to the hardware and performance we currently enjoy.

I agree that we're not "cutting edge" of the market, but especially considering that we have to write our own drivers, I'm quite impressed with where we are today.

Not bad.. and I don't miss the 23 pin monitor port at all. :)

I am not complaining about where we are today, though I do wish there were some way to speed up development that would close the gap between OUR performance and software availability, compared to users of the three most used operating systems (Windows, MacOSX, & Linux).  At least we have a few people working hard to provide good hardware and some of the software we need, which is far more than any other 30 year old platform that technically died 15 years ago, can say for themselves.  Sure, things could be better, but they also could be so much worse.

I am all FOR celebrating what we do have, instead of complaining about what we don't have yet.  But I also don't sugar coat reality, or try to wear colored glasses when I look at where we currently are, compared to other choices.  I am very thankful that we still have any Amiga inspired choices.  We don't have the hundreds of thousands of users that we once had in the Amiga community, but the people who remain are creating hardware and software still, and that is a great thing.  I can't measure how active our community is at the moment, but it seems to be much better off than it was a few short years ago.:)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 01:27:22 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;769979
I didn't write my post to offend any users of AmigaOS4.x, MorphOS, AROS, or AmigaOS3.x on Classic Amiga hardware, FPGA clones, or modern hardware running emulation.  

I took no offense at all, and hope I didn't offend you either.

... can only be considered equal to mainstream systems that are at least a  decade old,

I agree completely. Any comparison of an Amiga to a mainstream system will favor the mainstream by price, performance, availablility, support, and software available. On that we completely agree.
Unless we reach a market share that would support large batch manufacturing, and a user base big enough to attract manufacturers and programmers, this is not likely to change. I don't expect that to happen.

I, personally, am not terribly interested in programming nor using a Windows platform. A course I once took ended with an introduction to the Win32 API, and if I never see it again I'll be quite grateful.

I suppose the difference between our opinions might relate to the relative comparison. As long as we measure our success by comparing it to the Windows community, (or even the Linux community), we will pale by comparison.
But I meant to compare my current Amiga to any of my previous ones.
I have owned quite a few Amiga1000 machines, often with hand made hardware additions. I owned an A4000 Desktop, that had an 040 installed. And I own a micro-AmigaOne.
My first A1000 was bought used, because I could not afford a new one. It was amazing. The 4000D was a great upgrade in speed, and I loved it too.
The micro was a big change. It was tiny, not terribly stable, and the OS was still in early stages. It certainly had it's flaws, but after using it for six months I sold or gave away all my classic Amigas. After going to AmigaOS there just wasn't much fun in the classics for me.
Then the X1000 was delivered. Yes, it's expensive, but after adjusting for inflation it costs less than the original Amiga1000.

When I sit in front of the X1000, I get a better overall experience compared to any of the Amigas I have owned before. It is faster, it is more capable, the OS is very solid, and the hardware is.. well, it's not a micro. ;)

There will always be "something more" to wait for. whether some driver or some feature in the OS, we will NEVER be complete. and that is a GOOD thing. Because once we are done we risk not growing any more. And that would be the worst possible news.

Just as there will always be something more, there will always be people waiting impatiently for it. Those of us that are still here are ALL passionate about our love for Amiga, either in one or many of its flavors. Without that passion the Amiga flame would have gone out long ago. THe down side of having such a passionate following is.. well. You're a moderator, I don't need to tell you what happens. :)

...  My comment was not meant to offend, or disappoint.

Nor was mine, in any way. You and I have met, and I have a great respect for your work. which could probably be described as "community service". The more folks like you among us, the better off we will all be.

My wife is calling, and I may have exceeded the post length limit.
Goodnight, my friends

Offline klx300r

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 04:56:02 AM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;769971
I was wrong, and I can admit it to the general public...But please, PLEASE don't turn this thread into a review of Microsoft products.

damn Lyle this time you're totally RIGHT:) Please forgive my lapse of good judgement on this thread celebrating your 'mistake' and as a small token of my appreciation for being WRONG I have just sent you a donation :D:drink:

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »
@amiga audio & microsoft etc...

Good to know that now we are unlikely to loose our audio gutu(s) to Microsoft again. ;-)

(previously, IIRC, for example Pars&pipes authors etc. went to M$ and created direct audio for them...)

World is sometimes insane... I have not had windows device at home for 10 years or so. But it seems my main work task currently is windows testing on some HW products... not too rewarding I tell you, but no work lasts forever, so going to try to do my best also with this sh*t.
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline klx300r

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »
Quote from: KimmoK;769989
@amiga audio & microsoft etc...

Good to know that now we are unlikely to lose our audio gutu(s) to Microsoft again. ;-)

(previously, IIRC, for example Pars&pipes authors etc. went to M$ and created direct audio for them...)

Aren't we a lucky bunch :-)