Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 8417 times)

Description:

Offline tribz

• Show only replies by tribz
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
I must be one of those odd people that just puts my phone on silent when I go to bed!

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
Quote from: tribz;696567
I must be one of those odd people that just puts my phone on silent when I go to bed!

Why would anyone do that. Isn't it simpler to turn it off. Saves batterys life also.

Offline tribz

• Show only replies by tribz
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
In case of an emergancy, do I want to wait 1 minute for it to boot up or just be able to dial a number straight away.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
Metro seems to be aimed at ARM tablets which are cheaper to produce and run longer.  My friends inside M$ hint at a tablet version of Office, like Apple do with iWork, that is both ARM and X86. Metro is processor independent, why would you even think of running a desktop application on a tablet or heaven forfend, a phone?

Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;696493
I wonder if there will be x86 smartphones running the desktop Win 8 version?

That would get my juices running. Thanks to the dual GUIs, one could use it as both a smartphone or hook it up to an external monitor and keyboard and pretty much run anything you want.

With Intel Medfield being very competitive with A9 Cortex I question the need for an ARM Win 8 version. What's the point, really... even if you could theorize and say that an ARM powered tablet could be cheaper, I don't think it will be cheap enough when you factor in the fact there wont be much software to run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
Quote from: Lando;696562
Sarcasm or stupidity? I can't decide.

Anyway, MS plans are nowhere, which is exactly where they're going.  Of course there won't be more phones with Windows than Android in 1 year, nor in 2 years, not even in 5 years.

Can you base your arguments on something before calling me stupid?
For me, a stupid person is the one who can't see that there are several other views, interpretations and analysis of the same data with different conclusions.
Your analysis is childish and superficial.

And, if you want to call me stupid again, make sure to, at least, skype me in a Video Call and say it looking at me.
Here's my ID: hbarcellos
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
Quote from: persia;696574
Metro is processor independent, why would you even think of running a desktop application on a tablet or heaven forfend, a phone?

I wouldn't run it on smartphone

lets say we have a hypothetical x86 smartphone running desktop Win 8

in smartphone mode - Only Metro GUI  exposed, runs only Metro compatible apps just like any current WP 7.X smartphone

Then I come home and hook it up on a monitor or big screen TV... or have a presentation to make at work- then it shifts into classic Win desktop mode and runs desktop apps on big screen.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:43:44 PM by WolfToTheMoon »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »
But if you have an ARM based tablet version of Office running on an ARM based Tablet Windows or Phone, why would you even care that the processor isn't X86?  M$ is cutting the thread tieing it to the Intel/AMD world.  If you can easily cross compile between Metro ARM and Metro X86, then you no longer have a developer/software issue.

The reason M$ failed in the tablet market despite having a 10 year lead was precisely because three people enjoy running desktop apps on a tablet and those three work for Microsoft.  Mobile Office will be a step towards correcting that mistake.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
Quote from: persia;696578
But if you have an ARM based tablet version of Office running on an ARM based Tablet Windows or Phone, why would you even care that the processor isn't X86?  M$ is cutting the thread tieing it to the Intel/AMD world.  If you can easily cross compile between Metro ARM and Metro X86, then you no longer have a developer/software issue.

The reason M$ failed in the tablet market despite having a 10 year lead was precisely because three people enjoy running desktop apps on a tablet and those three work for Microsoft.  Mobile Office will be a step towards correcting that mistake.

Office is just one application. There are numerous others that are not likely to get an ARM port, for various reasons.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
You cannot simply install any old Windows program onto the ARM version of Windows 8 (W8 RT) - the Win 8 RT platform (RT being the ARM based version of Win 8) is locked down in a fashion that compares to the Apple devices.

You cannot simply buy Photoshop and install it on the W8 ARM version, even if it did work.  You're stuck with the Windows store model, though I'm sure it won't take users long to figure out how to sideload apps.

W8 RT also does not support many of the Windows enterprise offerings, like Active Directory.  It'll be a complete bust in regards to the professional market, and the x86 W8 tablets will have terrible (in comparison to other tablets like the ipad) battery life just like the current W7 ones do.  

I tried a friends Samsung tablet today, which he's running W8 on.  It shipped initially with Win 7, and putting W8 on it made the experience better for usability, but the thing is still a complete pig weight and battery power wise.

Keep your eyes open, it's rumored MS is debuting a W8 RT tablet or two at their press event on Monday.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
For most people, it doesn't really matter what OS their phone is running.  As long as it makes and receives phone calls and texts, they just don't care.  Sooner or later those people will be buying smartphones because feature phones are on the way out.
WP* will suit them just as well as iOS or Android.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »
Being a fan of a dying (dead?) platform like the Amiga, I went and bought another dying platform!  I absolutely love my Nokia N9 and the N900 before it.  I figure at this point I'm going to be using either of them until the day I die.

I am going to be installing Baldur's Gate (via GemRB) on my N900 right now.  Pretty sure you'll never be able to do that on a Windows phone (they ported it to Android and iOS though, if I recall correctly).  But then without a stylus or keyboard, I don't see it being too terribly pleasant to play.

Personally I think Windows Phone was bound to fail and that the whole Microsoft / Nokia deal was simply so Microsoft could weaken Nokia, buy them out, and have all their patents.  At that point all hell is going to break loose!

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline partycentralpartygirl

• Show only replies by partycentralpartygirl
    • http://www.partycentralsupplies.com
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;696588
For most people, it doesn't really matter what OS their phone is running.  As long as it makes and receives phone calls and texts, they just don't care.  Sooner or later those people will be buying smartphones because feature phones are on the way out.
WP* will suit them just as well as iOS or Android.

Yeah that's the thing. At the moment mostly only tech savvy people have smartphones, they care about Apple (IOS) or they don't (Android)

When everyone with basic phones goes to get a new phone they will go with a simple smartphone that is cheap. I assume that this is the market MS is going for.

When Mom & Dad go shopping for a tablet for junior this Christmas they will grab the $199 Walmart tablet running Windows because that's the computer they have at home. Perhaps I will bump this thread in December because this is exactly what is going to happen.

The vast majority of people do not give a crap what OS their stuff is, just that it goes on Facebook and can play Angry Birds.

MS should just bundle Angry Birds with the OS and it will sell a trillion copies a second to the soccer mom's shopping at WalMart. (not a trillion) I'm sure that Bill can slap out a Angry Birds clone in a weekend in basic. They should just get Bill to do it.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »
I honestly don't think feature phones are going away any time soon; there's a lot of people out there (myself included) who don't need or want a smartphone and are entirely satisfied with a cheaper flip-phone that places and receives calls and (if we want to get really advanced) stores phone numbers. On a smartphone, that capability is always at least one extra click away (unless they just start putting a number pad on the home screen.) That's going to confuse Granny and irritate the hell out of the rest of us, especially considering we'd be paying extra for the privilege of putting more steps between us and our goal.

Smartphones are no longer a luxury item, so it's not like people who don't have one can't afford one (generally speaking.) Therefore, I can't see any reason that people who don't have one are suddenly going to get one, unless every manufacturer out there can get all the others to agree to suddenly stop producing the phones that are still selling in hopes of forcing people to upgrade to more expensive phones - and all it takes is one manufacturer breaking that agreement to bring the whole thing crashing down and leave them right where they are now, selling iOS and Android phones to the people who want them and feature phones to everybody else.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
I agree that many people, myself included, don't need or want smartphones, but when it comes to carrier-subsidized phones, feature phones are getting pushed out even at the very low end.  I'm going to be renewing my contract at the end of summer, and more than half of the phones available for talk&text(i.e. no data plan) are low-end smartphones.  The few feature phones that are still offered are old models and probably old stock.  There are no new feature phones being offered at all.
When given the choice between paying nothing for a $70 phone, or paying nothing for a $300 smartphone, most people will choose the latter, even if it's more tech than they need.

Quote from: slaapliedje;696596
Being a fan of a dying (dead?) platform like the Amiga, I went and bought another dying platform!  I absolutely love my Nokia N9 and the N900 before it.  I figure at this point I'm going to be using either of them until the day I die.

I am going to be installing Baldur's Gate (via GemRB) on my N900 right now.  Pretty sure you'll never be able to do that on a Windows phone (they ported it to Android and iOS though, if I recall correctly).  But then without a stylus or keyboard, I don't see it being too terribly pleasant to play.

Personally I think Windows Phone was bound to fail and that the whole Microsoft / Nokia deal was simply so Microsoft could weaken Nokia, buy them out, and have all their patents.  At that point all hell is going to break loose!

slaapliedje

Isn't there an Android port for one of the Nokia devices you mentioned?  I know that isn't what you bought it for, but it's nice to have that option just in case.  Dual booting might be an option.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 03:26:03 AM »
yeah, its sort of interesting to see how they've pushed smart phones down into the hundred dollar range, which used to be for decent feature phones.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 17, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;696602
Isn't there an Android port for one of the Nokia devices you mentioned?  I know that isn't what you bought it for, but it's nice to have that option just in case.  Dual booting might be an option.

Yeah, both of them have a semi-working port of Ice Cream Sandwich.  Due to some of the few closed off bits, they haven't quite gotten calls to work.  So while I could run Android software when dual-booted, I couldn't make or receive calls.

Hopefully the OpenMobile's ACL gets released (they say they are working on it) and then I could run all the Linux stuff, Qt stuff, AND the Android software.  Without actually having to run Android, which I don't really like.

It'd be like having an Amiga that runs all the Windows software :D  Then again, I think an Amiga that did that would probably require 4GB of ram or more as well.

Then again, being able to use a quick OS that is more open, and tweakable (my N9 came with grep!) is far more important to me than all the applications.  

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.