Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call in the roflcopter!  (Read 1331 times)

Description:

Offline KarlosTopic starter

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Call in the roflcopter!
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:30:01 PM »
Regardless of whether or not this happens to be true, it's still funny :D

Duke Nukem Forever slated for 2011 release :lol:

Article here

"We're in the polishing phase now. This is a game where we can not make a promise we can not fulfill. We need to get past the shock and awe and then we can go to all the retailers and first parties and work out a launch plan."

Why not? It's tradition :roflmao:
int p; // A

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Call in the roflcopter!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:45:39 PM »
Shows my age I reckon... :(

Been wondering what on earth a 'roflcopter' was, googled it and found...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=roflcopter

just leave's one more unanswered question, what's an 'uber' !!! :confused:

Sound like some middle eastern musical wind instrument to me... :)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
über is German for about....

From Wikipedia

The term in German

In German, über is used as a prefix as well as a word in its own right. Both uses indicate a state or action involving increased elevation or quantity in the physical sense, or superiority or excess in the abstract.
elevation: "überdacht" - roof-covered, roofed, [also: reconsidered, thought over]
quantity: "über 100 Meter" - more than 100 meters, "Überschall" - supersonic
superiority: "überlegen" - (adj) superior, elite, predominant. (verb) to consider
excess: "übertreiben" - to exaggerate, "überfüllt" - overcrowded
Über may be a preposition or an adverb depending on context. Eg. über etwas sprechen - to speak about something, über die Brücke - across the bridge.
Über also translates to over, above, meta, but mainly in compound words. The actual translation depends on context. One example would be Nietzsche's term Übermensch, discussed below; another example is the Deutschlandlied, which begins with the well-known words "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" meaning "Germany, Germany above everything" (though this strophe is not sung anymore).
The German word unter, meaning beneath or under, is antonymous to über. Unter can be found in words such as Untermensch, U-Bahn (Untergrundbahn = subway), U-Boot (Unterseeboot = submarine), as well as toponyms, such as Unter den Linden.
[edit]The term in English

[edit]Origins
The crossover of the term "über" from German into English goes back to the work of German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. In 1883, Nietzsche coined the term "Übermensch" to describe the higher state to which he felt men might aspire. The term was brought into English by George Bernard Shaw in the title to his 1903 play Man and Superman. During his rise to power, Adolf Hitler bastardized Nietzsche's term, using it in his descriptions of an Aryan master race. It was in this context that American Jewish comic book creator Jerry Siegel encountered the term and conceived the 1933 story "The Reign of Superman," in which "Superman" is "an evil mastermind with advanced mental powers".[1] Throughout the following decade, Siegel, and Joseph Shuster, recast Superman into the iconic American hero he subsequently became. It is through this association with Superman the hero that the term "über" carries much of its English sense implying irresistibility or invincibility.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:31:05 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:49:21 PM »
Quote from: Franko;578467
Shows my age I reckon... :(

Been wondering what on earth a 'roflcopter' was, googled it and found...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=roflcopter

just leave's one more unanswered question, what's an 'uber' !!! :confused:

Sound like some middle eastern musical wind instrument to me... :)

*Cough* it's just the language of a neighbouring country of yours, your language is based on it!
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Franko

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;578514
*Cough* it's just the language of a neighbouring country of yours, your language is based on it!

Have to disagree with you on this one, us true scots would never admit to our language being called English... :)

awe c'mon gezza brek ere n dinnay evun tri tae cumpare ra scoatish wi o taking wur ra wi ra sassanachs dae... :)

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:40:12 PM »
Quote from: Franko;578552
Have to disagree with you on this one, us true scots would never admit to our language being called English... :)

awe c'mon gezza brek ere n dinnay evun tri tae cumpare ra scoatish wi o taking wur ra wi ra sassanachs dae... :)

Oh, come on, give us a break here and don't even try to compare scottish without taking .... do..

The only bit I didn't quite get was "wur ra wi ra"...
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 09:57:19 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;578557
Oh, come on, give us a break here and don't even try to compare scottish without taking .... do..

The only bit I didn't quite get was "wur ra wi ra"...

Ahh... so Karlos has some Scottish relatives or Scottish blood in his family... :)

well the translation was good... 9 out of 10 for that... :D

The full translation should be...

Oh come on, give us break here and don't even try to compare the Scottish way of talking with the way that the English do... :roflmao:

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
Quote from: Franko;578562
Ahh... so Karlos has some Scottish relatives or Scottish blood in his family... :)

well the translation was good... 9 out of 10 for that... :D

Not quite, or at least not that I know of. However, I do originally come from the north east and some vernacular has clearly diffused across the border.

Also, an long-time forum member from Glasgow often used to drop the odd sentence in for comedic effect. Speaking of whom, not heard from Wilse in a long while :(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:03:06 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A